6" - 8" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Subwoofers aren't something I know a lot about, except they often use big and sturdy and expensive drivers:

GF 200 - 2 x 4 Ohm | Visaton
TIW 200 XS - 8 Ohm | Visaton

Neither of those Visaton Units are cheap.

More affordable is this:
W 200 S - 8 Ohm | Visaton

In 15L it won't go hugely deep in my opinion. With a bigger reflex box it can be thunderous. The WLM La Scala used it, or its 4 ohm sibling.

Happily you can model Visaton easily enough and play around with the possibilities.
Software | Visaton
https://boxsim-db.de/kategorie/systeme/subwoofer/

I can sell you a pair of 18W/4531G00 if you want, EUR120/each would be fine for me. They`re in my speakers now but I am going to a 3-way for home use and want to use the new 18M midrange, hence these are unneeded. They can work well in 14l sealed but won`t give you 40Hz. None 6-8" will even at -6db, if you want this - go bigger in diameter. Sonido have nice units.

I was fiddling around with my take on the WLM La Scala Monitor. Handily my boxes are 22L like the WLM.

The Visaton W200S-8 is definitely a reflex midbass. (FWIW, the tweeter is a cheap and cheerful Visaton TW 70). It really rumbles. Stuff the ports and it loses bass a LOT. You'd hardly need any filter with it in a reflex subwoofer in my opinion. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• system7 WLM La Scala Clone.JPG
    system7 WLM La Scala Clone.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 11,084
You might have a look at 8" car subs to get 40Hz with any volume(loudness) in that volume (space); i.e. the older JBL gto804's with 11,5mm xmax are great. Atm I'm listening to 2 of them in ~12 liter sealed boxes, and they play the Prodigy lows (40+) very nicely without eq. (indoor, placed in front of a wall) I have not looked at their current models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.