Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2018, 09:07 AM   #191
3wayaddict is offline 3wayaddict  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokytheman View Post
In regards to vibrations, putting the tweeter in its own champer will not necessarily dampen vibrations - It will rather reduce back pressure which is normally not an issue at all.
SB made a so called "Two part aluminium faceplate with integrated mechanical decoupling".
Does the TW29BN also have this? I’m going to decouple the tweeters so I’ll have to put them I a sealed chamber anyway because my decoupling system isn’t quite airtight and even if it was it wouldn’t work in the same chamber with the woofers because the tweeter will start acting as a passive radiator which only makes the vibrations it experiences worse obviously. But it’s nice to know it has that feature.
Old 5th August 2018, 09:12 AM   #192
diyAudio Member

Wait. Is the part of the tweeter like the motor and diaphragm truly decoupled like you would to decouple a driver to keep it from picking up vibrations?! If it seriously is truly decoupled I wouldn’t have to decouple the driver myself which wouldn’t have been a problem but it’s still way easier if I don’t have to. It also save some space because I don’t need to be able to stick my hand in the tweeter chamber to fit the decoupling system. Without the need of the decoupling system I can just make the tweeter chamber as slim as the driver.

Last edited by 3wayaddict; 5th August 2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 5th August 2018, 09:59 AM   #193
diyAudio Member

All those pros do make it very attractive. Those 4,5 dBs aremore difficult than 0 dB but are addressable in the crossover but on the other hand it has a flatter respons which (away from baffle step compensation) doesnít have to be adjusted so it will probably a simpler crossover at the end of the day. And then the internal decoupling and obviously the sound you say comes out of it. I think it might indeed be the best choice when I cross it low enough so the wavelength of the crossover frequency is bigger than the distance between the driver centres.
Oddly with a quantity of two theyíre actually less expensive than the 604010ís at Speaker&Co.
Old 5th August 2018, 10:08 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Theyíre a lot cheaper actually. Two 604010ís at Speaker&Co are Ä628,76. Two TW29BN-Bís at Speaker&Co are Ä606,58 but at Compagnie Acoustique Belgique they are just Ä559,-. Compagnie Acoustique Belgique doesnít even have the 604010 but the Scan-Speak they do have is a lot more expensive than at Speaker&Co so the TW29BN-Bís actually are a lot cheaper.
Old 5th August 2018, 05:01 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Again my new design now with one of, if not the best commercially available beryllium tweeter with internal mechanical decoupling and a slightly longer port for further improved bass response from the now two WO24P-8's in parallel!
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermafbeelding 2018-08-05 om 18.58.32.png (558.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 6th August 2018, 12:14 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

I just noticed the MR16P-4 actually has slightly less distortion and a slightly flatter response. It also has a higher sensitivity of 92 dB. I think it will be a better option actually. I'm sorry to start about the mids again but we didn't have much discussion about the MW vs MR right? There wasn't really a right or wrong. But now that I look at some measurements. The MR16P-4 actually seems slightly better.
Old 6th August 2018, 01:26 PM   #197
tonza75 is offline tonza75  Europe
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the imd distortion for the loudspeaker elements it's often not measured by some 3rd party publisher.
Old 7th August 2018, 12:03 AM   #198
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
They have new 8ohm satori tweets that are 93db.
Old 7th August 2018, 09:06 AM   #199
sottomano is offline sottomano
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
[...]Does anybody have distortion graphs of the 602010? [...]
https://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/pdf/...4_602010HH.pdf

The distortion vs. level has been made at 1500Hz.
Quite a performer, I'd say, especially for those needing to cross over low.

Edit: It's about the dome tweeter, D3004/602010, and not his Ring Radiator Counterpart R3004/602010
Test here: https://www.hifisound.de/out/media/p...GJRg%3D%3D.pdf

I'd take the dome variant.

Last edited by sottomano; 7th August 2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 7th August 2018, 11:11 AM   #200
Rokytheman is offline Rokytheman  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayaddict View Post
Does the TW29BN also have this? Iím going to decouple the tweeters so Iíll have to put them I a sealed chamber anyway because my decoupling system isnít quite airtight and even if it was it wouldnít work in the same chamber with the woofers because the tweeter will start acting as a passive radiator which only makes the vibrations it experiences worse obviously. But itís nice to know it has that feature.
Well, no. The tweeters will not work as a passive woofer. If the is air around the tweeters you will just have a higher air leakage. Not desirable though. Vibrations are a difficult topic, and many ways to work around it. Vibrations will not only come from the woofer, but also from the front baffle and the cabinet.

Seas Excel W18EX001 vs Scan-Speak 18M/4631T00Hide this!Advertise here!