Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

HT receivers for active speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2018, 05:14 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

uh, FWIW I'm pretty sure that in the digital XO bi-amp mode on the TX NR818 while you don't have independently selectable XO frequencies for each of the L&R front channels (not something I ever needed in the 6 months or so I used this mode with my "simple" two-way), the bass from all channels - each separately adjustable - is summed below the LFE XO point.

There are at least a dozen pages in the 156page owner's manual for this beast covering speaker configuration / calibration alone, and IIRC about 4 levels of on screen menu to be navigated. Even with practice it takes a few minutes to play with, and the only cabling that needs to be connected / disconnected is the Audyssey calibration mike.
Old 9th June 2018, 09:57 AM   #22
jklow888 is offline jklow888  Australia
diyAudio Member

Further reading and checking other forums confirms that nifty feature is only available on the Onkyo TX-NR5010, TX-NR3010, TX-NR1010, and TX-NR818 models but ... in subsequent generations it was sadly dropped

Would be amazing if they still carried that in today's product line. At least Erik might have an option to find one of the above and/or BNIB. Only downside is the lowest the digital crossover can go to is 250Hz - 125/100 would have been better for OB options.
Old 9th June 2018, 12:47 PM   #23
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Sorry if i don't understand ,maybe TX-NR818 sum sub channel but not TX-NR3010 and TX-NR5010 ,you can check schematic ONKYO TX-NR5010 SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

There's DACSWL and DACSWR channel from DAC output ( Q1006 PCM1796DBR page 16 ) ,then opamp for each until volume control ( Q4502 CS3318 page 13 ) ,then RCA output SW1 for R channel and SW2 for L channel .

In fact, with those HT receivers, you can have 3 ways digital crossovers : low pass until 250Hz , band pass from 250Hz to 5000Hz ,and high pass from 5000Hz.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:32 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Downloading the owner's manual for the 3010/5010 it would appear they share the same digital crossover / bi-amp capabilities as the 818, but for Patrick's application the lowest available crossover point of 250Hz is still higher than he'd like.
Old 26th June 2018, 07:58 AM   #25
ErikdeBest is offline ErikdeBest  Switzerland
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkki1 View Post
My OB setup with active bi-amping:
I purchased old and cheap Denon AVR-2106 receiver, 7.1 channels.
It already has internal setup for bi-amping, by using the back surround channels in parallel with front channels. But that did not solve the cross-over thing.

So, I ended to make some re-wiring with the front and back channel inputs. I cut the power amp input lines and wired them to back panel, re-using RCA connectors from component video input. Now there is pre-out and power amp in for front and back channel amps, and MiniDSP 2x4HD for cross-over and EQ.
The receiver works completely as original, but of course only up to 5.1 mode. Well, no component video input anymore but...
Completed by couple hours soldering job.
Such a setup is indeed what I am aiming for. even though my Onkyo TX SR502 has 6 channels, the multichannel input is limited to 5.1. The volume control chip is the BD3817KS. This one has 6.1 input, but pin 29 (Center back) is not wired - and I dont feel like dealing with this SMD thingy On the BD3817KS schematic one sees the 10uF coupling caps. These are throughhole caps, and possibly best path to feed signal from outside. Advantage is that one keeps the overall volume control and about 15dB of individual level control. Other option is to feed the signal straight to the endstage, but I would lose the volume control. As this unit will be used mostly for prototyping and testing, keeping the volume/level controls gives more flexibility!
Old 26th June 2018, 11:43 AM   #26
erkki1 is offline erkki1  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikdeBest View Post
and I dont feel like dealing with this SMD thingy
In my receiver there is a nice flat-cable set which carries audio signals from pre-amp to power amp board. So I didn't have to dig into the circuit board at all. Just take hold of the cable set and modify connections to that.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:05 AM   #27
ErikdeBest is offline ErikdeBest  Switzerland
mostly thinkerer
diyAudio Member

Just saw this yesterday:
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO Azur 551R V1 AV Receiver (Black)

Looks like a very nice deal for someone in the US or Canada (shipping to Europe adds another 110 USD + taxes)). I looked at one of these secondhand here in Switzerland, and liked it has 7.1 inputs and outputs, allowing to control up to a 4 way speaker: overall and individual volume/level settings available for all 8 channel. Then 6 powered channels (eg. tweeter, mid, woofer) + 2 preouts for an external amplifier or active subwoofers. Unfortunately I didnt find a service manual to check how volume/level control is handled.

Last edited by ErikdeBest; 14th September 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:00 PM   #28
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TV box (HDMI outs) + ...

If you use a "TV box" as a media server, one with HDMI out, and a software such as JRiver, you would need no more hardware than cables, a DVR and the speakers. While I used different hardware, you could use a "PC" such as the Pipo X9, less than $200.

HT receivers for active speakersHide this!Advertise here!