Completed project: "Fenrir"

Dude, unless you are an experienced crossover designer, just build Wolf's Fenrir design. Very hard to do better.
If you want to design your own, the PE RST28 should work great, or you could use one of the SB tweeters
Hope this helps

Thanks for your input. The Fenrir would be for my brother in law.
I've diy'ed a few myself that are not shabby and I enjoy the process. I''m certainly not at the level of Wolf Teeth, but I have fun and usually end up with something that is listenable. I guess you have used the RST28? If so, what's your take on them?

Thanks

How do those wavecors measure up against the small format Seas tweets in terms of sound?

While I've not used any Seas teeters myself, I've heard quite a few. In terms of extension, I think the Wavecor has the Seas licked. Not every 22mm tweeter has a 750Hz Fs. Elsewise, compared to say the 22TAF/G, I think both are great 22mm examples.

Tony- see attached...

Later,
Wolf

Attachments

• FenrirStep.jpg
    FenrirStep.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 503
Thanks for your input. The Fenrir would be for my brother in law.
I've diy'ed a few myself that are not shabby and I enjoy the process. I''m certainly not at the level of Wolf Teeth, but I have fun and usually end up with something that is listenable. I guess you have used the RST28? If so, what's your take on them?

Thanks

I know of no actual designs with the RST28 series. They are just too new to have something completed yet.

Later,
Wolf

Question for Wolf

Wolf - I am in the process of building a pair of Fenrir speakers and have a question for you.

I am trying to reuse an old AR15 cabinet that is 18 liters (or 19 liters). The overall outside cabinet dimensions are as follows:

21.5" H x 11.75" W x 8" D

I used the attached recommendations from Rival Acoustics to space the drivers on the baffle.

Questions - Do you see any issues I may encounter with my implementation versus your design? Also my inductors are a bit further separated from the ones you posted in your build and I wonder what effects my layout might result in versus yours.

I plan on adding some additional bracing in the cabinet as well.

Thanks,

gabkw

Attachments

• AR15 cabinet 2.jpg
    AR15 cabinet 2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 478
  • AR15 cabinet.jpg
    AR15 cabinet.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 485
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 478
Your layout should be fine as long as it's wired correctly. The only reason I did mine as I did was to get them to fit in amidst the braces. I see you have the 0.1mH and 4.7uF quite a ways away from the woofer, and yet they go across the woofer, so I'm just making sure they are in the right place.

Since you superimposed the baffle atop the box just as I did, you'll likely end up pretty close.

You are venting it, correct?

Your layout should be fine as long as it's wired correctly. The only reason I did mine as I did was to get them to fit in amidst the braces. I see you have the 0.1mH and 4.7uF quite a ways away from the woofer, and yet they go across the woofer, so I'm just making sure they are in the right place.

Since you superimposed the baffle atop the box just as I did, you'll likely end up pretty close.

You are venting it, correct?

I was planning on locating the woofer terminals right next to the tweeter (i.e., on the top of the woofer if you will) so that they are fairly close to the the 0.1mH and 4.7uF below. In looking at it again, I actually have the space available to push the 0.1mH even closer to the 4.7uF and therefore almost directly under the woofer terminals.

Yes planning on venting it as per your design (~ 8" over all length).

Thanks for commenting Wolf. Its good to know I haven't gone off too far adrift that crossover changes would be required.

gabkw

Cabinet volume

Wolf - another question regarding your cabinet volume of 18 liters or 0.636 cu'

Is that the final resulting internal volume that includes all your bracing, vents, crossover volume, and driver volumes?

OR

is it the internal box dimensions you started with before adding the vents, drivers, crossover, and bracing?

I just measured and my AR15 internal volume is exactly 18 liters, so I am trying to ascertain how much additional bracing I can add before the box becomes "too small". It really needs some and I'm willing to add it if the only degradation might be a few dB on the low end. Your thoughts?

gabkw

I received my Rival woofers today and I’m almost lost for words. When I removed them from the package my jaw hit the floor. These are far more woofer than I was expecting.
I managed to get in on their promotion and I’m glad I did. I’ll take some pictures later. I’m running them in now and will do that for a day or so.
I said thanks before but thanks again Wolf for pointing these out. SCORE!

RAD closing

I just got this email from RAD:

I would like to inform you that Rhythm Audio Design will be closing on June 30, 2018.
Unfortunately, RAD will not be placing anymore orders with our suppliers. We will accept orders until June 30, 2018, 5 pm EST.
We want to thank all for your support, it has truly been a pleasure. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns or if there is anything at all that we can do to help you.

Sincerely,
RAD team

using the Rival Acoustics R176-P-08 carbon-paper woofers

I've had a pair of these woofers for awhile now. Completely different application, middle range of an OB. I have a setup where I can swap in other similar sized units I have. 18sound 6ND430, Peerless Exclusive, Peerless HDS poly. I prefer the Rivals, very smooth, easy to listen to.

Haven't tried the others in months now. The build quality and magnetic circuit design are comparable to much more expensive speakers.