Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Whoa, cool new tweeter from Peerless!!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2018, 08:05 PM   #11
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

So..... how many minutes until someone has one of these stuck onto a waveguide?
Old 16th May 2018, 08:17 PM   #12
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Related info, with this and other new Peerless drivers here:

Interesting New Tymphany Drivers — MAC/DIY
Old 16th May 2018, 08:22 PM   #13
DBMandrake is offline DBMandrake  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yawn.

Another really inefficient dome tweeter with a huge supersonic resonance peak. Why is everyone fawning over it ?

The on axis response in red is showing significant ripples in response on the order of 2-3dB peak/peak somewhere in the 3-4Khz region (hard to tell due to the rubbish graph that has a compressed vertical axis and only has vertical lines every decade!) which are not visible in the 30 degree off axis response so will almost certainly be diffraction problems.

Either the measurement was taken with the driver not flush mounted or there is a problem with the design of the faceplate that is causing significant diffraction at these frequencies. Having big diffraction ripples in the response right in the presence region is a big no-no, that will be audible as harshness and cause imaging to change significantly as you go slightly off axis.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to my 96 dB/W waveguide loaded ribbon tweeters. They wont go as low in frequency but they're far flatter, no supersonic resonance, no diffraction problems in the presence region and have good directivity control right down to 2Khz to minimise baffle edge diffraction.

Even after baffle step correction I still wouldn't be able to use one of these with my current midwoofers as it would be more than 3dB less sensitive than the woofer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmass View Post
And I hate it when there is no indication of what X max means. Peak or Pk to Pk??
Unless otherwise stated Xmax is always quoted as peak, not peak to peak. So 0.7mm peak, 1.4mm peak-peak.

Last edited by DBMandrake; 16th May 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:32 PM   #14
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

yea the ripples around 3-4 do look suspect. Maybe Faceplate, or I wonder if there is some suspension resonance issues?? would love to see a CSD.

Thanks on the x max info
Old 16th May 2018, 11:15 PM   #15
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Another tweeter from the DA range was tested here...

Peerless DA25BG08-06 | HiFiCompass

For the price it has excellent performance and is on a par with the SEAS 27TBFC/G.
Old 17th May 2018, 07:30 AM   #16
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertner View Post
If a low crossover point is important, the 32 mm version, DA32TX00-08, is even cooler. 4,5 mm gap height yielding an xmax of 1 mm.
Yep, this one looks really interesting. I wish someone stocked it.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:35 PM   #17
bmwparts is offline bmwparts  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
Yawn.

Another really inefficient dome tweeter with a huge supersonic resonance peak. Why is everyone fawning over it ?
Because it's a $55 tweeter with a Corundum (literally 9/10 on the Mohs scale, 10 being Diamond) dome, copper in the motor, and other good design features we haven't seen in a $55 tweeter ever as far as I know!

How is that not exciting?! Cool innovations in the audio world for attainable prices (ESS DACs, Affordable DSP, etc.) should ALWAYS excite those who care about this hobby.

Last edited by bmwparts; 17th May 2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 20th May 2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

There's an ongoing thread on PETT. Measurements posted soon, if not already- so will know if peak causes any 3rd harmonic issues
Old 20th May 2018, 02:47 PM   #19
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwparts View Post
Because it's a $55 tweeter with a Corundum (literally 9/10 on the Mohs scale, 10 being Diamond) dome,
Which is fine & dandy, but its breakup mode is still only ~27KHz according to their own measurements, which is about the same as the Seas 27TBFC/G with an aluminium / magnesium dome, IIRC no better than the old Dayton RS28a-4 with an aluminium dome, & in a similar region to the aluminium dome SB 26ADC give or take once the phase shield / Helmholtz is factored in. So it doesn't appear to be getting a great deal of benefit purely from that POV.

Quote:
copper in the motor
Which isn't exactly unknown and does not automatically bring benefits. The 27TBFC/G doesn't have a great deal in the way of Faraday shielding IIRC, but is still a very low distortion tweeter. While the RST28A-4 (like its RS28A-4 predecessor) has full symmetric drive, a PE list price of $49.99 & is currently listed by them as of this date at a sale price of $29.90, so it isn't exactly as though Faraday shielding or varitions on symmetric drive are unknown in budget tweeters.

Quote:
and other good design features we haven't seen in a $55 tweeter ever as far as I know!
Such as? Other than a physically fancy looking finned motor which we do not yet know is bringing any actual benefits? Since it's a ferrite, not a neodymium magnet, I can't help but wonder about how much practical value it confers.

Quote:
How is that not exciting?! Cool innovations in the audio world for attainable prices (ESS DACs, Affordable DSP, etc.) should ALWAYS excite those who care about this hobby.
Until evidence emerges that the 'cool [arguably non] innovations' actually bring some benefits, speaking for myself I won't get excited & will remain neutral, albeit reasonably well-disposed. If it turns out they do: great.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 20th May 2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 20th May 2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
There's an ongoing thread on PETT. Measurements posted soon, if not already- so will know if peak causes any 3rd harmonic issues
I wouldn't bet against it. You can see it in the metal dome Seas, Audax, Scan, SB &c. units, so I doubt it will be AWOL here.

Whoa, cool new tweeter from Peerless!!Hide this!Advertise here!