Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kairos alternatives?
Kairos alternatives?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2018, 02:59 PM   #11
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
(..between all of the above though, I'd still go with the Elsinor UNLESS I had on or more subwoofers to use with the speakers.. and even then there are substantive reasons to choose the Elsinore.)
If I wanted floorstanders and wasn't Into designing my own, they'd probably be my top choice too.
Old 29th April 2018, 03:33 PM   #12
paulys55 is offline paulys55  United States
diyAudio Member

The Elsinores are great but also look to be about 3x the price of the Kairos. I do have a sub and will probably use it for some music or if I want to play loud but would like these speakers to be able to stand on their own for most music.
Old 29th April 2018, 08:00 PM   #13
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys55 View Post
The Elsinores are great but also look to be about 3x the price of the Kairos. I do have a sub and will probably use it for some music or if I want to play loud but would like these speakers to be able to stand on their own for most music.
..you'd be purchasing 8 of those SB drivers and you should expect a discount - like free shipping.

So $464 for the SB drivers and $152 for the tweeters. (..I'm assuming Madisound here.)

+ waveguides.

+ crossover parts (..the large iron-core inductors will cost about $80 for the pair, I'd also look to nicer 1.8uf cap for the tweeters, though the same is true for the Kairos upgrade IMO).
ERSE Super Q 20mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor Crossover Coil
Audyn True Copper Cap 1.8uF 630V Copper Foil Capacitor

vs. $764 parts-upgrade for the Kairos. (..which doesn't have the same sort of impedance flattening filter (expensive inductor) that the Elsinore has.)

Yeah, the Elsinore is more expensive.. +/-30% more, but almost certainly worth it.

Last edited by ScottG; 29th April 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 29th April 2018, 09:54 PM   #14
paulys55 is offline paulys55  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post

Yeah, the Elsinore is more expensive.. +/-30% more, but almost certainly worth it.
I must have looked too quickly at the elsinore project page, thought it said the kit was $2700, will recheck that, thanks.
Old 29th April 2018, 10:28 PM   #15
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulys55 View Post
I must have looked too quickly at the elsinore project page, thought it said the kit was $2700, will recheck that, thanks.
That's their kit from Australia. ..in the US you wouldn't purchase that, just the waveguides from them and source your parts here in the US.

Note: even if you don't want to wire (crimp or solder) the components together for the crossover (aka assembled crossovers) , Madisound has that service for a relativly modest fee, though you'd have to order all the crossover parts from them.

Steel Laminate 20.0 mH 15 AWG Inductors

ClarityCap 0.10 mfd MR Range Polypropylene Caps
+
ClarityCap 0.82 mfd MR Range Polypropylene Caps

Last edited by ScottG; 29th April 2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:34 PM   #16
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

The Kairos probably sounds excellent but to me is let down by having such a low sensitivity from drivers that are technically capable of very decent sensitivity [say around 89db/watt].
A higher sensitivity version would appreciated.
Old 30th April 2018, 01:38 AM   #17
mordikai is offline mordikai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mordikai
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgofish View Post
The Kairos probably sounds excellent but to me is let down by having such a low sensitivity from drivers that are technically capable of very decent sensitivity [say around 89db/watt].
How do you calculate sensitivity? Are you forgetting bsc?
Old 30th April 2018, 03:57 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgofish View Post
Old 30th April 2018, 04:11 AM   #19
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordikai View Post
Most 2-way monitors have efficiency of around 82 - 83db in free space because of bsc. The Satori may have at most 85db in free space but that is a bit optimistic - probably most likely 84db. If you're willing to place your monitor right up against the wall then you may get and extra 3db due to room gain but that is probably not an ideal listening position.
Old 30th April 2018, 05:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
Most 2-way monitors have efficiency of around 82 - 83db in free space because of bsc. The Satori may have at most 85db in free space but that is a bit optimistic - probably most likely 84db. If you're willing to place your monitor right up against the wall then you may get and extra 3db due to room gain but that is probably not an ideal listening position.
yes, I understand. My question was to the person I quoted, whom seemed to think the sensitivity should be much higher.

Kairos alternatives?Hide this!Advertise here!