horn, bandpass, horn, synergy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I juste googled "Danley j6-42" ( image search )

I believe OP is pretty darn close.

kYPyOFq.jpg

Here's his speculation of how it's designed

CgynN1Q.jpg

dc6Gq9i.jpg

9ZE2k1I.jpg

Here's the pics that appeared on a Russian site in the last few weeks

Pretty wild!

dc6Gq9i.jpg

Here's the pic from some Russian website

CB5hC5I.jpg

I made a 3D model in Hornresp and 123D. This isn't exacting, but gets you in the ballpark. The round half cylinder is intended to represent the woofers in the horn.

ZDVZ0t8.jpg

Here's the hornresp model

GhfJjCw.jpg

Here's the predicted response, which is consistent with the published data. 146dB isn't too shabby!

Yr7WVnJ.jpg

This particular speaker will need a high pass to keep the woofers from blowing up.

Great job Patrick

Tough drivers considering the volumes, compression ratios (judging from the images) and alignment it is housed in, I believe this is similar, a light version, of what they deploy in the BC subs, at least up to where it ports into the main aperture, the difference being that in this case the boundary part of it is replace by a synergy slot function.

fQ0w15a.jpg

Having the horn 'neck down' in the center seems to do virtually nothing to the frequency response. This is a 'normal' horn overlayed with the exact same horn but it 'necks down' to 50% of the SD.

I did this sim using a single B&C 8NDL51.

Ktzx9Fm.jpg

R1rbyC7.jpg

I ran some sims using the hornresp wavefront simulator, and it seems to indicate that a fraction of the output is getting reflected down the throat when it 'necks down.' In other words, 'necking down' creates higher order modes.

I don't know if hornresp can simulate HOMs; I don't think so. So this is likely why they're not showing up in the frequency response.

It would probably be fairly trivial to come up with a model in axidriver, and axidriver can definitely simulate HOMs.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if HOMs are even a concern at these frequencies. For instance, tapped horns have TONS of higher order modes, you can see that in the measurements over at data-bass. And tapped horns sound great.

So the HOM issue may only be a concern in the upper midrange and treble.

Reactions: 1 user
GhfJjCw.jpg

On a side note, the J6 is an absolutely gonzo design. When I was doing the 3D model it's hard to believe how small this thing is. This thing is about 50% larger than a SH50 and appears to be legitmately 12dB louder at least. Yowza.

As Martinsson noted, it's basically a front loaded horn sub that happens to have a Synergy horn 'tucked' into the fold. This thing would be a real problem solver for someone doing live sound, this ONE box can replace three or four boxes.

It would be interesting to scale it down to about 25% of the size... (Wheels start turning in head...)

Last edited:
2619648141_2fce72125d_b.jpg

For instance, this SH-25 has half the beamwidth of an SH50 and it's about double the volume and double the depth.

That's a bummer if you're carting these things in and out of venues every week. That's why the Paraline and VDOSC and all their variations are so ubiquitous in the prosound world. Once in a blue moon, you'll see someone use a ribbon, but they're rare.

For HIFI, how many of us need < 60x60 or even 80-90x60? Not many I imagine, even for three channel, so can be [much] shorter, though of course [much] 'fatter'.

GM

For me, the J6 has a couple of interesting use cases:

1) I live in California, where a 'starter home' is $1,000,000 and I'm so close to my neighbor, I can hear when they turn on their faucet. I've already had my neighbors yell at me for listening to podcasts while working in my backyard. It would be 'neat' to have a speaker that I can focus on a super narrow spot, like a single spot in the backyard.

2) Horn loading the woofers in a Unity horn allows you to use smaller woofers. IE, the J6 uses eight 10" woofers for maximum output. If someone wanted something a bit less gonzo, you might be able to use 6" or 7" woofers that are horn loaded, instead of the 12" woofers used in the SH50. Basically squeezing a few more decibels of output out of a small woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.