silk purse from sows ear contest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Intention of differentiating between USD and EUR was not to set different limits for people from US and Europe, but to increase the possible choices available. There is some difference in which drivers are available for what cost, after you factor in addittional costs it seemed more fair to make a limit adapted for regional cost differences.

Pick one: European shops, or US shops, based on which drivers YOU would like to work with, note prices, and order from whatever shop is cheapest for you including shipping and other relevant criteria.

So if there is a set of drivers that are too expensive to buy in the US, check prices for EU shops and use those if it is within budget/proves beneficial, and vice versa.

It is not to divide, but to equalize.

I get the regional differences. Everything is more expensive in Europe, cheap in the far east, and middle of the road in the US.

I though we were using the lowest regular "web price", where ever that is. You may have to buy local due to shipping charges, or you may already have the component and need a price for it. I buy from everywhere, and I might use stuff I already have.

Don:
Exactly, does not matter where you get the driver from, just use the price most beneficial to you.

For instance Beyma is cheaper in Spain. Spain is in EU, but outside of Spain, Beyma is more expensive. Does not have to be a shop that sends worldwide, as long as you get the price.

Last edited:
So where are we going to put submissions, in this thread? Just to get some creative juices flowing, I have some sims for the two variants I am toying with. I would expect each of our projects will be plenty of posting back an forth, so this thread will get noisy fast!

***************** Initial Idea***********************
For the initial $20 budget I was thinking like this:
(2) $5.88 buyout 6.5 (is it a buyout if they have been selling for many years?)
(1) $2.90 GRS tweeter
misc crossover components out of the remaining money. Since the target is now $30, I would have 30 - 5.88 - 5.88 -2.90 = $15.34 left to do a passive crossover. In order to tame these drivers in a box size that is reasonable for my home, I came up with a first order high pass at 150hz which really kills the low bass, but does cheaply handle the ugly hump. This high pass also controls the excursion to the 3.5mm limit for these drivers. I modeled at 30watts, which is about what I would have available for them from the inflated 50x2 rating on a TPA3116d2 clone.

*******$30 per speaker active idea
I realized that by being very careful with my budget, I could actually attempt to do some DSP for this system. Adding to the (3) drives above,
I bought this:
ADAU1701 Audio Control DSP board Digital Signal Processor Adjust Gain Bass | eBay
and bought even more of these since they rock:
TPA3116D2 50W*2 Digital Power Amplifier Audio AMP Board Module Dual Channel FA | eBay
and am now waiting for the slow boat, hoping it gets here early enough to pivot from the passive crossover to a 2 channel input DSP, 4 channel output to (2) of the TPA3116d2 amps for a bi amp setup, using the DSP as an active crossover, and for any DSP features I can learn in sigmastudio. I have an old transformer from a UPS with dead batteries I dumpster dove for that can power the amps but I am not sure how to value that. In any event this is a stretch and maybe not even in the spirit of the competition as I have to split the cost of the DSP between two speakers.
(4) woofers @ $5.88
(2) tweeters @ $2.90
(2) amplifiers @$4.89
(1) dsp @$18.90
= $58.00 leaving $2 for a transformer I pulled from the trash?
ruling on 30 / speaker being the same as $60 for a pair ?
Anyways, I have attached the sims for both configurations for the woofer side of things using hornresp. I do not know of a mac program to try and merge tweeter and woofer responses, or to design a crossover at all yet other than the really simple online calculators, so that is as far as I am. I also have on hand a few sheets of plywood so if it is ever not 100degrees in the garage I can cut some wood and begin.

Attachments

• inputs.png
    inputs.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 189
  • sinple high pass excursion.png
    sinple high pass excursion.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 186
  • simple high pass.png
    simple high pass.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 182
  • dsp 2 filters.png
    dsp 2 filters.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 181
@ScottG - thats the spirit!

..err, the woofer was the least interesting thing about that post. ;)

Though it is incredibly cheap. :D (..and other than xmax, not truly poor like most Goldwood variations.)

This ebay listing has some pictures of it:

NEW (2) 8" Replacement Speakers PAIR.4 ohm.bass woofers.Car Home Audio subwoofer | eBay

The really interesting thing was the design I mentioned (though it has elements of other designs from the past, the combination is utterly unique).

..and a close second is just how fantastic (at least objectivly) that little fullrange driver is, regardless of cost. ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No dumpster driving. As much as I like DD, it doesn't seem fair in a contest like this.
And what about the pair of malfunctioning Magnepans I got at a thrift shop for $30? If I fix them and replace the missing bases, do they count?

I say they count. Lets level set here, there is no prize and no real accountability other than to yourself, so if you can scrounge something together like some electrostatics for $30 that is freaking awesome! And I am jealous! I would think you would want to also enter something that is more your own creation though as since this is just peer voting, for imaginary internet points, I don't think you would win even if they are 2 orders of magnitude better.

As to my UPS I can show pictures of the board I used a metal cutting angle grinder to get the mosfets off of, and the transformer, but sadly I threw out the case, and do not have pictures of acquiring it. I do know where 3-4 more of these 750 - 1000VA UPS's are sitting in a friends garage that keeps asking me to take them from him though...

No dumpster driving. As much as I like DD, it doesn't seem fair in a contest like this.
And what about the pair of malfunctioning Magnepans I got at a thrift shop for $30? If I fix them and replace the missing bases, do they count?

No, it should not count. It was not designed, it was repaired.

IMO every electrical or electromechanical component must have lowest web price to support it. It must also be readily available for others to buy.

I thought DD was only for the exempt stuff like wood or repurposed enclosures.

Oh, Boy.. This is right down my alley!

I used some left over 1/2" OSB from roof replacement a couple of years ago..

I purchased 8 in one order.. $13.50/Ea.
http://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-au...-stereo-ceiling/dp/20T8743?st=ceiling speaker

One of these for the audio source.. $4.07..
Bluetooth MP3 Decoding Board Module w/ SD Card Slot / USB / FM / Remote Decoding Board Module M011-in Electronics Production Machinery from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The Amp.. &4.79..
TDA7377 amplifier board 2.0 double track no noise amplifier module bookshelf speakers DC12V power-in Replacement Parts from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The isolation between the amp and the source cost more than either one! $7.99. but well worth it..
KROAK Car Auto 3.5mm Aux Audio Noise Filter Ground Loop Isolator Eliminate Car Electrical Noise-in Bluetooth Car Kit from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Gotta have an antenna for the FM.. $2.83..
TOYL Car Radio FM/AM Portable Internal Car Radio Amplifier Aerial Antenna Car Radio Antenna-in Aerials from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Glue and screws.. A coaxial DC connector, And a left over spray can of truck bed liner and Wala! Under $35 but match the functionality! (Remote Control Too!)

12x13x24 internal (Inches) 3" square port cut into the baffle. A little fiberglass insulation and some scrap pieces of 1"x3" strips to stiffen the sides and the back a little..

It can operate for 4-6 hrs. on a 6.8 aHr. LiPo which make it portable. (My drive-in movie speaker!) Or, a 12 v.d.c. 2 amp a.c. adapter. (Makes it stationary) Sucker sounds really good and it projects nicely..

mrNzss.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/5133/hdtY1F.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/zhELKF.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.