Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

War of the 10" monster midbasses
War of the 10" monster midbasses
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2018, 03:27 PM   #11
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewinskiH01 View Post
Great thread!!

In fact I'm working on a 4-way with dual 10" midbasses and considering the 10NDA610 as midrange from 300 to 2000Hz, so fantastic to see your measurements. High efficiency and almost constant impedance when AIC is engaged makes it look like a great candidate to be driven by a dedicated SET.

BTW, I think the Le of 0.06mH is with AIC engaged. Was your measurement of 0.8mH with or without AIC?

The midbasses I'm working with are Beyma 10G40 to go from 80 to 300Hz. They match your criteria. Any plans to include in your shootout?
I made dfferent measurements with and without AIC using my DATS V2 (see the pictures). Without is even higher, according to my DATS V2. On all of these drivers, it reports inductance higher than what the spec sheets say, so I'm assuming it is a hardware/software limitation perhaps.

I had considerd the 10G40's, but I'm gonna wait for the 10MC700ND's to be available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 03:55 PM   #12
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Between the 10NW750's copper ring+aluminum demodulating ring, and the 10NDA610's AIC system, they should be the cleanest sounding at high power out of this bunch. Maybe some IMD and multi-tone testing would shed light on this. Then again, the Ciare 12NDH-3 subjectively sounds cleaner than a 12MB700 with dual demodulating rings.

Have you had a chance to listen to them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 04:05 PM   #13
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Between the 10NW750's copper ring+aluminum demodulating ring, and the 10NDA610's AIC system, they should be the cleanest sounding at high power out of this bunch. Maybe some IMD and multi-tone testing would shed light on this. Then again, the Ciare 12NDH-3 subjectively sounds cleaner than a 12MB700 with dual demodulating rings.

Have you had a chance to listen to them?
At the moment I'm only considering tens, so no 12's will be making theyre way over here.

Ive been thinking of how to perform IMD tests with the Dayton Omnimic, so if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 04:06 PM   #14
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Buenos Aires
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
I made dfferent measurements with and without AIC using my DATS V2 (see the pictures). Without is even higher, according to my DATS V2. On all of these drivers, it reports inductance higher than what the spec sheets say, so I'm assuming it is a hardware/software limitation perhaps.

I had considerd the 10G40's, but I'm gonna wait for the 10MC700ND's to be available.
What was it that didn't convince you about the 10G40?

Note 18Sound classifies 10NDA610 as a midrange rather than midbass. How high are you planning to xo these?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 04:51 PM   #15
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewinskiH01 View Post
What was it that didn't convince you about the 10G40?

Note 18Sound classifies 10NDA610 as a midrange rather than midbass. How high are you planning to xo these?
10G40 looks solid, but I think I will simply wait for the 10MC700ND to become available. It looks like a beast!

Crossover points have in no way been decided on. It would be foolish to do so with such limited data.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 05:17 PM   #16
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Have you had a chance to listen to the any of the 10's you've tested?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 05:34 PM   #17
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieM View Post
Have you had a chance to listen to the any of the 10's you've tested?
Yes I've listened to them while they were in the 0.5 ft polyfill-filled test enclosure that the measurements were made from. Have I done extended listening sessions, unfortunately no, as I keep switching from this project to other projects I have going on at the same time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 06:52 PM   #18
martinsson is offline martinsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

Regarding the 10HP1020, this is a bit of a strange driver (wonderfully crazy in fact) and I have often wondered where and how one would best use one of these little monsters.

It is a 10" bass driver as I see it, it has the motor system of a decent 15" or even 18" bass driver, it is without comparison in it's segment in this regard as far as I know, and I'd be hard pressed to call it a typical 10" mid/bass, I see it as more of a pure bass driver even though it can reach pretty high, just look at the specs :

Maximum power handling - 1,4kW (700AES).
Voice coil diameter - 100mm (4 inches).
BL - 24,5
Mms - 72,5g
Xmax - 9mm

This also shows in the THD graph, they are far beyond the competition in this line up with regards to THD in the low frequency region, hinting that this is their turf, for mid duty though I'm sure there are more appropriate drivers.

My guess (note the word - guess) is that they are excellent for compact bass horns or other high power designs that loads the driver to a great extent, aimed at low frequency reproduction.

But they are wonderful for sure, crazy yes, but still
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 07:01 PM   #19
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

Regarding the 10HP1020, this is a bit of a strange driver (wonderfully crazy in fact) and I have often wondered where and how one would best use one of these little monsters.

It is a 10" bass driver as I see it, it has the motor system of a decent 15" or even 18" bass driver, it is without comparison in it's segment in this regard as far as I know, and I'd be hard pressed to call it a typical 10" mid/bass, I see it as more of a pure bass driver even though it can reach pretty high, just look at the specs :

Maximum power handling - 1,4kW (700AES).
Voice coil diameter - 100mm (4 inches).
BL - 24,5
Mms - 72,5g
Xmax - 9mm

This also shows in the THD graph, they are far beyond the competition in this line up with regards to THD in the low frequency region, hinting that this is their turf, for mid duty though I'm sure there are more appropriate drivers.

My guess (note the word - guess) is that they are excellent for compact bass horns or other high power designs that loads the driver to a great extent, aimed at low frequency reproduction.

But they are wonderful for sure, crazy yes, but still
I totally agree. I had not initially planned on getting them, but I got them 2-for-the-price-of-1, so I could not pass it up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 10:23 PM   #20
ErnieM is offline ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Sica has a 10" midbass/4" coil and a few with 3" coils. Might be expensive or hard to get though.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


War of the 10" monster midbassesHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RQ: info for 8" Focal midbasses Milen Multi-Way 4 13th January 2018 07:13 PM
Pair JBL 2206's 12" midbasses mitchyz250f Swap Meet 3 1st May 2014 02:45 AM
FS 12 Silver Flute 5.5" Midbasses... speakrsrfun Swap Meet 1 2nd March 2010 05:21 PM
"Monster" Cable vs Monster Vintage MonsterVintage Everything Else 0 18th October 2004 11:35 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki