Completed project: "Fenrir"

Moving the mic up and down determines acoustics center where the drivers are closest in phase with each other. If Wolf used LR4 or something similar the drivers phase should be track each other to sum close to flat on axis at crossover point. If one of drivers is reversed it would create a deep null. However, I use it so I adjust delay in the x-o simulations.
When you take measurements of individual drivers (frd and zma) and put them into something like XSim which has minimum phase extraction capability and ability to change the delay you can simulate the crossover, so it will be mirror of what you measure with current x-o. You can modify the x-o by reducing the dips created by bigger baffle or sharp edges. Since I don't have the driver files I can't model anything but, say you want to add a bit of a boost in 3k, you might lower value 0.82 Ohm resistor in series with coil in tweeters filter, or change the capacitors values. However it will change also the phase. Basically you play with the components until you're happy with the sound or measurements, hopefully both of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_210536796.jpg
    IMG_20191006_210536796.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20191006_210521945.jpg
    IMG_20191006_210521945.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Maybe, yes. There isn't necessarily a problem with a peak a little off-axis vertical. Sometimes it is preferred.

That's why I wrote potentially. In my room it would be problematic. But if there is a measured flat response at 30 degrees off axis in room, why bother with it? In my opinion it's not detectable. But hey, everyone have their own spices to enjoy:)

Last edited:
The SQ is really easy on the ears and non-fatiguing. Enough detail to not sound dull, and bass extension and tonal ability is quite exceptional.

If you would like me to compare to other kits, please ask which ones.

The woofers are REALLY worth the price, and likely should cost twice what they do. Basically you get a motor/frame similar to that of Wavecor, and a proprietary cone formula only from Rival.

The Wavecor tweeter goes lower for a 22mm than it has a right to with a low Fs, and a reasonably smooth response. It has low HD as used in this design.

If you made the cabinets no more than 1.5" narrower, this should not affect BSC that much, and the cabinet can be made deeper this way with the same volume specification. If that is your choice, one port can be used as the depth will be more accommodating, BUT- It will need to be of larger diameter than the ports I used. I used 2 due to the angling needed in the shallow cabinet, and the port mach air velocity speed reduction. It would be a minimum of 2" diameter (2.25"+ recommended) to combine the 2 ports into one, and that with an elbow would not fit in my cabinets. Remember that the larger diameter port will also be longer than they are in the box as I designed it.

Let me know if you have any more questions,
Wolf
I came across this thread researching their drivers.
It seems they are out of business maybe unfortunately.
they say they can sell items at this time dut=ring checkout and don't reply to email inquiries.
Its sad because I was very intrigued.

Not sure what is going on with RAD, but since the new owner took the reigns, prices have risen and access or admission has been drastically hampered. Not sure they arent completely inaccessible/unavailable but limited for sure.

Yes, they were great drivers, and Rival still builds them, but not certain a distributor is present.

Reactions: 1 users
New ownership, too bad. I tried to purchase some SB tweeters and Rival woofers but nobody responded. Before I purchased the big kit capacitors and resistors kit from Rhythm and Design - good value. Oh well. Maybe there's a way to purchase Rival drivers directly.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what is going on with RAD, but since the new owner took the reigns, prices have risen and access or admission has been drastically hampered. Not sure they arent completely inaccessible/unavailable but limited for sure.

Yes, they were great drivers, and Rival still builds them, but not certain a distributor is present.
Thanks for the reply!
Maybe a Canada only thing right now as far as sales...
At least I think they are in Canada?