TB new line of Coax FR drivers

that is one thick solid baffle!

I have the same for my W6, but none are 5cm thick "only". :)
They are also made of hinoki Japanese camphor wood. They smell nice too! :)
Is that the same wood as what you posted earlier? I like your project too I have been following it.
I think these drivers work very well as bookshelf: the very first test we did was as small ported bookshelf speakers, and we loved it, but after I gave a another demo with 6ft tall linear array speakers there was no contest… if you got the right sized room, that’s the way to go.

Revisiting this, as I am cleaning up, and wanted to try something different.

Came up with this. Sounds very good, well balanced, and a -5dB from 2.5kHz to 20kHz. means it is not fatiguing at all.

View attachment 1037537
Hello. Messing around with speaker builds and still learning crossovers. I apologize, but would you mind explaining a bit about what this crossover is doing. This is the first one I have seen where the tweeter and woofer are in the same network. It looks interesting but I don't understand the flow.

It's called a series crossover.
Doesn't work in all circumstances, as it needs well behaved drivers. The drivers' impedance affect each other, same with the components. So, it's a bit harder to come up with something good. You could say that I like a challenge! :)

Here's a good short read about them:

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/...-series-crossovers-better?p=992324#post992324
Thanks again, perceval. One additional question. Looking through the diagram in the central part, it looks like the inductor, one resistor, and two caps could all be wound together. And from that same point one connection to the tweeter positive (in negative polarity) and another going to the woofer positive. Is this correct?

Thanks again, perceval. One additional question. Looking through the diagram in the central part, it looks like the inductor, one resistor, and two caps could all be wound together. And from that same point one connection to the tweeter positive (in negative polarity) and another going to the woofer positive. Is this correct?
Yes, for that specific application.

Please try to google and learn the basics of loudspeaker design and electric circuit design eg. from here

http://www.mh-audio.nl/index.html

Loudspeaker design is very complex, lots of imperfections and nonlilnearities must be handled (drivers, box, xo, interferences and dispersion of sound). The final outcome is acoustic response of the system (loudspeaker, be it single driver or multiway). And sorry to say, taking acoustic measurements is another discipline to learn... And then, fit that in your room (speaker and listener location, acoustics of the room)

Yes, for that specific application.

Please try to google and learn the basics of loudspeaker design and electric circuit design eg. from here

http://www.mh-audio.nl/index.html

Loudspeaker design is very complex, lots of imperfections and nonlilnearities must be handled (drivers, box, xo, interferences and dispersion of sound). The final outcome is acoustic response of the system (loudspeaker, be it single driver or multiway). And sorry to say, taking acoustic measurements is another discipline to learn... And then, fit that in your room (speaker and listener location, acoustics of the room)
Taking things one step at a time. This will be my third set of cabinets I've built. Made a mistake of purchasing these 6.5 in coax speakers thinking they were full range. My first two builds were just focusing on the actual physical build part of the cabinets and ignoring everything else. This time around I spent time with the volume/venting considerations. Being a coax I can't just drop in the full range and get something that sounds ok. Copying a crossover is a simpler fix rather than regretting putting quite a bit more $ into these drivers than I did on the first two cabinets I built.

Slowly making my way through the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook... interesting topic but I can only handle bits at a time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@Vunce told me he was looking for a new speaker cabinet and crossover design for a set of W8-2314’s that he had in a box for quite some time. I suspected that they would fit in the same TL cabinet that I designed for the RS225 and 10F FAST speaker. https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/

Vunce popped it in - a drop in fit same cutout and same bezel and screw holes. Well he was impressed by the bass and the TS parameters were very close so it makes sense. The TL with a RS225-8 should have a -6dB point of about 28Hz so no lack of bass there.

IMG_4680.jpeg

Vunce sent me the drivers and I installed them in an old sealed XPS foam cabinet with the same 10in baffle width as the TL. Anyhow, after a few days, here is what I came up with. It sounds very nice. One of the peculiarities is that the tweeter has some dips and peaks that are not shown on the factory curves. But I got similar measurements compared to the Audioexpress article. https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-tang-band-speaker-w8-2314-high-end-coaxial-driver

Measurement Setup:
IMG_4798.jpeg

Crossover schematic:
IMG_4846.jpeg

Predicted response in blue actual measured in yellow:
IMG_4841.png

Predicted impedance:
IMG_4843.png

Predicted step response (mic is inverted):
IMG_4842.png

Measured response with 3.3ohm and 4.7ohm padding on tweeter:
IMG_4844.png

Wago P2P developmental crossover:
IMG_4797.jpeg

Sound clips (you will notice there is a bit more metal than the usual jazz for Vunce’s sake):

Short clip in stereo with drum solo:

This driver sounds very nice and I wish it was easier to find. Currently out of stock at Parts Express. If you have this driver, Hope you give it a try.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I mentioned in the other thread, but the W6 version is available right now, sounds great and a hair cheaper.
Looks like the XO is also a drop in as well, based from my punching up the numbers in my sim package.

W6-2313 has slightly lower woofer sensitivity but probably all that needs adjusting is the padding. The tweeter is identical I would imagine. It’s a nice looking and well built driver. The 6.5in package might be suitable for the smaller TL that I designed for the Purifi.

fs = 50Hz, Qts = 0.38, Vas = 10.8L, Re = 3.6ohms.

Reactions: 1 user