how long need a port be away from sidewalls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there,

I am about to finished my first DIY speakers. ATC SCM100 clones.
Now I am thinking about the bassreflex tube.
I am using an elbow piece and its a tricky to let the tube go 90 degrees up.
Since there is not enough space I have to either let the elbow go to the right or left. Now I was wondering what the distance between a sidewall and the inner port should be minimum?
Any suggestions?

Lenght ca. 14cm
Diameter 10cm

Last edited:
I have read, though it was year ago so I have forgotten where that the air in a reflex vent will at full resonance moves 1.5 times the vent length both in and out of the vent. well worth remembering when designing a build/ The top panel of a cabinet is probably the very best pace to mount a reflex vent so long as you don't have little kids or wives with knick nacks or plants.

I have read, though it was year ago so I have forgotten where that the air in a reflex vent will at full resonance moves 1.5 times the vent length both in and out of the vent. well worth remembering when designing a build/ The top panel of a cabinet is probably the very best pace to mount a reflex vent so long as you don't have little kids or wives with knick nacks or plants.

That depends entirely on the SPL being produced.

Chris

hi there,

I am about to finished my first DIY speakers. ATC SCM100 clones.
Now I am thinking about the bassreflex tube.
I am using an elbow piece and its a tricky to let the tube go 90 degrees up.
Since there is not enough space I have to either let the elbow go to the right or left. Now I was wondering what the distance between a sidewall and the inner port should be minimum?
Any suggestions?

Lenght ca. 14cm
Diameter 10cm

Have looked online for images of ATC SCM100s. The port is offet as are the mid and tweeter. I assume their port angles towards the middle of the enclosure. Assuming a built baffle with port hole made...

It is what it is. do the best job you can to find free space in the enclosure for the end of the port away from the walls.

Depending on anticipated SPL, you might want to experiment with a smaller diameter port. Small diameter = smaller length and more room to play with.

J.

I know this is a pain to do, but I find that port tuning nuances matter enough, that building a throw away prototype box for trial and error tuning (around modeled design) is the only way to really dial in a port.
Sure, we can get lucky sometimes, with modeling working exactly.....but being able to tinker and measure rules IME. Plus, you get to try anything...

I can't specifically answer OP's question, other than to say I measure a port lengthening effect when running close to, and parallel with wall. And a can't predict effect pointing into a wall...although usually lengthen.

Today I've worked on the damping and installed 8cm pyramid basotect in the cabinet. Behind that you'll find bitumen sheets.
In the upper compartment I will still install some polyster wool or the like.
The lower compartment won't show that, since it will have a BR-tube (see cut-out)

Do you think what I did is viable?

688875d1530014117-basotect-damping-br-cabinet-camphoto_758783491-jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.