HT receivers for active speakers

uh, FWIW I'm pretty sure that in the digital XO bi-amp mode on the TX NR818 while you don't have independently selectable XO frequencies for each of the L&R front channels (not something I ever needed in the 6 months or so I used this mode with my "simple" two-way), the bass from all channels - each separately adjustable - is summed below the LFE XO point.

There are at least a dozen pages in the 156page owner's manual for this beast covering speaker configuration / calibration alone, and IIRC about 4 levels of on screen menu to be navigated. Even with practice it takes a few minutes to play with, and the only cabling that needs to be connected / disconnected is the Audyssey calibration mike.

Further reading and checking other forums confirms that nifty feature is only available on the Onkyo TX-NR5010, TX-NR3010, TX-NR1010, and TX-NR818 models :up: but ... in subsequent generations it was sadly dropped :down:

Would be amazing if they still carried that in today's product line. At least Erik might have an option to find one of the above and/or BNIB. Only downside is the lowest the digital crossover can go to is 250Hz - 125/100 would have been better for OB options.

Sorry if i don't understand ,maybe TX-NR818 sum sub channel but not TX-NR3010 and TX-NR5010 ,you can check schematic ONKYO TX-NR5010 SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

There's DACSWL and DACSWR channel from DAC output ( Q1006 PCM1796DBR page 16 ) ,then opamp for each until volume control ( Q4502 CS3318 page 13 ) ,then RCA output SW1 for R channel and SW2 for L channel .

In fact, with those HT receivers, you can have 3 ways digital crossovers : low pass until 250Hz , band pass from 250Hz to 5000Hz ,and high pass from 5000Hz.

My OB setup with active bi-amping:
I purchased old and cheap Denon AVR-2106 receiver, 7.1 channels.
It already has internal setup for bi-amping, by using the back surround channels in parallel with front channels. But that did not solve the cross-over thing.

So, I ended to make some re-wiring with the front and back channel inputs. I cut the power amp input lines and wired them to back panel, re-using RCA connectors from component video input. Now there is pre-out and power amp in for front and back channel amps, and MiniDSP 2x4HD for cross-over and EQ.
The receiver works completely as original, but of course only up to 5.1 mode. Well, no component video input anymore but...
Completed by couple hours soldering job.

Such a setup is indeed what I am aiming for. even though my Onkyo TX SR502 has 6 channels, the multichannel input is limited to 5.1. The volume control chip is the BD3817KS. This one has 6.1 input, but pin 29 (Center back) is not wired - and I dont feel like dealing with this SMD thingy :) On the BD3817KS schematic one sees the 10uF coupling caps. These are throughhole caps, and possibly best path to feed signal from outside. Advantage is that one keeps the overall volume control and about 15dB of individual level control. Other option is to feed the signal straight to the endstage, but I would lose the volume control. As this unit will be used mostly for prototyping and testing, keeping the volume/level controls gives more flexibility!

Just saw this yesterday:
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO Azur 551R V1 AV Receiver (Black)

Looks like a very nice deal for someone in the US or Canada (shipping to Europe adds another 110 USD + taxes)). I looked at one of these secondhand here in Switzerland, and liked it has 7.1 inputs and outputs, allowing to control up to a 4 way speaker: overall and individual volume/level settings available for all 8 channel. Then 6 powered channels (eg. tweeter, mid, woofer) + 2 preouts for an external amplifier or active subwoofers. Unfortunately I didnt find a service manual to check how volume/level control is handled.

Last edited:
TV box (HDMI outs) + ...

If you use a "TV box" as a media server, one with HDMI out, and a software such as JRiver, you would need no more hardware than cables, a DVR and the speakers. While I used different hardware, you could use a "PC" such as the Pipo X9, less than $200.

has anyone used multichannel HT receivers to power active speakers?

At the moment I am prototyping a 2 Way OB and applying the filtered/equalized line level signal to the multichannel input of a 6.1 channel Onkyo amplifier. It has individual level control for each amplifier, and the master volume of course.

