Looking for DIY Studio Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But how would you mix music with a Focal Scala Utopia? (Except as a "second ear" to verify if your mix sounds good after you did your work with a near-field.)

I mean no offense: you probably knew this already. But the point of a studio speaker is not to sound great, it is to "translate". If you mix with high-end home speakers I am afraid your mix will sound great only on high-end home speakers.

If you have already got near-fields and you are just building a set of "second ears" please disregard me - I didn't mean to question your question.

Last edited:
I listened to ATC scm 150 asl pro, PMC MB2S-P,
The level really has to be very high, my room is treated by an acoustician and build by me. So there will not be a problem! :)

then you should definitely look into ATC SCM100 clones K100 Monitor

or PMC MB2 clones WA TL12

both models are a great mixture of nearflield skills for listening but still like big boys to listen too. you don't need two pairs of speakers.. just one good pair

you can activate either using new Hypex Fusion plate amps. if you do everything from scratch it will be a lot of work and you'll need lots of knowledge. alone chosing drivers must be done carefully to fot them together when it comes to phase response and radiation.

Last edited:
You think One Bass Unit, one mid and one tweeter. then add an extra sub? What would be the advantage?

Correction: two woofers with 25 cm, two midrange units and one tweeter.
two 30 cm subs: powerful and precise bass and precise reproduction of mid and high range.

And it is impossible to have a homogenous transistion range between a 15 cm midrange and a 30 cm woofer. Does not sound good.

Last edited:
As much as I like that Evolution speaker, I can't help feel it would be better as a 4-way, something a little more like these by Rockport: Arrakis 01 | Rockport Technologies

If you don't have the xo design experience and can't find a previous build that suits you, and if you can build it and take accurate measurements, there any number of qualified people around here that can do the passive xo design work for you. That's actually not that hard.

But have a look at some of Troels' bigger designs - DIY-Loudspeakers. The WMTMW (or WWMTMWW) has some nice advantages but there's no reason a straight up TMWW (or more) done right wouldn't be fantastic as well.

As much as I like that Evolution speaker, I can't help feel it would be better as a 4-way, something a little more like these by Rockport: Arrakis 01 | Rockport Technologies

If you don't have the xo design experience and can't find a previous build that suits you, and if you can build it and take accurate measurements, there any number of qualified people around here that can do the passive xo design work for you. That's actually not that hard.

But have a look at some of Troels' bigger designs - DIY-Loudspeakers. The WMTMW (or WWMTMWW) has some nice advantages but there's no reason a straight up TMWW (or more) done right wouldn't be fantastic as well.

Wuuuhhaaa, that rockport is very big and looks delicious! ;) I have a some software and a measuring microphone,
that will help me to correct a little bit if necessary.

I have seen the Toels speaker before and there are great designs I think, it doesnt have to be as big as possible, my room is 20 m², so there is restriction with some too big speakers I think.

Which people could do it for me like you said?

But how would you mix music with a Focal Scala Utopia? (Except as a "second ear" to verify if your mix sounds good after you did your work with a near-field.)

I mean no offense: you probably knew this already. But the point of a studio speaker is not to sound great, it is to "translate". If you mix with high-end home speakers I am afraid your mix will sound great only on high-end home speakers.

If you have already got near-fields and you are just building a set of "second ears" please disregard me - I didn't mean to question your question.

You don't have to mix on nearfield monitors. Sitting close to the speakers has its own set of compromises, including always being off-axis with at least one of the drive units.

You should mix on the best speakers possible. The ones that clearly show you what's happening 30dB down from everything else, where you can really listen into the mix. The OP wants to make those speakers. Listening distance doesn't matter too much so long as the room is reasonably neutral.

Chris

You don't have to mix on nearfield monitors. Sitting close to the speakers has its own set of compromises, including always being off-axis with at least one of the drive units.

You should mix on the best speakers possible. The ones that clearly show you what's happening 30dB down from everything else, where you can really listen into the mix. The OP wants to make those speakers. Listening distance doesn't matter too much so long as the room is reasonably neutral.

Chris

You are so right! :)
What do you think is the best speaker for you?

You are so right! :)
What do you think is the best speaker for you?

Interesting question.

For a while I used the Behringer B3030A monitors, which are okay but they lack some resolution - while they get all the big stuff right, the subtle details are sometimes missed. Double/triple-tracked vocals etc.

I mostly do live sound, and I like my main PA speakers for mixing on - 18Sound ND1460, 2x Faital Pro 10FH520, up to 4x Faital Pro 15HP1060. Tri-amped, lots of power.

For home use, my small PA speakers (Das M3 and 18Sound 6ND430) are rather good - they get down into the details well, but it was a lot of work with the cabinet and crossover. I also use them live for singer & guitar type acts, and you can add subwoofers to make a surprising amount of noise.

I've played with full-range speakers and other things, but I haven't found the "best" speaker yet.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.