Diy kit vs Kef R500..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for "the last speakers I'll buy/make" for my (5x5m) kitchen.
I'd love to build a set myself, I have my mind set on the Monacor Diva Simone (with the high end filter option).

Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente

They'd cost me about 1200 euros in total to build, taking everything into account like woodwork, proper finishing etc.

But I'm also always browsing the local market place, and I see I can buy Kef R500 speakers for about 1150 euros.

I know "quality" is subjective, especially with speakers, but I'm really wondering what would give me the most bang for my buck.

I'd really enjoy building speakers again, but if the end result performs less than commercial speakers I could just buy, I wouldnt feel okay with that.

How do I know what would be the better option?
(I don't have the option of listening and comparing them - there's no place where I can listen to the kit speakers here...)

Last edited:
I will be following this thread. I have similar thoughts and maybe looking at the Holtz Statement mini which looks a similar design (2x8 + 4 + ribbon vented floor standers) and price point.

MiniStatements

Link to OP’s monacor’s for Reference Test Lautsprecherbausatze - Monacor DIVA Simone - Seite 1

I also like the Kef sound having regretted getting rid of a pair of Reference 104/2. So, looking for a similar performance - tight but extended bass, transparent mid and a smooth treble. Contrary to popular thought, listening to prog metal/djent/prog rock (my poison) needs a well controlled and responsive bass to keep up with the complex bass/drums but also need to give a bit of a kick. So three way floor standers with the dual woofer seems to be a good match with a ribbon tweeter to keep the top end sweet and not too bright.

So, any opinion of how the OP’s choice or the statement mini’s compared to the higher end Kef Reference or R models would be welcome.

Last edited:
You'll lose more money if you decide to sell the kit speakers. Safest option would be to buy secondhand. If you decide you don't like them, you can sell them for very little loss.

Most people who use hifi forums (not diy hifi) go through quite a few pairs of speakers before they find something that suits there room/electronics/ears. Depends how fussy you are at the end of the day.

As it often goes, I have changed my focus to a different diy kit by now.
I'm looking at the Samuel HQ speaker, which gets very good reviews on German forums.
I haven't been able to find anything about it on this site though.

Info and measurements here:
Bausatz Samuel HQ – Heissmann Acoustics

Its supposed to have a very flat response and very low bass - at least for the cost.

Review in German here:
Test Lautsprecherbausatze - Heissmann Acoustics Samuel HQ - Seite 1

Looks good to me, I'm just curious why nobody on this site has built it yet if it is as good as claimed on the German forums...

As it often goes, I have changed my focus to a different diy kit by now.

Several top diy-designers praise the Satori drivers for their high quality sound and construction.

If you favor the polar response from a well designed MTM topology study Martin King's free "Satori MTM Bass Reflex Speaker System" . This is a stand mount speaker, but you can extend the cabinet to floor standing and change the port to the larger volume for deeper bass.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project11/Satori_MTM_Bass_Reflex_Speaker_System.pdf

===========
Troels Gravesen also has a floor standing MTM using the Satori drivers you can study.

SBA-16-MTM

Several top diy-designers praise the Satori drivers for their high quality sound and construction.

If you favor the polar response from a well designed MTM topology study Martin King's free "Satori MTM Bass Reflex Speaker System" . This is a stand mount speaker, but you can extend the cabinet to floor standing and change the port to the larger volume for deeper bass.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project11/Satori_MTM_Bass_Reflex_Speaker_System.pdf

===========
Troels Gravesen also has a floor standing MTM using the Satori drivers you can study.

SBA-16-MTM

That looks really good, but $1412 is a bit outside of my price range - it's about 4 times the price of the Samuel Hq...

If you are looking for flat response and deep bass have a look at the Visaton B80 3way in the link below, kits available for around 400 euro per speaker. No idea if anyone has built them but the frequency response look nice and flat.

Hobby Hifi Visaton B80 - Speaker KIT without Cabinet Standard buy at hifisound.de

DIY kits with Visaton chassis

I modelled the TIW200XS, B 80 and G20SC in a 65l plus 5l vented floorstander using the visaton boxsim. Using an active crossover at 250hz and 3khz and simple 24db slopes it gave pretty much what the links above show, did not even have to add any gain to any of the drivers.