Pity the multichannel input is only 5.1, so I cant access the center back amplifier at the moment. Looking at the amp schematics I have some ideas to access this channel and keep some of the level control as well as the master volume. Further option is to feed the signals directly to the power amplifier board. I saw some HT receivers with 6.1 (or higher) multichannel inputs, so these wouldnt need any hacking.

I know there is a lot of cheap amplifier boards on ebay, but I like the idea of recycling and to already have everything packed in a nice box (with input RCAs, speaker binding posts, level and volume control...)

Anyone has tips and tricks how to reuse these relatively inexpensive (I paid USD 50) "obsolete" receivers in active speakers?

cheers, Erik
There are several ways to do what your objective is. I've done several of them with success. I will ellaborate on some such methods but I'll refrain from identifying the brands or specific models because I build and integrate such systems that I fondly refer to as custom Frankenstein Systems for myself and other at costs a fraction of conventional ways by my using very low cost now obsolete systems.
Don't let " obsoletely mislead you though. Many such obsolete components and AVR systems can have been state of the art in their time. That is a big plus because it additionally facilitates doing exactly what your objective seeks. Let's no leave it there though . If you're seeking DIY let us do so with a flare and become revolutionary innovators. The is no limit to Frankenstein systems and at a fraction of cost. It takes a flare for research though because as you develop your own Monster you'll quickly discover the inherent reason for reserving not passing on brands and component models . When you're in the figurative monster DIY system you'll QUICKLY discover two critical imparing factors. To devulge brands and models induces the available pieces parts components radically inflate in cost and availability. Thus reserve your own monstrosity creation brands and models. With that said it time to train a few Baron Von Frankenstein audio mad scientists. Remember, don't fight against your own mad genius creation or your find cadavers become scare and progressively more expensive.

Start with the second or third generation earliest AVR components. This is because while still obsolete those manufacturers already redressed aot of bugs in the first generation AVR components. I'm not going to micro manage your monster factory here. I will tell you what sort of components to seek very nicely priced inexpensive. Most components must possess some internal loop inputs and outputs, such as recording tape circuitry inputs main in's with pass through main outs is a very big plus. You don't want a cadaver with figuratively one leg because that won't walk. Next and essential cadaver to integrate will be a surround DSP PROCESSOR. One that hasits own medium wattage amplifier and bypass output connectors. Now for integrating your cadavers brain which will sound Abby-Normal brain to common reasoning but this core brain will be what affords your monstrous creation its audiophile on pennies budget the quality in you monster your listeners visiting your monster will envy. Obtain a " GOOD !!! " but obsolete very flexible solid state pre-amplifier. Something that friendly to use in conjunction with old power amps that can EFFICIENT ( handle !!! ) 4 ohm loads. Next if you seek the early 3rd generation AVR rcvr I first mentioned, make sure it has the minimal 5.1multi channel inputs. Additionally ideal that AVR should ideally have pre-outs for 3.1. Your final AVR second receiver should have minimal 7.1 multi-channel input and 7.1 Pre-amp output. I assure you, with those cadavers you have exactly what you need to make your monster that will produce audiophile grade multi channel stereo as well as to synthesize a dolby atmos circuit that will play play analog 2 channel signals or DSP MULTI CHANNEL SIGNALS AS SYNTHESIZE dolby atmos reflection 360°. Remember it's up to you to research specific brands and models. I have no desire to give the gun powder to cavalirer mad scientists that would drive brands and model's costs to inflate that my frankenstein beast are created with.

