Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2018, 01:09 PM   #221
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your advice. I know practicing is the best way to achieve things but I just don't really have the time for making multiple little speakers all the time.
About handing the crossovers to someone else. I have asked Ruud from speakerland.nl if he could help me and maybe build the crossovers with/for me. He also is quite a legend and has decades of experience. He's like the Dutch Trials Gravesen but the guy you pointed to me seems even better. Those speakers he has on his website look amazing! I'm gonna ask if he could help me. I actually only asked Ruud a rough estimation of what he thinks will be the cost for my crossovers.
Old 11th August 2018, 01:39 PM   #222
diyAudio Member

I emailed him as well if he could help me.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:37 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

The guy from humble... said it was gonna be quite expensive for me to let it get done by him. I kind of expected that.
He explained there are two steps in building crossovers. First he simulates the speakers to see which type of filter would be the best. Then he builds this simulates filter and further tweaks it. I don't really have crossovers simulation software so the first step would be difficult. How would you guys do it?
Old 12th August 2018, 09:03 AM   #224
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
I don't really have crossovers simulation software
Free software:
XSim free crossover designer

Buy yourself a measurement microphone (OmniMic, UMIK-1, etc), build and measure the speaker drivers in the real enclosures. Then load that data into a crossover sim software package like XSim and design the crossover. That is the correct way to design a crossover. If you get someone else to design the crossover without providing any measurements, they will just take a frequency response measurement that they have found on the internet, and if they are competent attempt to apply a baffle edge simulation to get an in-enclosure response before designing the crossover. The problem with this is that baffle sims are hardly ever 100% correct, especially when the cabinet has rounded edges and drivers are placed close together because the surrounds of woofers (and mid domes etc) cause diffraction just like the edges of the cabinet. Also, drivers often vary a little in their responses from batch to batch, so the best way is to measure the actual drivers you have.

If you get stuck, just upload your measurements here and others can help you out.

Last edited by TMM; 12th August 2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12th August 2018, 12:19 PM   #225
Pida is offline Pida  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

3wayaddict: I connected WO24P+MR16P+SS6600 speakers two days ago. I have to say you will not be dissapointed, Satoris are the right choice. I have WO14 in 60l BR, are you ready for ~120l loudspeaker when using two of them?
http://cms.pkaudio.webnode.cz/ev/
Old 12th August 2018, 12:46 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

I have them in a ~98 L box. They work great in the simulations. Greatest impulse response I've seen from woofers their size and they go pretty low with an F3 of 29 Hz when tuned lower than the optimum.
That setup sounds great and I would like to see it but I can't enter your website.
Old 12th August 2018, 12:57 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

My fault, correct link is below:
EV :: Pkaudio

F3 29Hz will not be probably met in reality. Try to add crossover to your simulation. 34Hz is more likely.
Old 12th August 2018, 12:59 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Don't know how to. But how does the crossovers affect the F3?
Looking good.
Old 12th August 2018, 01:01 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Basta allowes that.
F3 is affected by the Rdc of the coil.
Old 12th August 2018, 01:06 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Hmm, that's unfortunate. But it doesn't matter. I'm no more focused at getting the lowest possible F3 as bad. Now I'm just focussed on making the complete speaker work well. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the bass coming out of them. The F3 might not seem low but such big woofers will sound like more to the ear.

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00Hide this!Advertise here!