Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Diy kit vs Kef R500..?
Diy kit vs Kef R500..?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Ita0101 is offline Ita0101  Israel
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Israel
I can't listen to speaker kits too where I live.
I'm about to start my first build and I think strongly on the Ekta MKII by Troels.
I listened a lot to ScanSpeak drivers and I like them, I heard them in speakers and as car components and always love them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 02:44 AM   #12
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member
 
LineSource's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SiliconValley
Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers with SB29RDC-4 tweets ==== $806 from MadiSound.com

Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers with TW29R-4 tweets ==== $986 from MadiSound.com

The $52 SB29RDC-4 dome tweeter measures almost identical to the Satori $146 TW29R-4 and can be swapped. This saves $180/pair

Parts for TWO Martin King's MTM Speakers ==== $806
Four Satori MR16P = $600
Two SB29RDC-4 = $104
Two 13mH Sledgehammer inductors = $64
Two 18AWG 0.4mH inductors = $11.40
Two 20uF Dayton caps = $15
Six 10W resistors = $12
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
Parts for 2 Samuel HQ speakers : 520 euros.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:03 PM   #14
C37 is offline C37  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brussels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
I'm looking for "the last speakers I'll buy/make"
Don't say last! Beside the speakers, think of the acoustics of your kitchen- it's 5x5 m square, you could sim that with intended placement and see what happens. In my experience it's the acoustics that will make or brake your "last" speakers, however good they are...
__________________
Ohm sweet ohm
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:28 PM   #15
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
This may be of interest - measurement s of the Kef R500, you may be able to compare this with your candidate speakers.


SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
I have KEF R700. My friend has R500. We both like them. A lot.

One of the advantages of the speakers is the coaxial driver which is better at close listening distances than a typical multiway. May be an advantage in a small room.

Overall I find the KEFs very flat sounding, almost to a fault. A very linear sound, the high end never creeps up on you and it's one of those speakers where you just want to keep turning it up because it sounds better and better as it gets loud (to me, this is typical of speakers with a flat response). It's not dull though, and never feels like a blanket over the speakers like some speakers with a flat response can. In comparison, LS50s sound more alive and little more ragged.

Other speakers may sound more "exciting" however. I would also consider the amp the other part of the equation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:12 PM   #17
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
I have KEF R700. My friend has R500. We both like them. A lot.

One of the advantages of the speakers is the coaxial driver which is better at close listening distances than a typical multiway. May be an advantage in a small room.

Overall I find the KEFs very flat sounding, almost to a fault. A very linear sound, the high end never creeps up on you and it's one of those speakers where you just want to keep turning it up because it sounds better and better as it gets loud (to me, this is typical of speakers with a flat response). It's not dull though, and never feels like a blanket over the speakers like some speakers with a flat response can. In comparison, LS50s sound more alive and little more ragged.

Other speakers may sound more "exciting" however. I would also consider the amp the other part of the equation.

Here is the LS50 measurements from the same site.

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Where the R500 is pretty flat, you can see an enhancement in the bass and between 2 and 5khz, which would fit with your description.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:15 PM   #18
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg10 View Post
Here is the LS50 measurements from the same site.

SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - NRC Measurements: KEF LS50 Loudspeakers

Where the R500 is pretty flat, you can see an enhancement in the bass and between 2 and 5khz, which would fit with your description.
Yes, I really liked the LS50s. But I have a big room and a 50W class A amp. I felt like they wouldn't work with my system. But as far as how they were tuned I really liked them.

KEF has a new "R" series coming out or so I hear. So the existing "R" speakers will be or will be soon on sale at retail. They just came out with a new "Q" series (models below "R") that are getting rave reviews.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg10 View Post
This may be of interest - measurement s of the Kef R500, you may be able to compare this with your candidate speakers.


SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com - SoundStageNetwork.com | SoundStage.com
Here's some measurements of the Samuel HQ I have in mind.
Looks good to me as well I think?
This was measured without the optional impedance correction (for tube amplifiers?) In the crossover.

Last edited by Pygmy; 2nd May 2018 at 09:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:23 PM   #20
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Haarlem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
Yes, I really liked the LS50s. But I have a big room and a 50W class A amp. I felt like they wouldn't work with my system. But as far as how they were tuned I really liked them.

KEF has a new "R" series coming out or so I hear. So the existing "R" speakers will be or will be soon on sale at retail. They just came out with a new "Q" series (models below "R") that are getting rave reviews.
Yes I've been drooling about the Q900's... But they are over my budget, they cost as much per speaker as building a pair of Samuel HQ's.

And I enjoy building a new set of speakers myself. Decisions decisions..
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Diy kit vs Kef R500..?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1D S Merlington Car Audio 10 17th July 2018 04:55 PM
RF Prime R500-1d help identify components! ray9043 Car Audio 14 10th November 2017 01:07 AM
JVC KW R500 Sanoop Car Audio 2 16th April 2016 05:42 PM
Inter-M schematic please... Model R300 or R500 destroyer X Solid State 4 12th March 2011 09:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki