Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They seriously not at all look different/more difficult to mount to me. I could even mount two drivers with one of the mounting screws overlapping each other if I want to. I always mount the tweeter in a separate chamber to keep the tweeter picking up vibrations.
And I know there are even better €300 (beryllium) tweeters out there but I choose these because of their small size.

Just something random. I’m re-reading the thread for a bit to process it and I notice I’m making a lot of mistakes. I’m on vacation so doing al this on my phone. I didn’t mean to just copy and repost that entire piece of text and I meant I always put the tweeter in a separate chamber to keep it from picking up vibrations.

design with the 604010. What you think? Proud of me? :) I think the little tweeter looks beautiful and the centers of the mid and tweeter now are only 13,85 cm away from each other against the 15,96 cm with the 662000. It also saves some internal volume and when I for no reason was comparing the performance of the WO24P-4 to that of the WO24P-8 I actually noticed two WO24P-8's in parallel go a hertz or two lower than two WO24P-4's in the same enclosure volume because of the higher Vas and lower Fs so I quickly emailed Soundimports. The WO24P-4's weren't on their way yet. :worship:

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-08-05 om 00.17.53.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-08-05 om 00.17.53.png
    578.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
And I’m not trying to prove you wrong and I believe the TW29BN is a very good tweeter but to capture it at the end of the review Vance said “I’m guessing this is a fine sounding product” which doesn’t seem nearly as enthusiastic to me as he was about the Illuminator.

To my understanding he is only measuring to the tweeters. I had the chance to listen to them, and I can say only WOW they are good!

In regards to vibrations, putting the tweeter in its own champer will not necessarily dampen vibrations - It will rather reduce back pressure which is normally not an issue at all.
SB made a so called "Two part aluminium faceplate with integrated mechanical decoupling".

Nice with the small center to center distance. You should be safe there, but longer distance should not be a problem in regards to the theory "realm". For instance if you cross at 2200 Hz = 345/2200 = 15.6 cm is max distance center to center.

Your speaker looks nice - But how high is it? I still think you have a serious issue with diffraction with that placement of the tweeter. Simulating (I dont know where on the front baffle you have positioned the tweeter) Diffraction will make a raising response around 1 Khz, a negative notch around 2 Khz and a positive notch around 3,5 Khz. Will work MUCH better with a placement of the tweeter centered and near the top of the baffle.

Okay. The TW29BN will still be harder to match to the MW16P-4 though because of that 95 dB sensitivity. Is such a big gap difficult to address in the crossover or is it no more than normal? Tell me because again, I don’t know how crossovers work at all yet. The 604010 is a perfect match.
So than it comes down to: which is better? A super good tweeter which is a perfect match to the mid woofer by itself and can be placed closer to the mid woofer. Or a super duper good driver that has even lower distortion and flatter response but has a 4,5 dB sensitivity gap with the mid woofer and can’t be mounted as close.

In total the cabs are 130 cm high. Minus 2,5 cm for the foot stand and 5 cm for the slanted top makes for a baffle of 122,5 cm. the edges of the baffle are rounded and the tweeter is 26,5 cm down from the top of the baffle. I designed the speaker so that the tweeter and mid woofer are at/above ear height.

In regards to vibrations, putting the tweeter in its own champer will not necessarily dampen vibrations - It will rather reduce back pressure which is normally not an issue at all.
SB made a so called "Two part aluminium faceplate with integrated mechanical decoupling".

Does the TW29BN also have this? I’m going to decouple the tweeters so I’ll have to put them I a sealed chamber anyway because my decoupling system isn’t quite airtight and even if it was it wouldn’t work in the same chamber with the woofers because the tweeter will start acting as a passive radiator which only makes the vibrations it experiences worse obviously. But it’s nice to know it has that feature.

Wait. Is the part of the tweeter like the motor and diaphragm truly decoupled like you would to decouple a driver to keep it from picking up vibrations?! If it seriously is truly decoupled I wouldn’t have to decouple the driver myself which wouldn’t have been a problem but it’s still way easier if I don’t have to. It also save some space because I don’t need to be able to stick my hand in the tweeter chamber to fit the decoupling system. Without the need of the decoupling system I can just make the tweeter chamber as slim as the driver.

Last edited:
All those pros do make it very attractive. Those 4,5 dBs aremore difficult than 0 dB but are addressable in the crossover but on the other hand it has a flatter respons which (away from baffle step compensation) doesn’t have to be adjusted so it will probably a simpler crossover at the end of the day. And then the internal decoupling and obviously the sound you say comes out of it. I think it might indeed be the best choice when I cross it low enough so the wavelength of the crossover frequency is bigger than the distance between the driver centres.
Oddly with a quantity of two they’re actually less expensive than the 604010’s at Speaker&Co.

They’re a lot cheaper actually. Two 604010’s at Speaker&Co are €628,76. Two TW29BN-B’s at Speaker&Co are €606,58 but at Compagnie Acoustique Belgique they are just €559,-. Compagnie Acoustique Belgique doesn’t even have the 604010 but the Scan-Speak they do have is a lot more expensive than at Speaker&Co so the TW29BN-B’s actually are a lot cheaper.

Again my new design now with one of, if not the best commercially available beryllium tweeter with internal mechanical decoupling and a slightly longer port for further improved bass response from the now two WO24P-8's in parallel!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-08-05 om 18.58.32.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-08-05 om 18.58.32.png
    558.8 KB · Views: 235
I just noticed the MR16P-4 actually has slightly less distortion and a slightly flatter response. It also has a higher sensitivity of 92 dB. I think it will be a better option actually. I'm sorry to start about the mids again but we didn't have much discussion about the MW vs MR right? There wasn't really a right or wrong. But now that I look at some measurements. The MR16P-4 actually seems slightly better.

[...]Does anybody have distortion graphs of the 602010? [...]
https://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/pdf/test/2012/D3004_602010HH.pdf

The distortion vs. level has been made at 1500Hz.
Quite a performer, I'd say, especially for those needing to cross over low.

Edit: It's about the dome tweeter, D3004/602010, and not his Ring Radiator Counterpart R3004/602010
Test here: https://www.hifisound.de/out/media/...kvpJyZVzYUsLAtf99VPjjWoHWN0FZ5zQ6pmGJRg==.pdf

I'd take the dome variant.

Last edited:
Does the TW29BN also have this? I’m going to decouple the tweeters so I’ll have to put them I a sealed chamber anyway because my decoupling system isn’t quite airtight and even if it was it wouldn’t work in the same chamber with the woofers because the tweeter will start acting as a passive radiator which only makes the vibrations it experiences worse obviously. But it’s nice to know it has that feature.

Well, no. The tweeters will not work as a passive woofer. If the is air around the tweeters you will just have a higher air leakage. Not desirable though. Vibrations are a difficult topic, and many ways to work around it. Vibrations will not only come from the woofer, but also from the front baffle and the cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.