Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

My first two way (Markaudio+Dayton)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2018, 04:03 PM   #1
peroz is offline peroz  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default My first two way (Markaudio+Dayton)

I have apair of Markaudio CHR-70's I'm not using anymore. I always liked their sound, but not the lack of bass, and am now investigating what to do with them.

I like the DC300 because they are cheap, look good on paper, and look good.
But the CHR-70 are 85db, and I wanted to cross them as low as possible. If I use the fullranger's jargon, I want to make a FAST. But if I'm right, the lower I want to cross, the wider the baffle should be? Or should I just buy new widerangers?
Old 8th June 2018, 07:37 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Smoke 'em if you got 'em chappies -(i.e. use the CHRs) and to keep up with the current vernacular, that'd be a WAW. The easiest way to deal with different sensitivities of drivers would be to bi-amp with a passive line level XO. I could be going out on a limb, but I'd imagine most DIY speaker builders might already have extra amps easily recruitable for the duty.
Old 8th June 2018, 08:11 PM   #3
dtaylo3 is offline dtaylo3  United States
diyAudio Member

Speaker Design Works
Old 8th June 2018, 08:47 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Curt's design looks nice enough and all, but if peroz wants options to add some bass support to his existing CHRs, the DC300, or even 200 or 160s would do just fine.
Old 8th June 2018, 09:01 PM   #5
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default proposed enclosure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peroz View Post
I have apair of Markaudio CHR-70's I'm not using anymore. I always liked their sound, but not the lack of bass, and am now investigating what to do with them.

I like the DC300 because they are cheap, look good on paper, and look good.
But the CHR-70 are 85db, and I wanted to cross them as low as possible. If I use the fullranger's jargon, I want to make a FAST. But if I'm right, the lower I want to cross, the wider the baffle should be? Or should I just buy new widerangers? .
Hi there p: What type of enclosure are you proposing? Knowing this would allow others on the forum to assist you in choosing a baffle dimension. I've used several Dayton drivers, with good results, should work acceptably with the CHR's in a FAST/WAWA. ...regards Michael
Old 8th June 2018, 10:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you al for your replies so far.
@chrisb: bi-amping is something I thought of already, but thought that it is a whole new project on top of this one. Of course, like any DIYer, I have maybe half a dozen different class D amps, but use a simple class A at the moment and love it. If I went this way, I might just as well make speakers active and save on power supplies

Drivers in the speakers in the posted link have very similar sensitivity, the woofers being a little less sensitive. I don't know the exact theory about where loudness goes when connecting identical drivers parallel... but from the back of my head, going from 8 to 4 ohm boosts it by 3db. Making the response "flatish".

As for the enclosure: I thought about ~100L bass reflex but am totally open for suggestions.

The woofer used should be a 12", because I really wish to make an econowave once I find a good deal on decent CD's somewhere in the EU where shipping won't be a s criminal as from partsexpress
Old 9th June 2018, 02:31 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

peroz,

Is the DC300 available at your place? Have you done any cabinet modelling on how the driver looks in a ~100 liter BR box?

I am no expert, but assuming woofer assisted wide-band, you will end up crossing the CHR-70 below 500 Hz, and the passive XO parts are likely going to cost a bit.

Last edited by zman01; 9th June 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 9th June 2018, 02:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes. Should be -3db at 30hz. I can order the dc300 from Germany or The Nederlands for reasonable prices. Nowhere near as cheap as PE. but good enough.
I know they will cost a bit, but first I need to know how to match the MA to dayton
Old 9th June 2018, 08:21 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

With the availablity of ridiculously cheap decent amps these days 2-ways with XO at that frequency - or even lower - are a prime candidate for PLLXO and bi-amping.
Old 9th June 2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Jerms is offline Jerms  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is there a PLLXO version of an LPAD or is it more usual to fir an (additional?) attenuator/volume control to one of the amps?

My first two way (Markaudio+Dayton)Hide this!Advertise here!