Last edited:
If you are looking for flat response and deep bass have a look at the Visaton B80 3way in the link below, kits available for around 400 euro per speaker. No idea if anyone has built them but the frequency response look nice and flat.

Hobby Hifi Visaton B80 - Speaker KIT without Cabinet Standard buy at hifisound.de

DIY kits with Visaton chassis

I modelled the TIW200XS, B 80 and G20SC in a 65l plus 5l vented floorstander using the visaton boxsim. Using an active crossover at 250hz and 3khz and simple 24db slopes it gave pretty much what the links above show, did not even have to add any gain to any of the drivers.

The HH Visaton B80 seems like a nice kit. I've never actually had the chance to listen to it personally...
I've spoken to someone who has and who had the chance to check out the Samuel HQ, he preferred the latter..

It's such a shame I'm not near any place where I can listen to these speaker kits myself!

Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers with SB29RDC-4 tweets ==== $806 from MadiSound.com

Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers with TW29R-4 tweets ==== $986 from MadiSound.com

The $52 SB29RDC-4 dome tweeter measures almost identical to the Satori $146 TW29R-4 and can be swapped. This saves $180/pair

Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers ==== $806
Four Satori MR16P = $600
Two SB29RDC-4 = $104
Two 13mH Sledgehammer inductors = $64
Two 18AWG 0.4mH inductors = $11.40
Two 20uF Dayton caps = $15
Six 10W resistors = $12

I have KEF R700. My friend has R500. We both like them. A lot.

One of the advantages of the speakers is the coaxial driver which is better at close listening distances than a typical multiway. May be an advantage in a small room.

Overall I find the KEFs very flat sounding, almost to a fault. A very linear sound, the high end never creeps up on you and it's one of those speakers where you just want to keep turning it up because it sounds better and better as it gets loud (to me, this is typical of speakers with a flat response). It's not dull though, and never feels like a blanket over the speakers like some speakers with a flat response can. In comparison, LS50s sound more alive and little more ragged.

Other speakers may sound more "exciting" however. I would also consider the amp the other part of the equation.

I have KEF R700. My friend has R500. We both like them. A lot.

One of the advantages of the speakers is the coaxial driver which is better at close listening distances than a typical multiway. May be an advantage in a small room.

Overall I find the KEFs very flat sounding, almost to a fault. A very linear sound, the high end never creeps up on you and it's one of those speakers where you just want to keep turning it up because it sounds better and better as it gets loud (to me, this is typical of speakers with a flat response). It's not dull though, and never feels like a blanket over the speakers like some speakers with a flat response can. In comparison, LS50s sound more alive and little more ragged.

Other speakers may sound more "exciting" however. I would also consider the amp the other part of the equation.

Here is the LS50 measurements from the same site.

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Where the R500 is pretty flat, you can see an enhancement in the bass and between 2 and 5khz, which would fit with your description.

Here is the LS50 measurements from the same site.

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Where the R500 is pretty flat, you can see an enhancement in the bass and between 2 and 5khz, which would fit with your description.

Yes, I really liked the LS50s. But I have a big room and a 50W class A amp. I felt like they wouldn't work with my system. But as far as how they were tuned I really liked them.

KEF has a new "R" series coming out or so I hear. So the existing "R" speakers will be or will be soon on sale at retail. They just came out with a new "Q" series (models below "R") that are getting rave reviews.

Attachments

• heissmann-acoustics-samuel-hq-lautsprecherbausaetze-23508.jpg
    heissmann-acoustics-samuel-hq-lautsprecherbausaetze-23508.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 247
  • heissmann-acoustics-samuel-hq-lautsprecherbausaetze-23509.jpg
    heissmann-acoustics-samuel-hq-lautsprecherbausaetze-23509.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Yes, I really liked the LS50s. But I have a big room and a 50W class A amp. I felt like they wouldn't work with my system. But as far as how they were tuned I really liked them.

KEF has a new "R" series coming out or so I hear. So the existing "R" speakers will be or will be soon on sale at retail. They just came out with a new "Q" series (models below "R") that are getting rave reviews.

Yes I've been drooling about the Q900's... But they are over my budget, they cost as much per speaker as building a pair of Samuel HQ's.

And I enjoy building a new set of speakers myself. Decisions decisions.. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.