Tannoy VX12 Box designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I have recently aquired these speakers at a price I simply could not turn down (£150 for the pair!). Now, I knew beforehand that they were really designed to be used with some sort of low frequency reinforcement, and I am hoping to acheive this by building new enclosures for them.

I have previously build enclosures before, not least the awesome Sachiko back loaded horn for the Fostex206E. So, my question would be does anyone one have any suggestions and / or experience that they would like to share? I will be contacting Tannoy in an attempt to get the Thiel-Small parameters in due course. In the meantime, the mids and highs of this driver are simply awesome and I am very happy with them.

Many thanks, Steve (aquapiranha)

Attachments

• tannoy-vxp12-1_2.jpg
    tannoy-vxp12-1_2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 309
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 304
Hi Dave, and thanks for the reply! I have spoken to you before but it was a long time ago! I am looking for something to add a bit of weight at the bottom end as currently the cabinet is restricting the lower registers. The treble and mid are amazing though! I have requested the TS details from Tannoy but i am not holding my breath. I was hoping for a narrow, taller design so I do not need to use stands, and less visual impact too.

The box i designed for the 12” gold was as large as i could make it using the measured T/S. It was probably tuned a bit high or wasd a bit small if it was based on factory specs. It certainly provided significant bass impact.

dave

Thanks Dave. I don't doubt the ability of these drivers given the right enclosure. I will have hope that Tannoy provide the details so that I can use them to get box type / dimensions, that is if course if I can understand whatever software one would use do so! 😂😁

You will never get low bass out of those but those are very nice drivers.

With that in mind I would put them into small(ish) sealed cabs and use dedicated woofers to run them 3way.

Hi and thanks for the reply. What makes you think I wouldn't get any bass out of them in a different cabinet? Is there something about the drivers I am missing? Thanks, Steve

Hi and thanks for the reply. What makes you think I wouldn't get any bass out of them in a different cabinet? Is there something about the drivers I am missing? Thanks, Steve

It is one of Tannoys modern PA drivers and a fair bit more efficient than their classic 12s. To get that efficiency Fs will have been raised quite a bit higher than that of a 12" Monitor Gold, HPD or K3149.
Since it was never meant to be used without a bass except as vocal PA that is not a problem in its intended application.

I think the model number of your DC is either 3140 or 3142.

Well, not quite the response I was hoping for...(No pun intended)....

Dear Stephen,

This is relating to case number: 00748711

Unfortunately we are unable to offer much help in this instance as it is against company policy to divulge build information of any of our products past and present. We cannot provide schematic diagrams of crossovers, amp modules, and cabinet designs or T&S parameters of our drivers with any 3rd party that is not an approved FASC (Factory approved Service Centre)

While we understand that many Tannoy fans enjoy building their own loudspeakers as a hobby, or that some schematics may be required for repair, this has led to some trouble in the past which is why we have adopted this policy.

Kind Regards

Christopher Edwards

Your Technician, Care
Music Tribe

Tel: +44 (0)1562 732299

Email: careente@music-group.com

Web: MUSIC Tribe | Home

So, I will have to use a Monitor Gold design and hope that it can be tuned. Any ideas for enclosures? I like RLH designs but I am open to suggestions thanks,

Steve

It is one of Tannoys modern PA drivers and a fair bit more efficient than their classic 12s. To get that efficiency Fs will have been raised quite a bit higher than that of a 12" Monitor Gold, HPD or K3149.
Since it was never meant to be used without a bass except as vocal PA that is not a problem in its intended application.

I think the model number of your DC is either 3140 or 3142.

Hi and thanks again for the informative reply. I will get the model number this evening when I get home from work, cheers!

Steve

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
these are having highish Fs , really made for smaller cabs- stage monitors

no use of having full bass enclosure , you need bass helper with them

simplest Fs measurement will reveal is it 3142 or not

for full bass duty , magic (type) number is 3134 , used in TDM12 and CPA12

but , don't fret - you have awesome base for great spks there

just an idea - put them on OB and use whatever sort of bass helper you like most

example : Tannoy Brute Force OB ….. now Absolute WAF Tannoy OB | Zen Mod Blog

Attachments

• Tannoy_3142.pdf
    75 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
SNIP

I have previously build enclosures before, not least the awesome Sachiko back loaded horn for the Fostex206E.

SNIP

Many thanks, Steve (aquapiranha)

Nice acquisition!

As has been mentioned any high efficiency 12" woofer ( ie; above 92db ) will surely sport a high Fs, low Qts, and a very small Vas.

As such, there won't be a BR alignment that will produce bass of any consequence.

You are best off ( I believe ) acquiring the necessary Ts parameters and then seeing if a BLH can provide you with meaningful bass response ( assuming you don't want to use a real woofer below this driver ) .

:)

Nice acquisition!

As has been mentioned any high efficiency 12" woofer ( ie; above 92db ) will surely sport a high Fs, low Qts, and a very small Vas.

As such, there won't be a BR alignment that will produce bass of any consequence.

You are best off ( I believe ) acquiring the necessary Ts parameters and then seeing if a BLH can provide you with meaningful bass response ( assuming you don't want to use a real woofer below this driver ) .

:)

Thanks Earl. If I could I would build a BLH as a preference. There is bass, just not the required rib cage shattering variety! 😁

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.