Rod Elliot's test box for impedance flattening - starting point?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Started on my first two-way project (SB12PFC25-4 + SB19ST-C000-4 in a 7L vented box).

I just built Rod Elliot's "test box": Loudspeaker Test Box

As he describes it "No maths, no spreadsheets, just a quick frequency scan and twiddle a couple of knobs to get the values needed".

First I need something to generate a sweep. I found this tutorial by Claudio Negro (Claudio Negro's home page, how to project and test a loudspeaker using Speaker Workshop) which I guess I can follow not only to generate a sweep but also to capture impedance graph. Is it a good option or there is an easier one?

Second question is where to start with cap/resistance knobs. I think there are way too many combination for the process to be be "quick". Any suggestions for the initial settings for the knobs? Should I use some online calculator, and then twiddle a bit to see how it affects the curve?

Third question. Is it actually worth doing it? Can I just measure impedance curve and frequency response and then model zobel and crossover in XSim?

Oh, and one last question! Should I measure impedance in free air or in a box?. Basically should I build test box close to final dimensions before attempting to measure?

thanks

Vladimir

Third question is most important. :)

No, not worth doing.

For T/S values, use free air. This is what you use for box design.

For impedance, you should design your crossover with the in-box measurements, but for tweeters and sealed midrange drivers this is essentially the same as free-air. This is part of what you will need for crossover design.

If you wish to buy, DATS or OmniMic+DATS is a great choice. Otherwise, you can use Room EQ Wizard with a home made jig to get the necessary measurements.

Best,

E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.