What tweeter and 7" woofer for the best 2 way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is one of those questions that could have any number of answers, but for me...

SB Acoustics SB17NBAC35 woofer.
Monacor WG300 waveguide.
Some Be tweeter on the waveguide.

I was going to pick the transducer lab Be dome but I thought they'd gone out of business, so perhaps just the Scanspeak one.

Cross at about 2.2kHz for a good directivity match. Why the SB metal cone driver? Because I enjoy metal cones and the SB is rather unique in that the ribs keep the amplified harmonics, that are usually found in stiff drivers, well controlled, and would allow for a 2.2kHz xover.

The other option would be to use something like the T34A from Bliesma on the waveguide and cross at 1kHz.

I am very pleased with the 7" Satori MW19P-4 and SB29RDC-4 tweeter on a flat baffle 0.7cuft volume cabinet with a rear port that can also be sealed. With passive crossovers at 1650Hz, both BW3/BW3 and LR4/LR4 circuits produce great sound free of cone breakup. I tested the passive LR4/LR4 for confidence with a future 2-channel amp with active LR4/LR4 Xover.

A sealed box Satori MW19P-4 covers human voices from soprano to bass.

The Rival Acoustics Aramid-fiber R176-KC-08 will have an F3 of ~65Hz in 12 ltrs while keeping its composure until about 100dB, according to simulation. 20 ltrs vented (I know the OP said sealed) will yield an F3 about 25Hz lower, and be just as clean with a little more driver protection around tuning.

I agree that the MW16P or MW19P would be great in a sealed box.

Later,
Wolf

Last edited:
And they are a little bit too much for the low end choice too.

Are your suggestions based on an existing speaker and if so is there a review available?

Thanks.

Grant.

Not an existing speaker - just from what I'm seeing on the PE pdf for the driver. (..increase resistance to near 8 ohms, drop the response 2.4 - 17 khz, etc..)

A good low-end response is something I always value - which typically makes for a better high-pass response.

..of course the response totally depends on how the tweeter is loaded (..both as far as an enclosure AND baffle dimension).

Last edited:
My thoughts so far are:
Scan Speak Illuminator D3004/66400 &
Scan Speak Revelator 18W/8531G

I can't think of a more horrible and difficult combination, TBH. And totally unsuited to 20L closed box. :D

We do get some sickly stray cats wandering up to our door.... :eek:

The guys are, of course, totally right that an 8" woofer can work spectacularly well here.
E0045-08S W22NY001
JA8008-HMQ

The main thing is to know a good 8" woofer when you see one. Troels remarks: "To my ears, this is the best speaker I've ever made."

DTQWT-mkII

Not much to the main section, if you regard the twin bass reinforcement as a bit of iceing on the cake. I like this sort of thing myself. :cool:

Attachments

• SEAS W22NY001.PNG
    SEAS W22NY001.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 433
  • TQWT MkII.PNG
    TQWT MkII.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 433
  • Monitor Audio with Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter.jpg
    Monitor Audio with Monacor HT-22 cone tweeter.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 825
  • Monitor Audio MA300-MD Modified Circuit..PNG
    Monitor Audio MA300-MD Modified Circuit..PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 823
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.