Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Kairos 3-way cabinet
Kairos 3-way cabinet
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2018, 01:01 AM   #41
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

I have built the Kairos Three Way using the SB Acoustics SB29NRX75-6 ten inch woofer and the recommended crossover from Meniscus.
In my opinion this crossover design does not match that woofer.It might be fine with a 4 ohm woofer but the SB Acoustics is a 6 ohm and simply sounds wrong.Changing from a 4 ohm to 6 ohm driver surely must change the crossover points significantly-well technically it does anyway.
There seems to be a lot of overlap in the mid/upper bass area between about 110Hz and 250 Hz.This is mentioned in the white paper but I really think it sounds a lot more obvious than the measurements would appear to indicate and the excellent sound qualities of the two way module are spoiled by this overlap.

I think I have largely fixed this problem by some quite simple modifications to the crossover but would be reluctant to post these changes here as they may be technically imperfect -but the sound is MUCH better to my ears [and anyone else who has heard the difference].

Last edited by jtgofish; 22nd July 2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:07 AM   #42
bvan is offline bvan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting. Would you be happy to outline the general change, i.e did you go to 2nd order or lower the woofer xo point of level, etc.

Cheers
B
Old 22nd July 2018, 08:57 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

I left the woofer crossover as it was except for removing the 3 ohm resistor..You could try a 75 -100 uF capacitor on the high pass crossover to the two way instead of the 150uF in conjuction with removing the 10 ohm resistors.That sounds radical because those resistors must be there for a good technical reason [damping resistors] but they seem to also damp the life and vibrancy out of the speaker.As I said this might be technically imperfect but to me sounds a lot better.
What sounds best may also be impacted by which inductor is used in the two way section,Mine is the basic laminated core so probably has less insertion loss than the air core alternative.
Also try a bit lower value resistor in place of the 6.2 ohm on the tweeter.My Kairos sounded a bit dull but that could also be due to the inductor on the mid .

Last edited by jtgofish; 22nd July 2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:11 AM   #44
bvan is offline bvan  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, interesting.
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:53 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvan View Post
Thanks for that, interesting.

There are of course other solutions-either move the crossover on the woofer down or make the high pass crossover slope steeper but I chose the simpler and less parts approach which is probably preferable if you can get away with it.
Why waste power heating up resistors and driving higher value inductors?
Old 29th July 2018, 07:29 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Another update.
If you are using the SB Acoustics 29NRX woofer I think it pays to change the inductor on the low pass to something like 7.5 mH rather than the 5mh specified.That is more in keeping with a 6 ohm speaker crossover.I used a 7.8mH because that is what I had.In the Parts Express forum a crossover for this was woofer in a Kairos type 3 way was specified to use a 7.5uF inductor and a 200uF cap- just to confirm my experiments-.Wish I had have known that before! Getting the sound sorted was driving me nuts!
And to contradict myself in the above posts leave the 150uF caps as they are and also use the 10R resistor parallel resistor.-they are fine like that once you correct the woofer crossover point [make it lower] by increasing the inductor value there.[getting rid of the obvious overlap].
I still prefer it with the 3 ohm resistor on the low pass removed.

It sounds very good.Just have to make a better bass cabinet.

Last edited by jtgofish; 29th July 2018 at 07:46 AM.

Kairos 3-way cabinetHide this!Advertise here!