MLTL & port length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I m planning a MLTL with a 45cm long 10cm dia port tuned to 30Hz. Usually I see people using shorter ports, so I did not find anyone asking this question that I am about to. Does the length of the port contribute to the total length of the transmission line for calculation of quarter-wave resonance frequency?

45cm is significantly long and I plan to place the port (maybe slot) outside the TL.

Thanks.

Theoretically, in an ML-TL the system is tuned by two contributors, the 1/4-wavelength resonant frequency from the line's length and the port's dimensions. The length of the line will determine how much it contributes, and the port will make up the difference. For instance if you were building the most simplest form of an ML-TL, a floor-stander where the internal height is the line's length and that was, say, 40", its 1/4-wave resonant frequency would only be about 84 Hz, and if you were needing a system tuning frequency of 30 Hz, the port would be doing the most work. Now, if you had a longer line, say, 60", its 1/4-wave resonance would be ~56 Hz, allowing it to contribute a much larger part of the tuning and the port much less. Based on the length of your proposed port, it would seem there's very little contribution to the tuning from any internal dimension of the cabinet, or that the port's diameter is larger than absolutely necessary.
Paul

Hi,

I m planning a MLTL with a 45cm long 10cm dia port tuned to 30Hz. Usually I see people using shorter ports, so I did not find anyone asking this question that I am about to. Does the length of the port contribute to the total length of the transmission line for calculation of quarter-wave resonance frequency?

45cm is significantly long and I plan to place the port (maybe slot) outside the TL.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.