Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2018, 09:52 AM   #291
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Ulrik from SB-Acoustics says sealed is a good way to go and he would do it himself as well. He explained to me how to correctly tune a sealed enclosure for use in a active DSP driven system. He said I don't necessarily need the Qtc at 0,707 but actually will want it higher for this application. He said is should make the box volume smaller (Qtc higher) and look for the volume at which the F3 and excursion are at a optimal ratio. I found 58 L has the lowest F3 at 46,56 Hz and slightly lower excursion. Smaller than that made the F3 rise quickly as expected but then approaching 52 L it got slightly lower again to 47 Hz but with obviously even less excursion. What is the reason for this suddenly lower F3 in a way smaller box? And does it have any negative side effects like weird resonances or is it usable and will just offer great control over excursion?
Old 25th October 2018, 12:30 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

I've calculated the volume with the optimal balans between excursion and F3 by multiplying the F3 by the excursion in mm at 20 Hz. The lowest product will be the optimal. The optimal is at 51 L but there is that raising F3 at 56 L. Is that because the tuning frequency of the enclosure is one octave above the Fs of the driver? Because the tuning frequency at 56 L is about 49 Hz. Can I make the box 51 L without any problems? because it will be the best.
Old 25th October 2018, 07:01 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Ulrik Schmidt from SB-Acoustics said it's weird/incorrect that the F3 is at lowest with a Qtc higher than 0,707 or a smaller volume. Which seems logical. Maybe I'm stupid that I only know this by now but I thought a Qtc of 0,707 will only give the flattest response. I asked him what he thinks is going wrong and what I should do. I can't really imagine Unibox being wrong but maybe it is doing something weird.

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00Hide this!Advertise here!