Usher 8945A +9950-20tweeter soft dome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, this is a project for anyone to copy for home use.

First, there is one design flaw, I use 2 8945 per enclosure , one only as passive radiator, this could be substituted with a decent passive radiator for a nice cost decrease.

Box is 9wx14dx23tall, at edges (roughly) Material is 3/4 high quality spruce plywood with a oak finish.

For sound treatment: front baffle has a sound absorbing outside vinyl like sheet.

Bottom is the passive radiator, middle is the tweeter, top is the active woofer.

Inside is 1/2 bag of poly fiber , + vinyl sound dampening on all surfaces.

Tweeter is inserted flush, woofers are inserted only 2-3 milimeter into front baffle and have Inside 'wave guide' routed to help back air flow.

Box is constructed like a classic BBC box with multiple screws and sealing strips.

XO : bold, parts which sould be exact.

Woofer: 3rd order:
2.4mh (0.15R) bypassed with 10R
13uf to ground
0.39mh

Tweeter 3rd order:
13uf
0.3mh to ground,
7uf,
+ ( Z series: 7.5R+1.7mh+13uf, to ground)
and last, db Divider: 17R to ground, 3R in series.

Personal tweaking and tolerance to suit your room:

woofer: main inductor 2.4mh +/- 0.1mh , last inductor 0.3mh+/- 0.1mh (I use 0.39mh for my room.)

tweeter: 13uf +/- 0.5uf.
7uf +/- 0.5uf
the 13uf Z filter cap can be +/- 0.5 uf depending on your liking

The L pad is supposed to be 14R +/- 1R, however I like 17R, experiment.

in MTM, the stiffness is too much, sound constricted.

even with one driver with a bigger inductor. it is a small improvement.

In ported there is a boom bass which is very uneven.

With only one driver the bass is shy. with the passive one this improves. the cross over has plenty of baffle compensation..

the critical design point, if the builder has the equipment is to cross the woofer and tweeter at approximatively 2250 +/- 25 hz, done by ear, this is best. this implies tweaking the values for which I gave a range of tolerance.

Last edited:
when you consider the effort to build this speaker and the kit which is around 900$ with everything. this is cheap for the sound it gives.

I don't mind to waste a driver of 100$ , I connect the coil to the ground wire, like a feedback for EMF. I think it might help the sound to have a voice coil..

I would venture to say this sound as good as 3500$ commercial speakers. and the best is that it sounds good unlike so many internet kits. It's got a good bass with détails, a good midrange, good détails, good high pitch with plenty of space and Imaging, more over it has this shouting voices controled in the 500 - 1000 hz , very hifi in terms of frequency response, no major dips or hips. Timing is also very nice. It can play loud.

It took me 6 years to develop the XO, first I thought I would never make this sound right, I keep trying with periods of rest until it sounded acceptable. That was my only goal, making an acceptable speaker.

News of the project, System7 commented on the impedance. And I thought I could redesign the XO with help of computer simulation for better phase and better fidelity.

However, the new XO has a 3 db dip at 190 hz which isn't very good and a 3 db bump at around 2800hz caused by the driver resonance...

This needs to be fixed sooner or later :)

tweeter 3 order :
5 uf , 0,4 mh, 10 uf
L-pad 4R + 20R //

woofer input // filter : 2.4mh +5R + 30uf(this should be lowerer I think to boost 190 hz dip)
series filter to gnd : 0.3mh 5R 50uf

3 order = 1.8mh 9 uf 0.2 mh

smooth sounding accurate phase and no low R xo with less parts possible:

Attachments

• usher final XO.jpg
    usher final XO.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 215
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.