Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kairos 3-way cabinet
Kairos 3-way cabinet
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Ita0101 is offline Ita0101  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Kairos 3-way cabinet

Hi,

I'm thinking to start first project with Kairos 3 way.

I understand that I can't change the angle on the front TM baffle, am I right?

Any idea for simple cabinet design for this kit?
Classic design would be great, or something more sexy than the original Kairos 3-way design.
I have basic wood & audio skills but I want to learn through this project. I can use wood workshop/CNC if needed for certain parts.

I have 3.5m X 4.5m room, so I think to make the woofer cabinet as small as I can, something like 400mm X 400mm X 400mm, and maybe with small stands - Is it possible? even that I prefer classic design or something more attractive.

I have SVS SB2000
DENON AVR-X24000H - After the speakers build I'll find good amp
Music: Rock, Rap, Jazz, Indie & Blues.
Source: PC (Tidal, Hi-Res, Deezer & Spotify)
90% Music / 10% HT
Soon to buy miniDSPs
Listen alone most of the time and not loud - regular.

Thanks!

Itamar.

Last edited by Ita0101; 19th April 2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 19th April 2018, 01:57 PM   #2
pa12 is offline pa12
diyAudio Member

Adelphos Full Speaker Kit (Pair) - Meniscus Audio
Old 19th April 2018, 04:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot..I didn't pay attention to it.

What do you think of making small woofer cabinet? 13" x 13" x 13" ? and put on small stands?

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2018, 05:19 PM   #4
pa12 is offline pa12
diyAudio Member

Iím new to the world of building speakers also.
The size of the woofer cabinet your wishing to build is onthe small side.
Eliminate the stands and increase the woofer cabinet to the appropriatesize.
The following link is of a Kairos 3-way build. It shouldgive you more insight into the design.
https://sites.google.com/site/mpbarneyspeakers/
Mark
Old 19th April 2018, 05:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I saw this file, very informative. Thanks.

I understand that would prevent the woofer go lower, but I want to make the cabinet on the small side because I have small room and powered sub (SVS SB2000). I really like the combination of 2 powered subs in any type of stereo system (3way, 2way, 2.5way ETC) and I think (and maybe totally wrong) that if the woofer cabinet will be smaller it would help the subs to combine well.
Old 19th April 2018, 07:53 PM   #6
pa12 is offline pa12
diyAudio Member

Per Madisound:
Sealed cabinet of 0.8 cubic feet (22.6 liters) for a F3 of 48 Hz.
Vented cabinet of 2.0 cubic feet (56.6 liters) with 3" dia. port by 12" long for a F3 of 28 Hz.
Since you have two subs. I would go with the sealed version.
Which a 12" Wide x 12" High x 10" Deep would give you 0.83 cubic feet (internal volume).
Old 19th April 2018, 10:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

Jef Bagby wrote in the 3-Way pdf that F3 with 12" Width x 14" Depth x 22+" Height can go low to 40 Hz.
Even with 40 Hz I need powered sub/s
Old 20th April 2018, 08:34 AM   #8
giralfino is online now giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

IMHO, if you plan to use the powered sub, you don't need the 3-way option. Build simply the Kairos or Adelphos and try to integrate them with the sub, try both the sealed and vented options, depending on how you connect the sub + speakers to the amp.

Ralf
Old 20th April 2018, 09:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comment.

In the last post I opened about this topic many forum members advice me to build 3 way with minimum 8" woofer (or similar) to feel the low notes.

Right now I'm using 2-Way bookshelfs + powered sub. The bookshelfs is Elipson Studio Pro with XT25 tweeters and peerless Nomex midrange. It is sounds good and fun, but not like a proper 3 way, not the same image and instruments separation. In the last week I listened again to expensive and well reputed bookshelfs and always found something missing. The less expensive 3-way sounds better.

Got confused again :<

Last edited by Ita0101; 20th April 2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:47 AM   #10
giralfino is online now giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

If you want a true 3-way then build it. If you want a 2-way with additional bass capability then build something like the Kairos + woofer OR Kairos + your sub. The optional woofer for the Kairos design is roughly equivalent to a sub (one has to argue of what a sub really is).
The 10" is fully capable of playing the low notes, no need to add an additional sub. What is good with the woofer option for the Kairos is that it provides a correct integration in both SPL and phase, something you need to find by yourself if you opt for the sub instead.

Quote:
Right now I'm using 2-Way bookshelfs + powered sub. The bookshelfs is Elipson Studio Pro with XT25 tweeters and peerless Nomex midrange. It is sounds good and fun, but not like a proper 3 way, not the same image and instruments separation.
Maybe you have integration problems, maybe your speakers don't have a proper BSC applied. But if you feel that a 3 way is superior to a 2-way + sub, then don't build the Kairos, and search instead a plan for a real 3-way. Just a note thou: have you ever listened to a 3-way in your room?

Ralf

Kairos 3-way cabinetHide this!Advertise here!