Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Ribbon Tweeters
Ribbon Tweeters
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2018, 10:27 AM   #1
Deano452 is offline Deano452  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Ribbon Tweeters

I'm looking to replace my Monacor ribbon tweeters which are okay but just , I'm looking at Founteks and am open to suggestions . It's in a three way, woofers are Vistaton ws200s, Morel dome midrange, Philips/ Monacor Ribbon . Sealed enclosure crossovers 850hz, 4500hz 2nd order . The pic is a bit lousy but you get the idea. PhotoEditor-1508042569075.jpeg
Old 11th July 2018, 12:22 PM   #2
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Why do you wish to replace them?
Old 11th July 2018, 12:50 PM   #3
starkeyg is offline starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Believe you need to rethink just changing out the tweeters. As the crossover network needs to be designed for the speakers used, you could easily make things worse. Unless you are willing to install the tweeters, test and redo the crossover network, you are just gambling that sound will be "better".
And crossover networks are quite hard to get right.
Old 11th July 2018, 01:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

On certain notes the tweeter really distorts, these I bought second hand. After a bit of research I found that what appeared to be their replacement, which has an fs of 4500 Hz . I really would like cross a bit lower anyway. Also in the mood to seriously change the crossover components
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTL View Post
Why do you wish to replace them?
Old 11th July 2018, 01:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeyg View Post
Hi,

Believe you need to rethink just changing out the tweeters. As the crossover network needs to be designed for the speakers used, you could easily make things worse. Unless you are willing to install the tweeters, test and redo the crossover network, you are just gambling that sound will be "better".
And crossover networks are quite hard to get right.
Yes I should have mentioned that I was going to pull the crossovers out and redesign them . Thinking of going with external crossovers from now on anyway.
Old 11th July 2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

What about an AMT? Like this or this or even this.

My Beyma AMTs are better than any Fountek I've heard (but much more money). WES in Ashfield still have most of the Founteks.
Old 11th July 2018, 05:36 PM   #7
jholtz is online now jholtz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano452 View Post
On certain notes the tweeter really distorts, these I bought second hand. After a bit of research I found that what appeared to be their replacement, which has an fs of 4500 Hz . I really would like cross a bit lower anyway. Also in the mood to seriously change the crossover components
I've used the Fountek NeoCD3.0 extensively in Statements designs and the AST2560 Brett linked to in the Bordeaux.

The NeoCD3.0 works best if crossed around 3.5K (smaller Fountek need a higher crossover) or slightly above and the AST2560 can cross as low as 2K. Both measure extremely well if used correctly and crossed appropriately.

Both are very nice sounding with each having it's own character but I like the AST2560 the best. Super clean and accurate sounding. The AST2560 is more money than the NeoCD3.0 here in the US.

HTH

Jim
Old 14th July 2018, 05:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholtz View Post
I've used the Fountek NeoCD3.0 extensively in Statements designs and the AST2560 Brett linked to in the Bordeaux.

The NeoCD3.0 works best if crossed around 3.5K (smaller Fountek need a higher crossover) or slightly above and the AST2560 can cross as low as 2K. Both measure extremely well if used correctly and crossed appropriately.

Both are very nice sounding with each having it's own character but I like the AST2560 the best. Super clean and accurate sounding. The AST2560 is more money than the NeoCD3.0 here in the US.

HTH

Jim
Thanks Jim
Old 14th July 2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

If you have a morel dome mid, I'm guessing you can get away with a higher crossover- Dayton AMT 2-4 looks pretty good for price.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have not seen any true ribbon tweeters that perform well below 7 or 8kHz, regardless of price and reputation.
Above that they can be very good though.

Ribbon TweetersHide this!Advertise here!