Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Which power amplification for different powered speakers ?
Which power amplification for different powered speakers ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 12:03 AM   #1
TanguyClt is offline TanguyClt  France
diyAudio Member

Default Which power amplification for different powered speakers ?

Hello, I have one 50W subwoofer and two 20W woofer and tweeter and I want to power them by the same amplifier by adding a crossover.

In an other post someone tell me that I had to amplifie the signal until 50W and split it by a 3 way crossover because the subwoofer receive almost all of the power. But when I do this, in some music, acute sound bad at high sound level.

I wondering if it is not because of the fact I amplifie in 50W but the tweeter are 20W. Is that possible ?
If so can you tell me what can I do to amplifie all these divices perfectly by using only a one 50W channel ?

Thanks for helping me and excuse me for my bad english (if it is) because I am french
Old 12th July 2018, 12:59 AM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi! You are doing well with the English - my French is very bad - c'est la vie!

The tweeter will only see around 20% of the 50W input - that is 10W.

A correctly designed crossover will make sure that each of your drivers (subwoofer, twin woofers and tweeter) will get their proper share of the total amplifier power.
Old 12th July 2018, 01:06 AM   #3
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

What kind of crossover are you using? Schematics and component values, please.
20 W tweeter is more than enough for a 50 W amplifier, it is not a problem.
Bad sound at high sound level might be amplifier clipping (you are reaching amplifier limits), or may be an inadequate crossover.
Old 12th July 2018, 04:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for your answers, I use this crossover witch I choose because of its frequences, indeed, frequences of the crossover are good for my speakers so I don't think I choose the wrong one:

1 pc Haut Parleur Frequence Diviseur 3 Voies Haut parleurs Audio De Voiture trois Crossover Diviseur 260 W Treble Mediant Basse Crossover Filtre dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

with this amp:
DC12 24V Mono canal 50 W TDA7492MV classe D amplificateur Numerique conseil dans Amplificateur de Electronique sur AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

But the fact is that in some musics it sound really good but in few others it is bad at the same sound level.

If the tweeter go with 10W, should I take a more powerfull amp ? like 100W to have 20W for my tweeter
Old 12th July 2018, 10:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The class D amp which you are using is not very expensive and is likely to produce distortion when turned up loud.

A higher quality amplifier would work better - I would use a class A/B amp.

Also, the amp's power supply has to be strong - which supply are you using?

The crossover is probably OK, but won't have been designed to give the best results with the drivers you are using.

Give details of your drivers - someone may suggest a better crossover design.

However, I would want to improve the amp before looking at the crossover.

Last edited by Galu; 12th July 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12th July 2018, 10:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

More questions!

What kind of music does the amp sound good on?

What kind of music does the amp sound bad on?
Old 12th July 2018, 02:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It sound good for most of the musics, I noticed that the acute are shrill in this song : "stick figure fire on the horizon" around 1:09 min when the singer is singing. I agree it should be the amp but if I change it, do I have to take a more powerfull one ? and I have not too much money so is it possible to find a A/B amp around 20$ ?

My speakers are:
tweeter: Visaton TW 6 NG, 8 ohm (Tweeter a cone Visaton TW 6 NG, 8 ohm, 60 x 60 mm)
woofer: FaitalPRO 3FE22, 8 ohm (Haut-parleur large-bande FaitalPRO 3FE22, 8 ohm, 3 pouce)
subwoofer: Monacor SPH-210, 8 ohm (Haut-parleur Monacor SPH-210, 8 ohm, 210 mm)
Old 12th July 2018, 03:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

my power supply is a home made 12.6V battery made with 9 18650 lithium battery. Can the power supply affect the sound ?
Old 12th July 2018, 06:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanguyClt View Post
my power supply is a home made 12.6V battery made with 9 18650 lithium battery. Can the power supply affect the sound ?
It certainly can!

The best supply voltage for your amp is 25Vdc. Do not use greater or smaller than that.

I would not use lithium cells - two high capacity Yuasa 12V sealed lead acid batteries, connected in series,would be better.

Besides, 9 x 3.7V lithium batteries, if connected in series, would give 33V!

The amp won't like that at all!

NOTE: A 18650 lithium cell is 3.7V NOT 1.4V!

Last edited by Galu; 12th July 2018 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added a note
Old 12th July 2018, 06:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Try using just 7 of your lithium cells and see if this makes a difference.

7 x 3.7V = 25.9V

The amp can take up to 26V maximum.

Which power amplification for different powered speakers ?Hide this!Advertise here!