Thinking about Audio Nirvana Super 10/12 Ferrite in Open Baffle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking good !

... I have been quite a fan of the large AN Super ferrite

Thanks!

They're just a quick and easy baffle with a 9" wing on one side, nothing special at all. I'm not even sure if the wing is supposed to be on the outside or inside. LOL

I do have a couple of first impressions...

1) The treble on these Super 12 Ferrite drivers are pretty darn impressive! I wasn't expecting this kind of treble extension from a 12" driver. Equally impressive is the quality with vocals. With an inherited rising response and being brand spanking new, I was expecting a rather harsh, edgy, cupped sound, but there isn't. Granted, there's a little bit of a bite to the midrange, but nothing like I was anticipating.

2) Bass output and extension of the single Acoustinator N2012 driver is extremely impressive! Very solid, usable output down to 35 Hz all on their own. After that, it drops off rather rapidly. The only thing is they are boosted by 11 dB just to match up with the AN's. Other than that, no EQ or anything else added.

I can only imagine what four of those drivers per side are going to sound like. I'm sure once they are all in H-frames and with possibly a touch of EQ, I'll easily get these things down to 20 Hz.

Finally able to sit and relax for once in over a month, and just listen to some music. And it's really the first to sit and listen to these new OB speakers. They have been breaking in almost non-stop since Wednesday evening, but only at moderate to whisper volumes. Today however, I have been ripping them some, and these Audio Nirvana drivers have been smoothing out a little in the upper midrange and opening up. They have a total of about 60 hours on them so far which means about another 240 hours to go.

As the AN drivers have been "loosening" up a bit, I have had to tweak the crossover settings on the bass drivers a little. They are now boosted to +13 dB and crossed over at 200 Hz @ 36 dB.

Crystal clear, extremely dynamic (something I have missed for years now), incredibly crisp and fast, pin-point imaging, vocals and certain instruments locked down dead center where they should be, with no drift between the speakers, a large, wide and deep sound stage. And the bass...

This isn't even close to what I'm eventually going to have running, and I'm already amazed at the bass performance. The AN drives aren't contributing much below 150 Hz or so on these baffles, but they sure as heck make up for it in everything else they're doing. But the amazing about the bass is that it's just a single Eminence Acoustinator N2012 driver mounted at the bottom of the baffle, which in itself is a somewhat small baffle. These drivers are digging deep into the 30's with ease. The bass is effortless, stress free, very tight, agile, dynamic, detailed and tactile! I can't believe that in the end, there's going to be a total of FOUR of these bass drivers per channel! One of my brothers thought I had turned the JL subs back on... That is until he noticed later that the subs aren't even in the room anymore, much less connected to the system and running!

I must admit, this has to be one of the easiest and best loudspeaker projects I have done yet. And it's only going to get better from here!

p2878496867-5.jpg

Nice !

Maybe skip using 4 bass drivers and stick with 1, use the others for some surround subs.

Thanks!

And noooo... That would require a lot of time alignment and phase adjustment. The dbx doesn't have enough outputs for that nor do I have enough amplifier channels for it.

I'm actually thinking about forgoing the H-frames and doing something similar to the P.A.P. design. Not only does it look good, but it also saves a LOT of space in this tiny room.

I went to Lone Star Audio Fest early May and there was an open baffle setup with two 15 inch GRS woofers, a midrange, and the tweeter on each side. The width of the baffles was 45 centimeters. Side wings were implemented so that the minimum distance between the woofers' front and back was around 53 cm (21 inches). The exhibitor was John Busch.

I can testify there was PLENTY of bass.

Delays, delays. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...

Go to Lowe's grab the plywood, go to get it cut down, their saw is out of service.

Go to the other end of town to Home Depot. They had nothing but junk plywood.

Go to the next town over to another Lowe's. They have the wood but we would have to dig down about a foot to get to good, undamaged sheets. Before doing that, go make sure the saw works and find a note on it to warn customers that the saw is out of square and is off an 1/8" for every 12"... What the heck?! We asked one of the schmucks there and as usual, they had no clue what they were talking about, so we walked out.

So 3 hours and 50 miles wasted. Well, almost... My brother told us about a nice little restaurant down the street that has really good deep fried chicken gizzards, livers and fish. So we all went there and I treated them to lunch. Plus I let one of my brothers drive my car so I could take some pics and video of it going down the road.

Anyway, now it will be another two weeks at least until I can attempt to build these again.

finally someone is giving the Super 12's their due, I have an ad hoc set up of the super 12's in open baffle with twin Goldwood 18" doing bass duties cover at 70 Hz. I know they aren't perfect but at less than crescendo levels they are very real sounding Fairfield Four sound terrific, complex symphonic less so

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.