Altec Lansing 15. Tip before buying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to own a pair of these - some 12 years ago - that I picked up at a garage sale. The horn drivers - 802-8Gs - had blown voice coils so they needed replacement. To my ears they weren't the best speakers, sort of grainy and unfocused. They use a 12" RCA-made woofer, which is odd. And the plastic horn - based on the WE 32B? - is bent at 90 degrees.

I wrote this review back then: Speaker Asylum: REVIEW: Altec Lansing Model 15 Speakers by kstagger

They didn't last long in my stereo; once I got a pair of UREI 813As, the Model 15s were quickly sold.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah, the model 15. I've can't remember ever hearing them, so can't comment. I know some people like that funny curved horn. Depending on where you are, they should retain their value, so that if you don't like them, you'll lose little to no money by selling them on. It's a good way to hear some vintage audio.

woofers...but also tweeters ! :p

On a possible, I was thinking of the availability nowadays of high efficient dome tweeters ( 95 dB and over ) yes, they're quite pricey, the "audiophile" ones
---a new european brand which I don't remember :eek:---

Maybe you are talking of...?
:ghost:

Not to mention the ubiquitous TH-150 or...what is it ?:mummy:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.