There are several ways to do what your objective is. I've done several of them with success. I will ellaborate on some such methods but I'll refrain from identifying the brands or specific models because I build and integrate such systems that I fondly refer to as custom Frankenstein Systems for myself and other at costs a fraction of conventional ways by my using very low cost now obsolete systems.
Don't let " obsoletely mislead you though. Many such obsolete components and AVR systems can have been state of the art in their time. That is a big plus because it additionally facilitates doing exactly what your objective seeks. Let's no leave it there though . If you're seeking DIY let us do so with a flare and become revolutionary innovators. The is no limit to Frankenstein systems and at a fraction of cost. It takes a flare for research though because as you develop your own Monster you'll quickly discover the inherent reason for reserving not passing on brands and component models . When you're in the figurative monster DIY system you'll QUICKLY discover two critical imparing factors. To devulge brands and models induces the available pieces parts components radically inflate in cost and availability. Thus reserve your own monstrosity creation brands and models. With that said it time to train a few Baron Von Frankenstein audio mad scientists. Remember, don't fight against your own mad genius creation or your find cadavers become scare and progressively more expensive.

Start with the second or third generation earliest AVR components. This is because while still obsolete those manufacturers already redressed aot of bugs in the first generation AVR components. I'm not going to micro manage your monster factory here. I will tell you what sort of components to seek very nicely priced inexpensive. Most components must possess some internal loop inputs and outputs, such as recording tape circuitry inputs main in's with pass through main outs is a very big plus. You don't want a cadaver with figuratively one leg because that won't walk. Next and essential cadaver to integrate will be a surround DSP PROCESSOR. One that hasits own medium wattage amplifier and bypass output connectors. Now for integrating your cadavers brain which will sound Abby-Normal brain to common reasoning but this core brain will be what affords your monstrous creation its audiophile on pennies budget the quality in you monster your listeners visiting your monster will envy. Obtain a " GOOD !!! " but obsolete very flexible solid state pre-amplifier. Something that friendly to use in conjunction with old power amps that can EFFICIENT ( handle !!! ) 4 ohm loads. Next if you seek the early 3rd generation AVR rcvr I first mentioned, make sure it has the minimal 5.1multi channel inputs. Additionally ideal that AVR should ideally have pre-outs for 3.1. Your final AVR second receiver should have minimal 7.1 multi-channel input and 7.1 Pre-amp output. I assure you, with those cadavers you have exactly what you need to make your monster that will produce audiophile grade multi channel stereo as well as to synthesize a dolby atmos circuit that will play play analog 2 channel signals or DSP MULTI CHANNEL SIGNALS AS SYNTHESIZE dolby atmos reflection 360°. Remember it's up to you to research specific brands and models. I have no desire to give the gun powder to cavalirer mad scientists that would drive brands and model's costs to inflate that my frankenstein beast are created with.
Should you wish to put icing on this monster you'll create; buy an obsolete medium wattage 8 channel power amp. That will figuratively turbo charge your Peterbilt along the tarmac. Beware !!! Your Hulk monster may not always control its emotional audio outbursts. It will roar like Godzilla.

Wow, besides bringing Frankenstein to live, also old threads are ressurected! I used an Arcam AVR250 for a while, but it started hissing, and I do not feel like replacing a lot of caps... Also, my system was reduced to a two way, so I only need 4 amps, which I made myself and still making more!

Looking forward to more of your post, like the writing style!! :)

Wow, besides bringing Frankenstein to live, also old threads are ressurected! I used an Arcam AVR250 for a while, but it started hissing, and I do not feel like replacing a lot of caps... Also, my system was reduced to a two way, so I only need 4 amps, which I made myself and still making more!

The integration of these cadavers need not gave equal semetr

The cadavers I've alluded to needn't have semmetry equal wattage output across components. Remember, power isn't the trick. Ambience in Timber and frequency control across integrated components will be able to leave the resonance at the control of your will. You will dominate the monster's brain as all mad scientists are inclined. The solidstate surround DSP processor should have a proprietary crosstalk infinite adjustment control knobs for right and left channels . This one feature with allow YOU T to custom control the signals that will be emitted by the center speaker. Its a unique feature no longer put on any digital rcvrs or processors. It's obsoleteness gives the system its unique balance crossover and matrix at the center speaker . Once the crosstalk is adjusted according to your taste , that's where this surround processors own medium wattage amplification makes miracles. Now you can drive gain with you solid state separate pre-amp for warmth and use the processor's volume control to withdraw or project the center speaker signal.