Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

three way speaker crossover
three way speaker crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2018, 11:18 PM   #1
senthilkumar is offline senthilkumar
diyAudio Member

Default three way speaker crossover

hi,
i am going to do three way stereo speaker project. i use 8 ohms for low ,mid ,high frequencies . for low frequencies i want to use two 8 ohms woofers per channel in parallel configuration . so low frequency crossover will see 4 ohm load ,mid and high frequency crossover will see 8 ohm load.

i am not sure about this configuration . is it possible have this configuration?
Old 29th May 2018, 11:57 PM   #2
DickHertz is offline DickHertz  United States
diyAudio Member

With the right crossover, you could put something together. Ahh but there's the rub. The crossover. If you've never designed one, that would obviously be a problem Off-the-shelf crossovers are usually a waste of money so it wouldn't be recommended to go there. What you might do instead is investigate any one of the multitude of proven designs from Parts Express, Madisound, Troels Gravesen, or John Krutke.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:06 AM   #3
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Senthil:

Either make a pre-designed kit, or learn crossover design.

If your goal is to learn a lot, spend a few months learning. Start with a simple 2-way kit, not a 3-way.

If you want to make inexpensive speakers, find a good kit that's already designed for you.

Best,

Erik
Old 30th May 2018, 01:32 AM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthilkumar View Post
low frequency crossover will see 4 ohm load ,mid and high frequency crossover will see 8 ohm load.

i am not sure about this configuration . is it possible have this configuration?
Yes, this is OK. The crossover is the same -- except the component values change a little. Example, the resistor values and inductor values are half. Even better, you can simulate and it will be just as easy as having all 8 ohm
Old 1st June 2018, 04:58 AM   #5
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Three way TM-WW designs are very popular because a narrow cabinet can be used with two 8" woofers, but still have the high SPL and high efficiency of one 12" woofer. Htguide.com has a well reviewed TM-WW with modest cost Dayton drivers. A search will find several TM-WW designs with higher quality drivers.
==========
When I ran a simple WinISD sim of two Dayton RS225-8 aluminum cone woofers the data showed that a ported box with 3cuft generates -F3 ~32Hz, which provides strong stand-alone bass.

The Dennis Murphy Design. Most of this research can be used with a slightly differently shaped 2-cabinet TM-WW construction to fit your style/needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htguide Dayton TMWW.jpg (100.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg HTguide Daytom TMWW.JPG (86.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Sony SS AR1.jpg (87.6 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by LineSource; 1st June 2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 1st June 2018, 06:26 AM   #6
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

It's risky to have two 8ohm woofers in parallel because the impedance can drop to such a low level that they become difficult for your average amp to drive. Problem is you are crossing where the impedance is very low. If it were a 2 way with parallel midbass drivers, you'd be crossing much higher, where the impedance is also high.
Old 1st June 2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Link to the htguide page

A Guide to HTguide.com Completed Speaker Designs.

As a starting point the Holtz Anthology mini would be worth looking. Similar to the speaker line source outlined.

Speaker Design Works

The Statement mini is also worth a look but uses two 6.5” woofers but they go pretty low.
Old 1st June 2018, 07:10 AM   #8
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have used LSPCAD to optimize the crossover.
Works fine.
Old 1st June 2018, 05:58 PM   #9
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

LineSource, what happens in the sim if you put a 3rd woofer right below the first 2 in the same box. I am asking because I have a pair of Nuance 3CL speakers with almost exact dimensions. 2 * 8 inch woofers and dome tweeter with tuned port on bottom rear
Old 1st June 2018, 09:25 PM   #10
senthilkumar is offline senthilkumar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Three way TM-WW designs are very popular because a narrow cabinet can be used with two 8" woofers, but still have the high SPL and high efficiency of one 12" woofer. Htguide.com has a well reviewed TM-WW with modest cost Dayton drivers. A search will find several TM-WW designs with higher quality drivers.
==========
When I ran a simple WinISD sim of two Dayton RS225-8 aluminum cone woofers the data showed that a ported box with 3cuft generates -F3 ~32Hz, which provides strong stand-alone bass.

The Dennis Murphy Design. Most of this research can be used with a slightly differently shaped 2-cabinet TM-WW construction to fit your style/needs.
thank you, i have designed three way with single woofer per channel but woofer spl is low to my taste and i have to boost bass frequency in preamp . again thank you for your reply i will go for two woofer per channel for higher spl ..

three way speaker crossoverHide this!Advertise here!