Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2018, 11:14 AM   #201
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
All those pros do make it very attractive. Those 4,5 dBs aremore difficult than 0 dB but are addressable in the crossover but on the other hand it has a flatter respons which (away from baffle step compensation) doesn’t have to be adjusted so it will probably a simpler crossover at the end of the day. And then the internal decoupling and obviously the sound you say comes out of it. I think it might indeed be the best choice when I cross it low enough so the wavelength of the crossover frequency is bigger than the distance between the driver centres.
Oddly with a quantity of two they’re actually less expensive than the 604010’s at Speaker&Co.
Depending where you cross the mids to the woofer, mids probably need som baffel step compensation.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:45 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

I still think you should think twice and deep about investing in such expensive tweeters. I think you are on the very right track with your woofers and the midwoofers. Only equivalent for the mids right know I think is SS or Audiotechnology. Both more expensive. Which ones is better is a matter of taste and matching of drivers. That is what I think.

For a first timer into DIY, many stupid mistaskes can happen. Sticking a screwdriver into the membrane. Dropping them and so on. Not saying this is going to happen though.

You could also buy the much "cheaper" ring dome from SB:

SATORI TW29RN-B :: SB Acoustics

Troels Gravesen really seem to like both. In the end a matter of taste.

And then I think you should also consider the Alu dome from SB, that other have mentioned in the thread. I have heard it, and I think it sounds very good! Clean and very very nice presentation of symbals. Dont put all you horsens into which one that measures best. The all measure VERY good so in the end a matter of taste.

Not to forget - Crossover is the most difficult part. The same drivers in a cabinet with two different crossovers can sound miles apart. A well thought/made crossover with cheaper but well performing drivers will ALWAYS beat a bad made crossover with the most exotic drivers in the world. I think you will get better results with an all digital crossover. Because is is much easy to work with as a beginner. And cheaper. But if you like to learn how to make a passive crossover go a head. You should just know that it is indeed difficult though it may sound to be not so.

Last edited by Rokytheman; 7th August 2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 7th August 2018, 09:27 PM   #203
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Dropping things and not knowing how to use a screwdriver is not a case of handling speakers for the first time but just not being handy in building things at all, but I'm quite handy when it comes to that and the risk of damaging drivers is something I don't even consider, at all. I'm familiar with tools and am quite a builder anyway.
I have heard beryllium tweeters before at Chattelin with Magico speakers and I like them so a tweeter that suits my taste and is one of the best performers in the world will be the best choice I think.
And thanks for the tip of the TW29BN-B-8. Didn't think about that one before. It's a no-brainer to take that one because of the better sensitivity match.
I was planning on using active crossovers earlier in this crossover but already moved away from it. I supposedly have building the passive crossovers covered because one of you offered to build it with me which I really, really appreciate and I really count on you .
Old 7th August 2018, 09:33 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokytheman View Post
Depending where you cross the mids to the woofer, mids probably need som baffel step compensation.
I know it will need baffle step compensation. I said "away from baffle step compensation" it won't need much adjustments because the response is so flat. I'm planning to cross between the woofers and mid between 200 and 300 Hz.
Old 7th August 2018, 09:35 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottomano View Post
https://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/pdf/...4_602010HH.pdf

The distortion vs. level has been made at 1500Hz.
Quite a performer, I'd say, especially for those needing to cross over low.

Edit: It's about the dome tweeter, D3004/602010, and not his Ring Radiator Counterpart R3004/602010
Test here: https://www.hifisound.de/out/media/p...GJRg%3D%3D.pdf

I'd take the dome variant.
Thanks for your advice, if I still were to take one of those small-faceplate Scan-Speak tweeters I would indeed have taken the dome but I've already decided to take the SB-Acoustics TW29BN-B-8.
Old 7th August 2018, 09:38 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

By the way. Actually. What is easier to address in the crossover. A 1,5 dB difference between the mid woofer and tweeter or a 3dB difference? The TW29BN-B-8 has a 93,5 dB sensitivity. The normal TW29BN-B 95 dB. And the MR16P-4 a sensitivity of 92 dB.
Old 8th August 2018, 01:18 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dropping things and not knowing how to use a screwdriver is not a case of handling speakers for the first time but just not being handy in building things at all, but I'm quite handy when it comes to that and the risk of damaging drivers is something I don't even consider, at all. I'm familiar with tools and am quite a builder anyway.
Very arrogant and/or naive. I think both. You are still a young boy and have a lot to learn. Add a couple of thousands of working hours and you will realize the times you were lucky and the times you were not, but made a mistake.

I think a lot more people would give their opinions in this thread if you started acting more polite.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:46 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry. I don't mean it to be a dique but I really do a lot of diy-ing and just am quite handy. Might be naive but I don't expect anything to go wrong. I really appreciate your help and really need it ! I'm just trying to achieve the best.
Old 8th August 2018, 09:50 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

What version of the TW29BN do you think I should take? What will be the easiest to integrate in the crossover?
Old 9th August 2018, 01:00 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm sorry. I don't mean it to be a dique but I really do a lot of diy-ing and just am quite handy. Might be naive but I don't expect anything to go wrong. I really appreciate your help and really need it ! I'm just trying to achieve the best.
Cool Back on track then !

That is a nice skill! - Some that most these days dont have. And you know what, in the future most women really appreciate a man who can do handy things ! - Even if it "just" is hanging a picture on a wall.

I cannot give you advise in regards to which of the tweeters you should pick.

But I really think you should play with some prototypes before final sketch of the speaker. It is very easy to play with tweeter placement. And it makes a HUGE difference.

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00Hide this!Advertise here!