Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

HT receivers for active speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2018, 12:09 PM   #1
ErikdeBest is offline ErikdeBest  Switzerland
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Default HT receivers for active speakers

has anyone used multichannel HT receivers to power active speakers?

At the moment I am prototyping a 2 Way OB and applying the filtered/equalized line level signal to the multichannel input of a 6.1 channel Onkyo amplifier. It has individual level control for each amplifier, and the master volume of course.

Pity the multichannel input is only 5.1, so I cant access the center back amplifier at the moment. Looking at the amp schematics I have some ideas to access this channel and keep some of the level control as well as the master volume. Further option is to feed the signals directly to the power amplifier board. I saw some HT receivers with 6.1 (or higher) multichannel inputs, so these wouldnt need any hacking.

I know there is a lot of cheap amplifier boards on ebay, but I like the idea of recycling and to already have everything packed in a nice box (with input RCAs, speaker binding posts, level and volume control...)

Anyone has tips and tricks how to reuse these relatively inexpensive (I paid USD 50) "obsolete" receivers in active speakers?

cheers, Erik
Old 6th June 2018, 01:17 PM   #2
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

I was researching this very thing also. I encountered the following device that has decent reviews - Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter

I am not sure how well it works but you could save hundreds of dollars using a lower level receiver without pre-outs. have not bought one yet but plan to try it when I change out my HK 3390 two channel receiver.
Old 6th June 2018, 01:46 PM   #3
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

I do not understand how this relates to my post, so I better explain it better

For active speakers one needs a lot of individual amplifiers with individually adjustable levels, as well as a general volume control. One generally doesnt need a lot of power (at least I dont). So instead of stacking some stereo amplifiers, which are generally more expensive, I decided to get a 6 channel amplifier (with the level adjustments) to be done with one chassis only.

So I am feeding the 5.1 multichannel inputs with line level signals (at the moment using simple PLLXO) and connecting the drivers directly to the power amplifiers (in my case woofers are fed from Front Left and Right, and widerange Fostex units from the surround L and R).

I think you are looking for a cheaper option to do the whole cinema thing processing, then convert the speaker output to line level and send this to separate amplifiers? This can be done, but it is not what I am doing
Old 6th June 2018, 02:35 PM   #4
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

PLLXO, that's an interesting way to do things.

I know some HTR happily do biamping and so can be tailored to give you your two way outputs. Some guys have done FAST/WAW systems like this.

Otherwise it's minidsp or pc with sound card methinks?
Old 6th June 2018, 02:51 PM   #5
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply,
for the moment indeed PLLXO as I need very shallow filters and these are some initial tests. After my holydays I will plug the miniDSP to it to give me more freedom: the principle remains the same though. Input to the multichannel IN, level and volume control in the HT and drivers directly connected to the power stages.
Old 6th June 2018, 03:15 PM   #6
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes. I did not understand the query. I have an active system using a Behringer DCX2496 to tailor the output to individual power amps.
Old 6th June 2018, 03:30 PM   #7
nc535 is offline nc535
diyAudio Member

back in the day, I had an Onkyo HT receiver that had both pre-outs and pre-ins. That is what you want. Good luck finding one today. That feature was dropped a long time ago
Old 6th June 2018, 03:58 PM   #8
wcwc is online now wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Most upper end AVRs still have multichannel inputs and have preouts for connecting amps. Most of the time they don't go through the DSP, so they stay analog the whole way through the AVR. The OP is talking about using the amps in the AVR, so he only needs multichannel inputs to the AVR. Don't see why it won't work.
Old 6th June 2018, 09:44 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Indeed, the feature sets / functionality of surround receivers covers a very wide range, and few are intended to be used exactly as intended here, so it's a crap shoot as to whether / how easily it can be achieved.

Many of the current models easily accommodate passive bi-amping of the front L& R mains (by usurping one pair of amp channels assignable to either that function or front height/width surround), and for a short few product cycles some would allow for full onboard digital XO and active bi-amping. I happen to own one such - Onkyo TX NR818 - and that function works quite well - although not as ultimately flexible as minidsp or any "real" outboard active crossover, it has the tremendous advantage of being controlled / calibrated by the DSP function - ie scroll through the on-screen menus, select the size / configuration of speakers, plug in the calibration mike and let 'er rip - an absolute godsend as far as I'm concerned.

wcwc - I've owned several surround receivers over the past decade or so, and while both previous Denons and my current Onkyo have pre-amp (volume controlled) outputs for as many surround channels as you might want to invoke in the main system with external amps, as well as line outputs assignable for separate zones, I can't ever recall seeing one with multi-channel line inputs that would allow access to the power amp stages of the receiver. I'm curious if that was a feature in older models of which I'm conveniently ignorant, or a conflation?
Old 6th June 2018, 10:03 PM   #10
cph2000 is offline cph2000  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Do you have hdmi in? I found this guys work inspiring:

YouTube

HT receivers for active speakersHide this!Advertise here!