War of the 10" monster midbasses

It’s a self-powered box, so I’d presume the traces are taken with the yellow transfer function applied. Note the scale on that TF plot too; they’re 10 dB divisions.

It looks like a wide, shallow dip at ~160 Hz, a wide but shallow bump just above 250 Hz, and a notch of approximately 9-10 dB just before crossover at 400 Hz. That's not a million miles from tackling the hump in your Hornresp model.

The starting point processing is all IIR from memory, with FIR applied to each driver’s individual DSP amp channel once a 2D BEM model is made from a slice of the venue profile.

I'm not sure how that arrangement might fit with your goals in the other thread about your design, but it's perhaps worth investigating. I have always wondered about wrapping a good Hypex horn around a smaller Synergy; the J1-94 basically does just that and was a pretty fun cab for the year I had my hands on it.

You'd perhaps be surprised how that box sounds when you see the crossover points used, too. Same story with the Martin stuff.

So what's the verdict on who wins the "war of the 10 monster midbasses"?

Was there a clear favoutrite, or does the B&C 10nw76 take the prize?

I'm looking for something to fill 80-800Hz, sitting on top of a 15" 3kW Alpine car sub (driven by an iNuke 3000), and below a 6" Scanspeak mid

Thanks - I noticed on one of your previous threads, your setup will be 'similar' too mine.... how does it sound? (3 way with subs)

My DIY's use a Eminence Lab12 as a woofer - it's actually a sub driver and I'm crossing it over quite high @500Hz - I find a large driver handling the midbass somehow makes the speakers livelier. However I don't think the Lab12 is happy going that high so always planned to replace with a bigger sub / dedicated 'large' midbass.

I'm using 3-way Hypex 500's to drive them, so it easy (and fun) to play around with the x-over frequency / slope, so looking forward to an extra driver to play with!!

Reactions: 1 user
Great thread!!

In fact I'm working on a 4-way with dual 10" midbasses and considering the 10NDA610 as midrange from 300 to 2000Hz, so fantastic to see your measurements. High efficiency and almost constant impedance when AIC is engaged makes it look like a great candidate to be driven by a dedicated SET.

BTW, I think the Le of 0.06mH is with AIC engaged. Was your measurement of 0.8mH with or without AIC?

The midbasses I'm working with are Beyma 10G40 to go from 80 to 300Hz. They match your criteria. Any plans to include in your shootout? :)
Wonder how your 4-way design turned out for you man.
Interested in following through with my build, this FOREVER/On-Going build of my own. Your 10"mid bass reviews and measurements is helpful.