Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kappalite, B&C, Ciare, Heil Modular 3-Way build thread
Kappalite, B&C, Ciare, Heil Modular 3-Way build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2018, 05:21 PM   #11
bbutterfield is offline bbutterfield  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you cut the quick tube into half rounds, or did you find a source for it already cut? If you cut it, what was it like working with it?
Old 12th July 2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

The tube was very easy to cut. I laid the tubing on the floor, flat against a wall to keep it perfectly straight and from moving. I then took a perfectly flat and straight 1" x 4" piece of aluminum bar I have, and placed it at approximately a 45 degree angle to the floor and tube, held it in place and drew a straight line the length of the tube. I then rotated the tube in a circle, to the next cut mark with the flat bar still in place, and made the second line down the tube, exactly half way around.

Keeping the tube in place, jammed against the wall. I took a BRAND NEW blade in an Olfa knife ( Narrower than a regular razor knife's blades are), and bracing my cutting hand against the wall, I was able to cut a perfectly straight cut on my line, down the length of the tube. Your mileage may vary here, as I also route freehand. It is easy to clamp a cut guide into place using your straight edge you used for marking, if you prefer.

The skinny blade on an Olfa style knife cuts the tubing like it wasn't there. Making for very easy straight cuts. You will be surprised how easy it is. And the inside of concrete tubes are faced with a water resistant finish, which prevents water based adhesives from swelling the carboard. I have used 30 minute set silicone, expanding foam ( my favorite ) , hot glue, wood glue, etc as an adhesive on these tubes. They all stick well. Taping, clamping, weighting down while using expanding foam is easiest, dries quickest, sands down easiest, and holds like it's never letting go.

While it is a slight learning curve to create it, following what I did in photos should prove to be way easier than you would think. I can now make the round sfor a pair of speakers, and glue them into place in about 1.5 hours. They are ready to mess with the next morning, or about 5 hours later if left in the sun.

Oh yeah... I put down a bead of the expanding foam first, then place the tube over it gently. I then take my pre cut pieces of the foil tape and gently push the tube into perfect alignment with the front side first, and tape that tightly into place. I then roll it to the back side and form and tape the back side of the tube into place. I then pull off my NECESSARY work gloves of choice, and wait for the foam to dry completely with CLEAN of spray foam hands, lol.

Here is another pair of speakers I am working on. These quarter rounds are made from 4" carboard tube. Made the same way.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20171206_160904 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20171206_160851 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20171206_160832 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hope this help you out !

Last edited by Flaxxer; 12th July 2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:48 PM   #13
RobWells is offline RobWells  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
Ha ha ha! I was waiting on this, Rob. LOL I tried making a couple of jigs, but somehow each one I messed up before it was finished. So everything you see was freehand routed, with a 1/2 hp router, and a Dremel tool, without any guides. All freehand. Thus the mistakes I will be trimming with Bondo, before I finish them.
I couldn't see any mistakes, I asked as I know they're a bugger to do and thought you may have an easy jig solution (when I've done them before I've drawn around the driver on a piece of 3mm mdf and cut it out with a jigsaw, then glued onto the baffle.)

Rob.
Old 13th July 2018, 06:34 AM   #14
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

I did not have as much time today as I had wished to work on the speakers. I did finish gluing up the bass bin's side, after lining the walls with Denim batts. I also cut a top plate for one of the top cabinets. I want to smooth the roundovers tomorrow, if at all possible. I am ready to FINISH the top cabs!

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20180711_153704 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20180711_153758 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here, you can see how the interchangeable port system will slide in from the bottom rear.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.20180712_115553 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kappalite, B&C, Ciare, Heil Modular 3-Way build threadHide this!Advertise here!