Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2018, 10:46 AM   #241
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I really want to diy because I really like it but I ment I don't have time to continuously have one project after the other which is why I try my best so hard to do it as good as it can be the first time even though I know it's not the best way to go which is why I really rely on you guys.

Now that I know what software I can use and that you can help me I don't want or need someone else too do the simulations. Why would I want a LR12 filter and why is it not possible with my cabinet and would it be a bad thing?
Old 13th August 2018, 11:05 AM   #242
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Okay got it. In the end the drivers you have nailed it down to are som of the best on the planet. And for sure the drivers can play together.

LR12 is a second order filter. It requires that the tweeter and mid are acoustically on the same axis. They are typically not on a flat baffle. I think to really nail it, you need to try different slopes. Some prefer higher slopes, some do not. It can make quite a difference to how the sound is perceived. Dont buy expensive crossover components to start with.

Also common is a crossover of odd orders.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:25 AM   #243
diyAudio Member

So actually LR12 is reserved just for coaxial?
Old 13th August 2018, 12:56 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

No, but it requires well behaved drivers to make a LR12 filter. Specifically on accoustic allignment see this:

Time-Alignment

On Troels Gravesens page there is a HUGE load of information about how to make and design a speaker.
Old 13th August 2018, 04:40 PM   #245
Pida is online now Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Regarding front baffle, mid on top is the right choice. The baffle fills in the dip around 1300Hz, see comparison of MR16 response (horizontal 0-90deg) for MT and TM configurations. But, in my case, tweeter response for MT configuration was much worse, and with LR2/LR2 the modelled FR was worse. That is why I went with TM configuration. In your case, large (~R50) baffle roundovers around tweeter should help.
Attached Images
File Type: png MR16P H 0-90 MT.png (89.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: png MR16P H 0-90 TM.png (81.7 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Pida; 13th August 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 14th August 2018, 08:57 AM   #246
diyAudio Member

Interesting to see how the dip changes. Cool.
Old 24th August 2018, 12:06 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Hello guys, back from scout camp again. My legs still hurt from the hike from 6 days ago.

I have been thinking a lot about how to make the cabs look beautiful recently because even though I at first really liked my design when I was basing it very strictly on the Kroma Audio Carmen but now with the flat top I'm finding it hard to make it look beautiful. I already started to more take inspiration from the Magico M Project but as I was scrolling around on Pinterest a lot the last few days I kind of fell in love with the look af those angled baffles/edges like on the pictures below. At first I wasn't really attracted to it but now that I have seen pictures of some speakers that have it well implemented I find it very beautiful. I'm gonna try to angle the cab and use such shapes on the baffle but that does mean the tweeter will have to be on top which only has acoustical advantages because ultimately you want the motors of the drivers to be on the same line for time alignment which is why many of Troels Gravesen's design have the piece of baffle for the mid stick out further. If I mount the tweeter on top, then the midrange and then the woofers and angle the I will have the same result. And those slanted edges are the best for frequency response according to the article about the affect of the shape of baffles someone posted earlier.

Drawing this in Tinkercad will be to difficult so I won't have 3D models but I'll do some drawing.

Thoughts?
Old 24th August 2018, 12:12 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokytheman View Post
Thanks!

I have also found that making baffle where diffraction issues are handled properly is VERY important.

Read this for a nice explanation - And it still holds true:

http://www.dwdrums.com/images/moonmi...enclosures.pdf
This article. The bottom right one represents the kind of design I with the slanted edges and it seems to show one of the best responses.
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermafbeelding 2018-08-24 om 14.11.01.png (462.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 24th August 2018, 10:14 PM   #249
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
This article. The bottom right one represents the kind of design I with the slanted edges and it seems to show one of the best responses.
That's also why I shaped my cabinets like this
I use an Seas Magnum tweeter and a Accuton C82T8 - works great in an avalon shaped cabinet.

Last edited by digitalthor; 24th August 2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 25th August 2018, 07:33 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

Looks great. Is it finished yet? What woofers and subwoofer did you use?

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00Hide this!Advertise here!