Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Tannoy VX12 Box designs
Tannoy VX12 Box designs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 11:44 PM   #11
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

IIRC, the older concentrics were low Q drivers, & best suited to an EBS alignment if you wanted low bass....
Old 16th May 2018, 12:37 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Tannoy VX12 Box designs
Measured results that i used for the Tannoy 12DC Gold box.

Tannoy VX12 Box designs-tannoy-12dc-gold-tsp-png

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Tannoy-12dc-gold-TSP.png (10.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 16th May 2018, 07:20 AM   #13
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
Hi and thanks for the reply. What makes you think I wouldn't get any bass out of them in a different cabinet? Is there something about the drivers I am missing? Thanks, Steve
It is one of Tannoys modern PA drivers and a fair bit more efficient than their classic 12s. To get that efficiency Fs will have been raised quite a bit higher than that of a 12" Monitor Gold, HPD or K3149.
Since it was never meant to be used without a bass except as vocal PA that is not a problem in its intended application.

I think the model number of your DC is either 3140 or 3142.
Old 16th May 2018, 08:11 AM   #14
aquapiranha is offline aquapiranha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, not quite the response I was hoping for...(No pun intended)....

Dear Stephen,

This is relating to case number: 00748711

Unfortunately we are unable to offer much help in this instance as it is against company policy to divulge build information of any of our products past and present. We cannot provide schematic diagrams of crossovers, amp modules, and cabinet designs or T&S parameters of our drivers with any 3rd party that is not an approved FASC (Factory approved Service Centre)

While we understand that many Tannoy fans enjoy building their own loudspeakers as a hobby, or that some schematics may be required for repair, this has led to some trouble in the past which is why we have adopted this policy.

Kind Regards

Christopher Edwards

Your Technician, Care
Music Tribe

Tel: +44 (0)1562 732299

Email: careente@music-group.com

Web: MUSIC Tribe | Home

So, I will have to use a Monitor Gold design and hope that it can be tuned. Any ideas for enclosures? I like RLH designs but I am open to suggestions thanks,

Steve
Old 16th May 2018, 08:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
It is one of Tannoys modern PA drivers and a fair bit more efficient than their classic 12s. To get that efficiency Fs will have been raised quite a bit higher than that of a 12" Monitor Gold, HPD or K3149.
Since it was never meant to be used without a bass except as vocal PA that is not a problem in its intended application.

I think the model number of your DC is either 3140 or 3142.
Hi and thanks again for the informative reply. I will get the model number this evening when I get home from work, cheers!

Steve
Old 16th May 2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Tannoy VX12 Box designs
these are having highish Fs , really made for smaller cabs- stage monitors

no use of having full bass enclosure , you need bass helper with them

simplest Fs measurement will reveal is it 3142 or not

for full bass duty , magic (type) number is 3134 , used in TDM12 and CPA12

but , don't fret - you have awesome base for great spks there

just an idea - put them on OB and use whatever sort of bass helper you like most

example : Tannoy Brute Force OB ….. now Absolute WAF Tannoy OB | Zen Mod Blog
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tannoy_3142.pdf (75.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Zen Mod; 16th May 2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:10 AM   #17
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi and thanks again for the informative reply. I will get the model number this evening when I get home from work, cheers!

Steve
Try asking Lockwood Audio, they might know and in my experience they are more helpful than Tannoy.

Lockwood Audio
Old 16th May 2018, 11:40 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charles I will contact them later, and thanks all for the replies so far. I will post up the model number this evening assuming it is on the driver
Old 16th May 2018, 12:34 PM   #19
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SNIP

I have previously build enclosures before, not least the awesome Sachiko back loaded horn for the Fostex206E.

SNIP

Many thanks, Steve (aquapiranha)

Nice acquisition!

As has been mentioned any high efficiency 12" woofer ( ie; above 92db ) will surely sport a high Fs, low Qts, and a very small Vas.

As such, there won't be a BR alignment that will produce bass of any consequence.

You are best off ( I believe ) acquiring the necessary Ts parameters and then seeing if a BLH can provide you with meaningful bass response ( assuming you don't want to use a real woofer below this driver ) .

Old 16th May 2018, 12:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlK View Post
Nice acquisition!

As has been mentioned any high efficiency 12" woofer ( ie; above 92db ) will surely sport a high Fs, low Qts, and a very small Vas.

As such, there won't be a BR alignment that will produce bass of any consequence.

You are best off ( I believe ) acquiring the necessary Ts parameters and then seeing if a BLH can provide you with meaningful bass response ( assuming you don't want to use a real woofer below this driver ) .

Thanks Earl. If I could I would build a BLH as a preference. There is bass, just not the required rib cage shattering variety! 😁

Tannoy VX12 Box designsHide this!Advertise here!