Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators Build
Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2018, 12:11 PM   #21
PedroDeMio is offline PedroDeMio  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Sure has small adau1701 based DSP board:

Sure Electronics' webstore DSP
Thanks, I will take a look
Old 13th August 2018, 12:52 PM   #22
Jared is offline Jared
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jared
I am just starting with sigma studio to use that board. they are $18 on ebay!
Old 16th August 2018, 02:30 PM   #23
saniiiii is offline saniiiii
diyAudio Member

Hey, looks great, a lot of effort and well executed!
Tho, it could have been planned a bit better imo.
As mentioned, ADAU1701-DSP Boards or similar are the way to go. Well above beyond anything active circuits could achieve here.
MDF should not be used in such portable applications imo, too heavy, too easy to destroy. Better go for plywood or something. If you are using a CNC/3D-printer anyway, i'd recommend a well braced plastic enclosure. Could reduce your outer volume a lot!

regards!
Old 2nd September 2018, 04:04 PM   #24
greygreg is offline greygreg
diyAudio Member

Awesome, looking at the photo's I felt jealous hahaha I'm still stuck on my bluetooth speaker jbl and doss soundbox touch I wish I can make my own like that someday great work by the way!
Old 7th September 2018, 12:28 PM   #25
Jonhny is offline Jonhny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

How is it going? Any updates?
Old 9th September 2018, 08:35 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates

Assembled one crossover and been listening for a while, without doubt is the best sounding speaker I've made so far, full sound without being fatiguing whatsoever, all the work done with the measurements really paid off, and thanks a lot to kimmosto for the amazing software and the tips, mainly about my first crossover layout that had a not so good power response.

I bet that if I had went with that design the listening experience wouldn't be so pleasuring, I say that because the speaker has a great definition, the highs are really present, but a bit more than that and it would be bad

Click the image to open in full size.

Also used varnish on the laminated one and really liked the end result

Now, a few issues, the TDA7498 is being used to the limit at high levels, the high boost in the bass causes distortion in the highs, if I sense that I need to operate them louder I will get another amp and make them bi-amped

Second, the idle current consumption is a bit high, 100 mA, for the outlet powered one that's fine, but for mine that will be powered by battery's would be great to lower that, I will see if I can find some low power op amps, still, 33 h battery life at low volume is great, and 7 h or more at full power

I'd like to finish one of them since my father's birthday is in 10 days, I don't know if it will be possible, I predict that making the grill fit nicely will involve a lot of work, besides that I just need to assemble the second crossover and put everything inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I am just starting with sigma studio to use that board. they are $18 on ebay!
Good to know, I may try them.

Played around a bit with Sigma studi, but not quite sure if I would manage to do the band limited limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniiiii View Post
Hey, looks great, a lot of effort and well executed!
Tho, it could have been planned a bit better imo.
As mentioned, ADAU1701-DSP Boards or similar are the way to go. Well above beyond anything active circuits could achieve here.
MDF should not be used in such portable applications imo, too heavy, too easy to destroy. Better go for plywood or something. If you are using a CNC/3D-printer anyway, i'd recommend a well braced plastic enclosure. Could reduce your outer volume a lot!

regards!
Thanks, this is more a learning exercise, since the first portable speaker I've made I wanted to make a equalizer PCB like this, so going DSP would defeat that purpose, and was a great project to test the quality of JLCPCB

I think I need to clarify the portable I have in mind, my fathers one will stand in his desk at all times, mine I will use around the house and mainly in the workshop, if I take them out will be a few times a year for a barbecue os something like that, it's not portable in the sense to go camping or take to a festival, compact battery powered speaker would be a more appropriate term

Would love do to a full printed speaker, unfortunately my printer is no big enough and it would take a lot of time to print, I may try some smaller project with this idea

Actually, the box itself is quite light using 9mm MDF, is has a lot of holes for the drivers and passive radiators, and they weight a lot more than the box, each passive radiator needs 80g to achieve the 40Hz tunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygreg View Post
Awesome, looking at the photo's I felt jealous hahaha I'm still stuck on my bluetooth speaker jbl and doss soundbox touch I wish I can make my own like that someday great work by the way!
Thanks, I have a JBL flip 4 and have to say for the size the sound is really good, use it a lot around the house and attached to my backpack when riding a bike or skating
Old 6th January 2019, 09:01 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Just a long overdue update

Still no finished, lots of headache trying to connect the bluetooth module, burned 4 of them so far, so I closed it up and using only the analog input

What I can say is that there isn't anyone who wasn't impressed by listening it in this few months

I bought a higher quality module and hope it will work, this way I can finish the one for my father and start working on mine

Speaking of that, I'm going full active in it, two TDA7498 boards and a ADAU1701 board from Sure

This is what I have so far, the main modification is I will cut the whole bottom off and make a removable aluminum plate to house all electronics, easier to assemble and maintain if needed

Since I've never done an active speaker I may have done something wrong on the crossover

Old 7th March 2019, 07:03 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

New toys arrived

But I will not start playing with them until the passive one is finished

Old 6th April 2019, 08:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

New Bluetooth module, a higher quality one, but no solution

To be honest this whole having the filter ground at a different level that the true ground has been a headache

As last try I just ordered an automotive ground loop isolator
Old 14th May 2019, 12:58 PM   #30
Jonhny is offline Jonhny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

How is it going for you?

Portable Bluetooth Speaker Build With Passive Radiators BuildHide this!Advertise here!