Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Goodmans maxim, BBC found alternative replacement, what is it....
Goodmans maxim, BBC found alternative replacement, what is it....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2018, 12:40 PM   #1
hbc is offline hbc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Goodmans maxim woofer, BBC found alternative replacement, what is it....

This pair of ex BBC maxims were for sale on eBay recently. I noticed that one of the woofers had been replaced. The BBC, must have confirmed by measurements it's suitability as a replacement, it must be quite a similar driver.

So does anyone know what it is. I have some Double maxims I am rebuilding and on the look out for (obtanium) woofers........

or any other similar ones that may work for that matter?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxim2.jpg (212.4 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg maxim1.jpg (128.4 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by hbc; 15th May 2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 14th May 2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's likely to have been another Goodmans driver from the period. There were a couple of variations made. You may have to remove it from the baffle to see if there is any label on the back.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, I don't recognise it as a Goodmans, not that I know everything. I think the original maxim woofer is a development of the old midrange used in the magnum for example, at least I am pretty sure it uses the same cone, "just" with a long travel magnet and suspension coil. I think the dimension 8 mid range is another variant. the Goodmans has a flared cone, where as this one is straight sided. Looks more like a Philips or Celestion to me.
Old 16th May 2018, 07:57 AM   #4
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

The one on the RHS has a Bextrene cone (KEF, Celestion etc). The one on the left looks like a paper cone. Quite different characteristics.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To me the one on the right looks like a doped paper cone. Its that big roll surround that I like most though.....
Old 8th June 2018, 06:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

mystery solved... it is a later version. More unobtainium.
I am going to graft some dimension 8 woofers in to my very tatty double maxim boxes, they are a little bigger with a steel basket and probably the wrong impedance, but seem a close family member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double maxima.jpg (158.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg goo2.jpg (51.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg goodmans dm1s-l1600 (1).jpg (128.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg doodmans dm2s-l1600 (1).jpg (106.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 8th June 2018, 08:00 AM   #7
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The BBC report on the Goodmans Maxim is still available:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1965-09.pdf

2kHz 2nd order crossover to cone tweeter. 4.5" paper bass with rubber roll surround, we'd guess. 5L closed box.

Wonder if these Peerless 830870 polycones would fit? They look suitable for closed box. You might investigate the crossover, and whether the basses are series or parallel wired, which affects impedance greatly.
https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dr...hds-range.html

The tweeter in yours looks like that ancient Philips AD0160 mylar unit that Troels Gravesen evaluated, so the crossover must be nearer 3kHz: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/WWDT.htm

The more modern take on this sort of thing, which might be more satisfying is this: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/VifaPL14WJ-R2604.htm

Last edited by system7; 8th June 2018 at 08:03 AM.

Goodmans maxim, BBC found alternative replacement, what is it....Hide this!Advertise here!