Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

List Your Clones
List Your Clones
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default List Your Clones

I noticed a few new clones online today, thought I'd post them:

Click the image to open in full size.

This is an original B&C 8PE21. Retails for $116 : B&C 8PE21 8" Midrange Speaker

Back in the day, AudioPipe used to sell fairly cheap car audio stuff. Similar to Pyle, many of their drivers were clones of older pro audio stuff. To me, this driver looks a heck of a lot like the B&C 8PE21. Of course, buyer beware; this driver isn't even listed on their web site and good luck finding Thiele Small. It's $40 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Audiopipe 8" Octo Speaker: Electronics

This is a JBL 2408H. This is one of the JBL ring radiator compression drivers. There are a TON of variations on these:

JBL 2408H-1
JBL 2408H-2
JBL 2409H
And then a slew of similar drivers; many of the compression drivers that JBL uses these days are ring radiators, but almost every speaker uses a different model. It's super confusing.

For a while, when neodymium was cheap, you could get the 2409H-1 for about $60. At that price, I don't think there's anything under $100 that can come close to it. But nowadays it runs about $150. The Celestion CDX1-1425 had a similar history; for a while there it sold for $35! Now it's $100.

Here's the Audiopipe ATQ1000ND. It's not clear if this thing is a straight up clone of one of the JBLs, or if it's something else entirely. Naturally, the catalog doesn't even specify what the diaphragm is.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 18th June 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Jack Arnott is offline Jack Arnott  United States
diyAudio Member

A friend of mine buys cheap Chinese made cabinets, and then buys BMS components from me to put in them, bi-amps, and uses DSP. (They usually come with a single capacitor passive, from my memory.) It is cheaper for him to ship here from China, resell through an online source, and dump the crappy speaker components than build a cabinet from scratch.

BMS cone speakers are hard to drop into other cabinets, generally speaking, as the holes for the speaker mounting screws are a larger circumference than other speakers. These cabinets however are ripping off BMS components in their design, so in this case dropping the BMS speakers in is easy.

The components are so crappy that it is not even worth the time to try and sell them on eBay the recoup a few dollars. (Or maybe it is his conscience telling him that.) The cabinet builds are not bad, and look good.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Can't even spell "Neodymium" correctly on the AudioPipe knockoffs. I see 'Neodynium' on that box.

Yeesh,
Wolf
Old 19th June 2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

List Your Clones
That's why they're so cheap. Neodynium is much less expensive than Neodymium.
Most people can't hear the difference. :P
Old 19th June 2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

List Your Clones
In general think these cheap knock-offs are deplorable. On the other hand, I think the prices that many (not necessarily this one) western companies charge (just pick up Stereophile) are also deplorable. In many cases they deserve each other.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 19th June 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 19th June 2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

The knockoffs don't bug me so much. For instance, Parts Express sells drivers and waveguides that are straight-up copies.

The thing that gets to me is when companies pass them off as the real thing. For instance, there's a bunch of BMS 4552s on eBay for the past year, and they say BMS, but the price is 60% off. That bugs me, because it makes no sense that the price would be that low unless they're fake or defective. Even used BMS 4552s don't go for $100.
Old 20th June 2018, 04:47 AM   #7
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

P-Audio do this a lot, even using similar model numbers. Here are some others that I noticed a few months ago.

China 12′′neodymium Speaker Coaxial Horn - China Magnet, Permanent Magnet
Clone of the B&C 12HCX76?

China 4" Hf Neodymium Tweeter Speaker Horn Unit - China Tweeter, Speaker Tweeter
JBL 2452HPL clone?

China 2262HPL 12′′ Portable Neodymium Woofer - China Woofer, Neodymium Woofer
Another JBL clone?
Old 20th June 2018, 09:15 AM   #8
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

MB ACOUSTICS DE250-P-8
Old 20th June 2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

List Your Clones
Wouldn't be surprised as P.Audio was building a fair number of JBL drivers. Or at least someone who visited the factory said so.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:39 PM   #10
Ro808 is offline Ro808  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

At least some JBL drivers are made in China, by one of the bigger and better (OEM only) manufacturers.
Quality Control is a key factor. Not everything from China is crap, but it's very hard to find, let alone buy the good stuff as a consumer.
Components are cheap, but shipment isn't, unless you load a container.
Decent clone compression drivers are available for about 1/4-1/8 of the price of the originals, especially of the older the B&C stuff.

DE250: $10-25
DE500: $30-40
DE75/DE85: $35-50

I'd rather buy used originals.

List Your ClonesHide this!Advertise here!