TB new line of Coax FR drivers

Really dont know 100% the reason but probably some KEF knowledge licensed to Genelec mayby is it tangarine i think they call their form of dome or phaseplug in tweeter, dont hang me up on that but look the other coxials tested so far at ASR KALI and Adante they have same problem as this TB, maybe TB also get better and better repaired than that under avarage model i ran the more steps we can feed VituixCAD say 10 deg per step out to no lesh than 90 deg but really dont think you get any close to clone dreams of 8314A, SBA acoustic have some smaller ones in their economic serie but best is probably you hunt the smaller diameter KEF speaker think they called something as Q150 or something, they not a fortune so good enogh canibalize coxial and put cabinet aside, that step should probably give you access to their advanced tech and give a chance those beuty of a Spinorama, because look LS50 over at ASR it didn't have same interference problem but you can get better than LS50 using their lesser diameter and thats good so cost to cabalize will be significant lower : )

Last edited:
Something very wrong with my W6-2313 pair.

They have been sitting away for a while, but last two days, I decided I wanted to re-visit them and work on a new XO.

I already had my .frd and .zma files, so I started with that... and there was some weird stuff in the measurements after hooking up the new XO.

Of course, I thought it was some wiring issues, so, I combed through it (even though it's not so complicated, 1st orders on both) but everything checked out.

So, decided to re-do the .frd files because something was fishy.

Yikes....

The tweeter is dying.

Don't know what happened.
These things have less than 500 hours of listening, and always casual listening, no parties, nothing over the top.

But, as you can see in the measurements, the tweeter starts falling off at 3kHz!
I thought I might have wired wrong and used the woofer, but nope, woofer check up fine and has a regular drop for this kind of woofer.

No wonder I was having trouble getting some high range...

No idea what's happening, and I will for sure drop a line to TB to try to find out.

But if I were you, I'd wait for "mk II" before buying this driver.

Here are some measurements, taken at 10cm, 50cm and listening position, which is about 2m away. Plus the graph from TB....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 11.40.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 11.40.41 AM.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 709
  • W6-2313_S New.jpg
    W6-2313_S New.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 699
It seems very odd that both tweeters are doing the same thing at the same time in their lifespan. As you are hearing it and measuring it, could it be something in the signal chain? Did you swap out with another set of speakers?

My two are still doing fine. I ran a Dirac calibration with them and two 18" IB subs using the Monoprice HTP-1 processor. I really like them, but I'm struggling to find that sweet spot for their placement to get the imaging I remember from the first time I listened to them.

Rick

Hi Everybody. Let me say this has been a highly informative thread. I'm building up a set of speakers with the W8-3214 and it sounds a little funky with the TB crossover. This is not the same design they suggested for the W6 that's been analyzed thoroughly here. Does anybody have FRD/ZMA files for the 8" version? I could only find them for the W6. I know just enough about crossovers to know that I don't understand this design at all and I would love to simulate it in XSIM. TB doesn't have the files I would need for that and I don't have the equipment to generate my own.

I have the image hosted here:
Google Drive: Sign-in

I'm going to open them up again and secure my stuffing (has strong midrange reflections) and triple check my wiring to make sure I did all the polarities correct too. Sometimes they sound vaguely out of phase at certain (not bass) frequencies.

BTW I opted for bass reflex and the bass is A LOT stronger than I expected or modelled. I will set up the mic and take some measurements once I'm satisfied the crossover is OK.

I've just ordered a pair or W6-2313, and a W8-740C, planning to build a 2.1 system, based on the "SUG2-25" from TB homepage:
httphttp://tb-speaker.com/products/sug2-25
But after reading this thread, I'm getting slightly worried about the suggested XO...
Anyone tried the original version? Or would I be better off "stealing Percval's XA as a starting point?
I'm a better cabinet maker than XO designer, so need something to start from ;o)

Last edited:
I've just ordered a pair or W6-2313, and a W8-740C, planning to build a 2.1 system, based on the "SUG2-25" from TB homepage:
httphttp://tb-speaker.com/products/sug2-25
But after reading this thread, I'm getting slightly worried about the suggested XO...
Anyone tried the original version? Or would I be better off "stealing Percval's XA as a starting point?
I'm a better cabinet maker than XO designer, so need something to start from ;o)

I just did read this.
I wished I had read this thread first, as Perceval wisely stayed away from that SUG2-25 cover...
I didn't, and I bought the components to make that xover to be used with a temp box which I'm going to use to test the W6-2313 before finalizing a 3D print cabinet.
That SUG2-25 xover is terrible.
I went to xsim and simulated a new xover using a more conventional 2nd order filter, and on xsim everything seems a lot better: I'm awaiting new caps from PE this week and I will report back.

G

I've got mine set up, finally (almost two years later). Currently running on a MiniDSP 2x4HD for the xover in the Parts Express 0.23cf knock down cabinets with a pair of ICEPower amps I built. The desk setup is utterly suboptimal of course - I'll be mounting these on the wall at ear level soon and rearranging all the electronics.

How do they sound? The soundstage is razor sharp with a lot of transients and other details coming through that are missing on my Amiga's in the main listening area. Drawback is a lack of dynamics (cabinets aren't the right size and not really optimized for response). Once I've got the EQ dialed in I'll probably move to some sealed cabinets with a sub in a 3-way config.

Some songs that stand out are:

Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin - amazing soundstage and vocals; you could pick out each vocalist on the track instantly
Tamacun by Rodrigo y Gabriella - one of my favorite songs for testing guitars and it just rocked
Am I Wrong by Anderson .Paak - one of the better examples of sound engineering on an electronic track I've found lately and you can really hear the smaller details

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 324
On mine I went pretty much with the optimal cabinet size for flat bass response and the bass output is quite impressive. It's tight and very clean and in my room please down into the thirties. I was originally planning on building a subwoofer with mine but the bass is actually so good that I don't think that I will. I should clarify that the bass is highly musical but I don't think it would cut it for home theater go to be honest I think that if you're looking for home theater the speakers probably not your first choice. I also used a 3-in precision port with flares on both ends and that really makes the deep bass roll on and off so smoothly.

I'm still running the tangband crossover design and so far I'm actually pretty happy with it.

On mine I went pretty much with the optimal cabinet size for flat bass response and the bass output is quite impressive. It's tight and very clean and in my room please down into the thirties. I was originally planning on building a subwoofer with mine but the bass is actually so good that I don't think that I will. I should clarify that the bass is highly musical but I don't think it would cut it for home theater go to be honest I think that if you're looking for home theater the speakers probably not your first choice. I also used a 3-in precision port with flares on both ends and that really makes the deep bass roll on and off so smoothly.

I'm still running the tangband crossover design and so far I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Great to hear about the W8’s. Wish I had gotten a pair! If you have two extras let me know ;)

Agreed about home theater. I’m starting a pair that have CSS 4.5” BMR’s for mid/high and Dayton 10” reference woofers for the lows. They’ll be using some Hyped FA122 or 123’s for power and crossovers. Those will have much wider dispersion and less of a sweet spot, but also won’t be as razor sharp.