JBL 4343 Side woofer cabinet ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello ,

I would like to rebuild a new cabinet with side woofer using my jbl4343
compnents : 153 woofer , 10" low medium , horn high medium , tweeter.

The cabinet would use the 15" as a side woofer and the 10" and tweeter in front .

Separately or on top the high medium horn using a wood smith horn.

i amalready bi amp and could use lower than 300 hz cut ( 250 hz ? )

Is anyone having some information I could use .

Regards

Have you already built the "high medium wood smith horn"?

If not.... would you still consider a popular ABS horn?

The JBL 4343 cabinet is 25" wide, which is nice for lowering the baffle step frequency, and also nice for providing a large woofer volume in a modest 17" deep cabinet which could be placed against a wall and out-of-the-way. An 18" wide cabinet seems like a good compromise for a front 15" woofer, plus a front 14" wide horn which can support the 1250Hz crossover frequency used on your JBL 10" midrange. Parts Express has a $14 Buy-Out on:

B-52 PHRN-1014 1" Horn 10" x 14" 2-BoltEntry / Throat Diameter1" ABS Horn
Part Number299-2303UPC848864052052
=========
I suspect you can design a clever way to swap between the ABS and WOOD horns by building a removal section of a double-thick front baffle. With a 1250Hz crossover, you MUST BUTT the 10" midrange to the horn for a single-point-source illusion.

If you also want a second 1" compression driver to use on just the ABS horn, the $63 Peerless/Tymphany DFM-2544R00-08 is considered a good value.

3-strikes and I am OUT!
1) front mount 15" woofer
2) use a modern controlled directivity 14" wide ABS horn
3) audition a "Made in China" 1" compression driver

P.S. At 300Hz, the quarter wave distance is 11.3", so the 15" woofer must be very close to the 10" midrange for optimal single source illusion.

Hello Line source .

I Have already a wooden Smith Horn .
My driver is a 2" JBl .

But what interest me is the side woofer project only as I want to renew the cabinet . So as you seem to have a lot of tech knowledge , please inform about this 15" side woofer issue and so on .

I have not found until know someone using 15" inch woofer up to 250/350 hz in a 3/4 way system .

Best regards.

About this 4 way studio monitor speaker stereonomono: JBL 4343
When mounting the woofer sideways, maybe better put it's x-over at 100Hz as sound starts to get directional and you don't want vocals from that woofer or the extra crossover in the vocal range.

Edit: maybe put the woofers in separate boxes so you can optimize the Bass with better placement, just like regular sub-woofers.

Edit2: info on crossover mods for this speaker

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.