Horn acoustics Gauss + Radian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good afternoon,
dear audiophiles of all categories, ranging from lovers to Super Nano Extra Pro))) I want to share my way in obtaining a sound which, in my opinion, is a real HI end. A year ago, I created a topic about acoustics search for vocals and jazz. And finally it was found !!! Hi-Fi started in the distant 2010 when I acquired the yamaha ns -777 acoustic that was playing well for the beginning, but it felt like it was the starting point in the world of sound. Therefore, in 2017, I bought the Monitor Audio GR20 and immediately felt an increase in the sound as a greater detail of the entire spectrum and more luxurious bass.

This is because I connected them to the same components as yamaha ns-777. This fact gave me reason to believe that acoustics plays the greatest role in reproducing the sound. Then I met the most beautiful person, the real audiofile - Alexander Nikolayevich (Hi-Fi Forum - Профиль пользователя Пионер - Основное), who took me by the hand led me into the world of Horn Acoustics. I have read 1,000 forums and articles on the subject of the horn sound. After reading all this from the outset, I was scared by the saying that the speaker dyed the sound, the sound was not alive, the sound was like from the pipe, the muzzle distorted the sound, that it was the last century, that this is not for all genres of music, that it is not suitable for everyone, that a large room is needed to the horn played and so on and so on. But weighing everything for and against, trusting the words of Alexander Nikolaevich, I decided to take a chance and plunge into the horn sound. And it was not wrong! So, last year, one man started to implement the grand project of the horn acoustics of the Japanese audio engineer Yuichi Arai. The name of this person, I'm not afraid of this word, the WIZARD and just a good mentor, I will not specifically disclose that the audience did not think that I'm trying to advertise someone or sell something!

And so it all began with the selection of material for hulls and horns. It was decided to build a low-frequency section from sheets of thick 30 mm MDF, covered with a good veneer of the Ebony tree, painted in not less than 20 layers of varnish to give acoustics a proper look. The GAUSS 5831 15-inch speaker (97 dB sensitivity, range from 35 to 3000 Hz), which has an Alnico magnetic system recognized by audiophiles, was taken. It was very problematic to get it, since this speaker has not been produced for a long time and immediately flies away from sales if it appears on auctions in Japan or on Ebe.

The weight of the LF section was about 90 kg + dynamics of 13 kg. The total weight of one LF section has exceeded a hundred square meters !!! The volume turned out to be about 250 sheets, which is ideal for dynamics of this size. Paint was carried out in a layer with subsequent grinding and the expectation of drying the previous layer for at least a week! The MH / HF range is trusted to reproduce the compression driver of the American firm Radian-850PB 16 ohm (sensitivity 113 dB, range 500-20 000 Hz), loaded with a manual A-290 muzzle, analog TAD-4001. Due to its design, this horn is able to reproduce the range from 300 to 20,000 Hz without distortion. The chopper, like the body of the LF section, was built precisely in accordance with the original drawings of Yuichi Arai.

By the way, I still do not understand people who build systems at random in the garage, without drawings of eminent firms or engineers, based solely on hearing and their opinion. The average sensitivity of the system was about 98 dB. The separation of the bands was carried out with a crossover of 3 orders (18 db / octave) at a frequency of 800 Hz. There were fears that loading a low-frequency speaker up to 800 Hz would have a bad effect on the sound and that one Radian-850PB driver could not cover the range from 800 to 20,000 Hz. But these fears disappeared after the first turn on the system. Running forward I will say that the thought of creating a separate third of the band for HD reproduction was lost right away! The Radian-850PB driver calmly cope with high frequencies and is able to independently pull a range from 800 to 20k Hz! Especially since there is only one cross-linking of the bands in the system. Well, now it's time to turn on the system! The first thing that struck this openness and the magnitude of the sound. As if from the columns removed a blanket and they began to play easily and intuitively.

I was worried that the MH / RF horn would not be able to produce worthy RFs, but the bells and other RF sounds turned out to be detailed and high. Well, now a favorite theme, for what in principle and this system was built - vocals. He turned out to be so realistic that it was just like the ant skin. The vocalist in the center, the voice of the voice is correct, the slightest breaths-exholes of the artist can be heard. No hole color! LF is not something that moves the sofa (as a matter of fact a fabric pendant and diffuser paper). But they are fast, flabby and so truthful that when the wand hits the drum in the composition, you start looking for a drummer in the room))) The drum used to be so realistic. At me the amplifier for the present time not for these kolok - Primare 30.5. I think his replacement will add a little bass. Well, plus general warming will improve the situation. Although now the bass is at its height. I hear bass and not hum. In general, the conclusion is that for the first time in the path of my "audiofilm" I realized that I no longer want to search for anything. The desired sound is found !!! I never thought that I would reach the rumors and that they would shut me up. But I'm very glad that thanks to the mentors I found myself in this "sect", the hunters will understand))))

During the time you studied the horn sound, system building, listening to your system and other horn systems, I made a number of conclusions for myself that could help you confirm or refute some of the reasons:
1. Horn acoustics - Hearing acoustics is a disagreement, not every acoustic plays the same!
2. Not every horn acoustic does not have a "horn color", an important role is played by the driver and the execution of the horn!
3. None of the "Stolbikovyh" listened to me by the acoustic was able to create sound pressure at the concert comparable to the horn acoustics!
4. Not a cable, not a goat, not a forehead, not an amplifier, not networking so much does not change the sound for the better as a change of the acoustics itself, especially on the horn! Although they definitely make their own adjustments.
5. Horn acoustics are less demanding to acoustic room processing. The speaker directs the sound to the listening location, thus reducing the reflection along the way. Normal acoustics radiate sound from all sides - from here a bunch of problems with the acoustics of the room!
6. Horn acoustics due to high sensitivity (from 97 dB.) Is able to transfer more pieces and details in the composition!
7. Horn acoustics due to high sensitivity (from 97 dB.) Is capable of swinging with a lower power amplifier!
8. The sensitivity of the acoustic 90 and 98 dB is a very large difference in the volume of almost 4.5 times. Correspondingly, you have to screw down the volume less, as a result of less distortion!
9. The compression driver in the horn acoustics has tens of times less distortion than usual speakers!
10. Horn acoustics are better than the other transmit air!
11. Horn acoustics is better than others drawing the image of tools and is able to convey their real size!
12. Bass on fabric podvesah and paper diffuser is more correct, but not so bassovit as in "column" acoustics!

Do not judge strictly on the text for an error or inaccuracy, but wrote from the soul)) All that is written is my opinion on the sound of a horn I heard me.

The purpose of this article is to draw attention to the option of acquiring horn acoustics of music lovers who once stood as I am at the crossroads of two roads and do not know where to go further in the world of audio. Horn acoustics is truly admirable. I know that I will never return to "Stolbikova" acoustics - that's for sure))))

So I present to your attention the system of my dream, which was embodied and built for a long 6 months.

Acoustics - Horn on the speakers LF - Gauss 5831 and hp / hp driver Radian 850pb.
Transport - Oppo 103d.
Amplifier - Primare 30.5
DAC - DAC EAD DSP-7000 Series III.
The preamplifier is Poceed PAV.
Acoustic wires - Van-den Hul Magnum.
Interblocniki - Van Den Hul WATERFALL.
The room is 25 sq.m.

Foto

Foto

Attachments

• viber image.jpg
    viber image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 282
  • viber image33.jpg
    viber image33.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 282
  • viber image312.jpg
    viber image312.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 285
  • viber image432.jpg
    viber image432.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 286
  • viber image 2.jpg
    viber image 2.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 283
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 139
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.