Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Horn questions
Horn questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2019, 01:05 PM   #11
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangus View Post
can we move on from 15year old technology?
Ha ha ha! I hear you.
But at the same time, the TAD TD-2001 is 41-year old technology (originally developed in 1978), and guess what? It STILL trounces pretty much every other small-format compression driver on the market.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:08 PM   #12
hweb is offline hweb
diyAudio Member

Frangus - I DID recommend the Peerless CD. I mentioned the Selenium as being a good choice if there is just no budget available. Say what you want about the DE250, lots of people like it (you are, of course, entitled to your opinion).

I do agree with you, though, about Radian. I think their CDs offer very good performance for reasonable $.
Old 15th March 2019, 02:43 PM   #13
damkel is offline damkel  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Being a complete beginner within speakers with horn I find it very difficult to choose both driver and horn.
I would wish somebody with knowledge and experience would put a list together with drivers and horns recommendable for hifi - just like hweb did in this thread.

So, I couldn't help thinking that I had to try with a midrange horn. I have ordered a couple Selenium D250x drivers and it was for this driver I would like to make the horn my self.
Reading the critic of Selenium I am afraid I maybe choosed the wrong driver but after googling a bit it seemed to be a OK driver.
Well well the lesson to learn here is to ask first and then buy :-)

Regarding design of horn.
Yesterday I tried Hornresp again and it is probably a very good piece of software when you know what you are doing when not I find it hopeless. Seems like it is meant to be used with a "normal" driver and not a compression driver since it requires Sd etc...???
So, I went back to the excel sheet from volvotreter.
Now this i funny because I started with version 1.3 and there wasn't any headers for all the data which meant I didn't know what to do with it. Now I have downloaded version 1.4 and not I have headers :-)
I figured out that the columns for AutoCAD was simply coordinates so I made to new columns for x and Y to make it more readable - and that was when my new upgraded PC choosed to crash and I got the "blue screen of death"...
I will try again later on :-)

By the way.
I got lot of bas with DSP but then again the 2226h is not 15 years old tech its way older :-)
Old 15th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #14
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

No need to model it in hornresp. Build a Tractrix horn with a cutoff frequency equal to the fs of the driver and plan to cross about an octave above that. (I would/did modify the throat of the Tractrix so that it begins conical at an angle equal to the exit angle of the compression driver you plan to use and then continues Tractrix from there). Whatever the response is when you measure it, figure out eq and xo design and go from there. Have fun!
Old 15th March 2019, 04:31 PM   #15
damkel is offline damkel  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Is there another program than AutoCAD that can import the script files or as an alternative import the coordinates in another format?

I just relived some of my school time and tried to put the coordinates on a checkered piece of paper....
Hmmm, turned the paper the wrong direction so ran out of paper...
And... after closing and opening the excel sheet I forgot to put in the correct data so it was actually a completely wrong horn I was drawing... ^-^
Now I realize it is a really good idea to use software to draw the horn, haha :-)
Old 15th March 2019, 05:39 PM   #16
cspieker is offline cspieker  United States
diyAudio Member

I would bet there's another program, sorry I can't tell you what it is. Hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in with how to get the spreadsheet data into free cad software.
Old 15th March 2019, 11:24 PM   #17
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

hornresp can work out dimensions for you. It can show you how high, and how wide at each step moving outward. You can choose round, rectangular, or one dimension conical and the other expanding.

Horn questionsHide this!Advertise here!