Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

My first two way (Markaudio+Dayton)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2018, 08:11 PM   #31
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That MDF is an ideal cabinet material is myth AFAIC. I will get lots of argument.

dave
Old 13th October 2018, 09:27 AM   #32
peroz is offline peroz  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I don't know from very much experience, but 2 pairs of FH3's I made, one with mdf and one with ply, the one made of mdf sounds a lot tighter. Everything else is identical - driver, stuffing, room. Could be my ply was subpar, but can't know for sure, it looked good enough to me when I worked with it.
Plus, the big weight is a plus, because I won't have to fear my kids will tip them over - the reason I had to retire my FH3s.
Speakers this size, made of hi-grade plywood could be expensive as fu** as well. It's MDF this time.
Old 13th October 2018, 11:35 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peroz View Post
Really? Because I read once that the absolute best material for speakers would be a combination of mdf and particle board, so If I doubled on the thickness of the mdf... the thing should be pretty darn solid, right.
Or I could make my cabine maker sweat a little and actually make a MDF+OSB sandwich
Any amp recomendations for a speaker like this?

LM1875 or LM3886 or some class D?

The absolute best? The internet abounds with some quite entertaining bloviations on the subject, but AFAIC there's no such thing -period

I've built lot of speakers of many different types over the past two decades, and would recommend Baltic Birch or equivalent - there's a much wider range in quality of sheet goods labeled as "plywood" than is the case for MDF & PB. As far as speaker go, MDF is great for patterns, spacers and jigs.

As for type of amp - within your short list of options there's quite a range of quality from which to choose. For cheap, it's hard to beat some of the small ClassD amps from folks like Topping, YJ, SURE, etc - I have several still in my stable. If you're up to building a kit, the most impressive units I've heard recently have been LM3886 chip amps designed by Tom Christiansen - specifically the composite Modulus86 and 686. Not all chimp amp designs take the specific device's idiosyncrasies into full consideration, with varying degrees of unintended consequences or long term reliability issues.

Here's a fun read on the topic:

Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier

Last edited by chrisb; 13th October 2018 at 11:37 PM.

My first two way (Markaudio+Dayton)Hide this!Advertise here!