8" speaker driver replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
System7, you are a wealth of information!
I watched the Harbeth link you sent, and found some others to watch as well. Very clever man, I guess with 40years of speaker design behind him he would know an awful lot about speakers, crossovers, cabinets and what 'sounds'good. I particularly like his comments about recorded voice, Very interesting!

I'm still tinkering...

I've fabricated new front and rear baffles, the font bring the 8" driver and the tweeter closer together. I'll fire the two ports rearward, and I'm going to add another 8"driver for the sub 120hz signals. The venom sub that I have is was very cheap, and is probably quite poor quality, but I figure if I keep tuning the lower cabinet till I get a nice roll off, I should end up with a nice sound.

Either that or I buy some decent drivers. The visaton drivers look very nice.

What's everyone's opinion on ribbon tweeters, or decent quality tweeters?

Thanks again to all for the advice ��

The theory of reflex aka Helmholtz resonators is that it really doesn't matter if the port is on the front or back. Frequencies are so low it's irrelevant.

I do find front ports give me the option of placing close to a wall, however. You put a bit of carpet or such behind the port to tame any midrange leak.

The main reason I use Visaton quite a lot is they come with the Boxsim modeller. The W200S/8 bass is average. The TW70 tweeter is mediocre IMO. After some struggles, I ended up using a much better Monacor HT22-8 tweeter in my WLM clone:

694142d1532822908-woofer-cabinet-designs-pitch-visaton-w200s-plus-monacor-ht22-8-cone-tweeter-jpg

My musician friend, and they have the good ear, approves of them. He said: "You Good! They Clear!" :D

I would really prefer to do them closed box for the final build. I just like that sort of bass.

Tweeters is such a vast subject, it is hard to know where to start.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.