Tannoy VX12 Box designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These two could be of interest to you:

Overview

Overview

They cost about £150ea and neither reach the advertised sensitivity in the range you're interested in. The 305 misses by a dB or 2, the 330 by 5 or 6 but they give you better extension and plenty of Xmax.

The curves are misleading too because for some reason BMS insist on measuring them in totally unsuited cabs.

These two could be of interest to you:

Overview

Overview

They cost about £150ea and neither reach the advertised sensitivity in the range you're interested in. The 305 misses by a dB or 2, the 330 by 5 or 6 but they give you better extension and plenty of Xmax.

The curves are misleading too because for some reason BMS insist on measuring them in totally unsuited cabs.
12 inch too, so easily put both in the front. If I built a cabinet let's say for these and the Tannoy, how would the volume be separated if it needed to be? I assume software could do the calculations? I was looking at the hyped units, again not cheap but they look very flexible and I am sure rheybwould be fantastic in such an implementation.

Steve

If your bank manager insists on one per side I'd pick the 305 out of the two and if you can stretch to 2 per side the 330.

The Tannoy needs about 30L sealed to himself give or take.
Once you worked out what volume your woofer needs you will have to add the space taken up by the Tannoy and its compartment. You will also have to add any other space taken up like the woofer itself and the port.

If your bank manager insists on one per side I'd pick the 305 out of the two and if you can stretch to 2 per side the 330.

The Tannoy needs about 30L sealed to himself give or take.
Once you worked out what volume your woofer needs you will have to add the space taken up by the Tannoy and its compartment. You will also have to add any other space taken up like the woofer itself and the port.
Cheers. I will need to have a good think as to which way I want to go. Of course all this means I will need also preamp!

Steve

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… I am thinking another 12 each side would suffice, possible a 15 at a push. Also due to positioning the cabinets would need to be narrow in the front profile...

Or 2 x 10 or 2 x 12” mounted push-push on the cabinet sides? And build the bass cabinet separate from the midTweeter cabinet… they can have the same footprint so that it looks like 1 larger cabinet — your back will thank you too:

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

dave

Hi guys,
I have the Tannoy 3142 DC in ported boxes and also want to ad bass drivers to it to extend the low end to 30-40Hz( one or two pro audio 12”) I have built sealed enclosures for the tannoys( 35L like Charles suggested) and ported 70 L for the bass driver; to make one big box with this two drivers in separate enclosures I need something like miniDsp( that I have) to set the crossover, right?
Is anything else like phase or delays where I pay attention for? can anyone tell me please what is the right way to do that?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.