Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Questions about speaker building
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2018, 03:20 PM   #1
WillHoog is offline WillHoog  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about speaker building

Hi, I am planning on building my first pair of speakers but I have a limited budget so I can't afford to start small and get bigger, building multiple speakers. I plan on building a pair of large 3 way speakers with 12" drivers. I understand this would be a big project but I thought it be fun to build speakers of this size. I have experience with audio and music production but not hands on building, soldering, etc...

I have learned a good bit from reading and watching videos online but I can't find direct tutorials showing how and where to connect wires from the woofer to the cross over to the terminal or explanations to other things. I have 7 main questions and if there is anything to say extra about speaker building I would appreciate that too.

- For each speaker I plan on having 2 12" inch woofers on the bottom, right above those 1 12" mid range driver, and above that a tweeter.

1. I found a 8 ohm 3 way crossover on amazon that has positive and negative holes for connection for a woofer, mid range, and tweeter. These labeled holes cleared some things up but I am still confused how I will get the woofer part to connect to 2 woofers when there is only enough holes for 1.

2. I am also confused about using these tools meant for measuring frequencys or Hz or something that I saw in some videos. Will that even be necessary if I am buying a pre-made crossover and not making one? Like are the pre-made crossovers plug and play or do I need to do something to them to make sure the frequencys come out even?
3. The woofers I plan on getting say they are 8 ohm but the midrange driver says 4 ohm, would this be a problem?

4. The terminals seem to have rca right and left input but each speaker would only need one (meaning one speaker is right and one is left), how would this work?

5. I couldn't find a video showing where to put subwoofer ventilation for normal speakers.

6. How are these DIY speakers all powered? I never see any installation of a power switch or plug.

7. I saw some people stuff the inside of their DIY speakers with foam puffy stuff, Should I do this too and why?

Last edited by WillHoog; 2nd July 2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to ask some stuff
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:40 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum! I will move your post over to the Multi-Way forum later today, where is should get better views and response.
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:44 PM   #3
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Welcome

Benvingut
Old 2nd July 2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Welcome!

Prepare for a long learning curve!
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Beat ya to it Pano. Will, welcome to diyAudio. Hope your project goes well.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

1. The two 8ohm woofers should be connected in parallel and the combination connected to the crossover. Remember to connect positive to positive and negative to negative.
  2. Forget about frequency measurement tools for now!
  3. The two woofers in parallel equal 4ohm which matches the 4ohm of the midrange driver. Unfortunately you have an 8ohm crossover network. Ideally you require a 4ohm one.
  4. These terminals are unlikely to be RCA sockets. They are probably individual sockets which accept 4mm banana plugs - a red one to go to the positive input of the crossover and a black one to go to the negative input of the crossover.
  5. Do you mean that you want to find the correct diameter and length of port required to tune a bass reflex enclosure?
  6. I presume you want to make passive speakers which will be powered from an external amplifier. In that case, there is no power switch or plug on the speaker - only on the external amplifier. Only active loudspeakers have the amplification built in and therefore require a power lead.
  7. Stuffing absorbs the unwanted sound the loudspeaker drivers produce inside the box. If you build a reflex enclosure you only line the walls with absorbent. A sealed enclosure should be lightle filled with absorbent.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

P.S. Your midrange speaker should be in a separate sealed compartment within the larger, overall enclosure so that it is not affected by the action of the two woofers.
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

First of all, thank you for your quick and helpful response, I'm glad I joined the site.

1. Would parallel connection mean soldering 2 wires to each hole? (I should use 16/2 speaker cable right?)

4. What adapter or wires should I get to connect the terminal to the amp?

5. I meant where on the back of the speaker and how big it should be for the 2 subs

and also your saying I should have a board in between and have the mid range and tweeter in the same compartment? If I did that would that mean having 2 different crossovers and terminals since there are 2 different areas inside?

If you have time it would be great if you or someone g=could recommend a crossover or crossovers that I should use because I'm seeing a range of them from $5 to $30
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

oh and also would it be a good Idea to have a tweeter horn in staid of a tweeter?
My JBL studio monitors have something like it and I saw someone use a tweeter horn with their big DIY speakers
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:51 PM   #10
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you haven't yet bought anything, maybe consider getting a kit. All the decisions / measuring / crossover stuff has already been done, so there is much less to learn.

e.g. this looks very good:
Denovo Audio Maximus-12 Speaker Kit

Or look up pi speakers.

Questions about speaker buildingHide this!Advertise here!