Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New SB Satori coax
New SB Satori coax
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 04:31 AM   #11
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
This reminds me I forgot to type my main point: that the baffle won't matter anymore with a "waveguide" tweeter like in this coax. That is the big advantage IMHO.

Would be nice to see something in SB's 16cm size though.
An MR13P coax would only require a 3.5kHz xover for a decent directivity match with its coaxial tweeter. This is something even small 19mm domes can do, so hopefully it could have decent sensitivity.

An MR16P coax could work with a 2.5-2.8kHz xover frequency, still within the realm of a good 19mm dome.

If SB could fit their 22mm dimple dome onto a small neo motor and whack it into the voice coil of those two they'd be onto a winner. Hopefully with better sensitivity too.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:43 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
-that's sounds (looks) about right. But that's 4 ohms.

Depressing (litterally) IMO.
Indeed Scott, it is depressing

Although to be fair it's in line with most other speakers of its size, you cannot get something for nothing. I mean that would be a full bafflestep 88dB 4 ohm speaker, or 85dB 8 ohm. Built as a 2 way that's in line with, and actually better than, a lot of other 6-7" + 1" two ways.

A full BSC design with SBs Satori MW19P would = 83dB, with a SEAS Excel magnesium cone 80-82dB, Scanspeaks top drivers 79-83dB.

Doesn't look so bad when you compare it to those. Of course they'll probably give you more bass but stick the coax in a small sealed box and use it along side a decent small sub...I'd take that vs any standard 6-7" + standard 1" dome. If SB have done their job right the woofer on the coax will have stellar HD performance and by the looks of things the flat, corrugated surround, actually helps with the usual surround resonance issue present in all the other Satori drivers.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This reminds me I forgot to type my main point: that the baffle won't matter anymore with a "waveguide" tweeter like in this coax. That is the big advantage IMHO.
Exactly, this is often overlooked when considering waveguides, the help they provide with giving freedom from cabinet edge diffraction.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:36 AM   #14
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

New SB Satori coax
I think a coaxial version of their MR (midrange) line would be better off.
Old 15th May 2018, 06:42 AM   #15
Mario Pankov is offline Mario Pankov  Europe
diyAudio Member

New SB Satori coax
Quote:
that the baffle won't matter anymore with a "waveguide" tweeter like in this coax..
I believed that too and a wg does reduce diffraction but it doesn`t eliminate it, well, at least the shallow types. I recently build a medium sized 2-way using Monacor drivers and with a xover point of 2Khz LR2 and an insignificant roundover of 1/2", there was a good 3db bump at 1.2Khz caused by the tweeter. I bought some more of these waveguides (it sounds really nice) and will carry on experiments very soon as to what extent it does affect edge diffraction. Perhaps if its more narrow, it will eliminate it but then it will offset the tweeter too much in the z-axis. I`ll try to carry on some experiemtns on edge rounding too as there`s still a debate if smaller radiuses do provide any audible benefits (yesterday got a massive 7/8" Freud roundover bit which costed an arm and a leg...).
Old 15th May 2018, 12:48 PM   #16
TMM is offline TMM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to TMM
Quote:
OTOH, a typical tweeter on a typical baffle will have well more than 3dB dip somewhere between 2-4khz.
A bit of variation around 2-4kHz is often easy to fix though as you can just alter the Q of the highpass filter to suit. A dip at 7kHz is somewhat more difficult to fix. The most logical thing to do is bring down everything below 7kHz with a low Q filter but that really trashes the sensitivity.

FWIW: On a 9" wide baffle, with careful placement of a 1" dome tweeter you can achieve about +2-3dB at around 1kHz and virtually flat (+/-1dB max) above that. A good rule of thumb is golden ratios between the distance from the centre of the tweeter to the left, right and top edges of the baffle i.e. 1:1.618:1.618^2. Zaph's ZD5 shows this with it's offset tweeter placement:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5-measure...P-rawinbox.gif

Last edited by TMM; 15th May 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:05 PM   #17
augerpro is offline augerpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
A bit of variation around 2-4kHz is often easy to fix though as you can just alter the Q of the highpass filter to suit. A dip at 7kHz is somewhat more difficult to fix. The most logical thing to do is bring down everything below 7kHz with a low Q filter but that really trashes the sensitivity.
If you imagine that whatever the diffraction signature of a baffle is on-axis, it will become the inverse (nearly) as you move off axis. So you can see that if you use the filter Q to make that on-axis dip flat, you will have produced a very large bump off axis, because the diffraction character is already causing a bump rrelative to the on-axis response. This can happen pretty rapidly, by 20 degrees, so that the entire "first reflections" have a pronounced woofer dip/ tweeter hump.

So from my POV the question then becomes, if you are going to have a power response anomaly either way, where is more acceptable? My personal preference would be to have a smooth 2-4khz area over a smooth 7-10khz. YMMV.

And in this case adding to that a concentric, time aligned, point source, this will definitely do a lot of important things very right.

Offsetting can work well as you mention, I just don't care for asymmetric radiation in principle, so I try to avoid. Besides it is critical to measure and model off axis when you do this, and almost no one does.

Last edited by augerpro; 15th May 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 16th June 2018, 02:25 PM   #18
sfdoddsy is offline sfdoddsy  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I currently use (and love) the Seas C18 coax in an open baffle and this piques my interest for a second system.

Any idea when it comes out and price?
Old 17th May 2019, 09:02 AM   #19
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

Did this ever make it to production?

New SB Satori coaxHide this!Advertise here!